People are driving like maniacs!

Drove another 5 hours today, on the highway. It's snowy here, frigid cold but mostly clear roads (or black ice) on main highways. Extremely windy during much of the drive, with a sideways wind that I could feel pushing my car. I was going below the highway speed limit. I saw at least 1 major accident, which was a flipped over pickup truck and a spun out car in the median of the interstate.

Does this weather slow these idiots down? Not at all. Probably 100 cars, trucks, and SUVs passed me, many going 80 or 90 mph, some faster. *** are these folks in such a hurry to get to, with sub zero temps on the interstate in the middle of winter?!

It is unbelievable how stupid people are. Assuming the average drive is say 2 hours, driving 10mph over the limit saves them what, less than 15 minutes over a 160 mile journey (factoring more refueling stops in the aggregate from speeding). A lot less if the distance is shorter. Risking your life, your family, others on the road, etc. to save a few minutes is absolutely nuts. (Oh, and note that driving a lot faster generally means less MPGs so that time savings is eaten up by more frequent refueling... the irony).

Does this weather slow these idiots down? Not at all. Probably 100 cars, trucks, and SUVs passed me, many going 80 or 90 mph, some faster.
I used to think this way too, then realized: vast majority of these people were making it home. I was not coming across them in the ditch (usually). At that point I stopped caring about it.

Assuming the average drive is say 2 hours, driving 10mph over the limit saves them what, less than 15 minutes over a 160 mile journey (factoring more refueling stops in the aggregate from speeding).
First off, it should only need a single refueling stop, most cars can do that trip twice, if they start off with a full tank. Second, this ignores the fact for some, driving is something they enjoy, and driving slow is either stressful or boring. Loss of mpg may be offset by driving enjoyment. Third, if they have to do this trip on a regular basis, the minor time savings may add up over time, at least in their eyes. Lastly, at least around here, driving at 10 over might put you at the median speed.

"Anyone who drives slower than me is a dumb sloth. Anyone who drives faster than me is a maniac and careless idiot."

At least that is what I caught myself thinking a few years ago. These days I just don't give a :poop:, as there are a lot more important things to worry about. Only thing I can do is be responsible for my own driving and actions.

"Anyone who drives slower than me is a dumb sloth. Anyone who drives faster than me is a maniac and careless idiot."

At least that is what I caught myself thinking a few years ago. These days I just don't give a :poop:, as there are a lot more important things to worry about. Only thing I can do is be responsible for my own driving and actions.

All I suggest is that folks drive reasonable for the weather.

Speed limits are posted law, for maximum driving speed in ideal conditions. Speeding itself, is both unreasonable by definition, and unwise. Speeding when there is 6 inches of snow and sideways wind, with patches of ice almost certainly on the road, is not just your problem. It's the problem of other drivers you might hit. It's the problem of delays you cause by your own accidents (my plans were altered and delayed yesterday by 20 minutes due to an accident). It's the problem of the families you impact when you kill others from negligence per se driving habits...

All I suggest is that folks drive reasonable for the weather.

Speed limits are posted law, for maximum driving speed in ideal conditions. Speeding itself, is both unreasonable by definition, and unwise. Speeding when there is 6 inches of snow and sideways wind, with patches of ice almost certainly on the road, is not just your problem. It's the problem of other drivers you might hit. It's the problem of delays you cause by your own accidents (my plans were altered and delayed yesterday by 20 minutes due to an accident). It's the problem of the families you impact when you kill others from negligence per se driving habits...
Agreed. Unfortunately I can't stick my brain and thought process into the head of the speeding idiot in the next vehicle. So the next best thing (and what I practice) is defensive driving. I stay in my lane at safe speed and mentally prep myself for an impact from one of those reckless drivers. That tactic helps me stay alert and improves my response time. Saved me from at least 10-15 accidents in 2021 alone. Again - Only thing I can do is be responsible for my own driving and actions.

In all my years of driving, it was finally this year that I figured out that setting the cruise about 2mph above the speed limit, and then monitoring the traffic in the left lane BEFORE I need to move over and pass has created a more relaxing driving experience. Watching my mirrors will tell me if the person is a left lane camper that is going to rubber band, or if they will fly by and move on. If they seem to be rubber banding, or barely going faster than me, I will accelerate to at least 5 mph above the speed limit, complete my pass, and move back over. If it ends up being more than one vehicle needing to be passed, I will set my cruise for that 5 above speed limit and then go back down after passing, as long as I won't impede the cars I just passed.

Dumb drivers aren't going to be allowed to ruin my day.

We have a large trip planned for this summer from Iowa to the OBX, and I am NOT looking forward to driving, and can't afford to fly (not that flying is any better these days). I will probably get a dash cam, and mentally prepare for whatever challenge will come my way.

Funny thing is, driving the speed limit gets me to where I want to go about the same time as trying to speed there. My Garmin unit has taught me that.

Drove another 5 hours today, on the highway. It's snowy here, frigid cold but mostly clear roads (or black ice) on main highways. Extremely windy during much of the drive, with a sideways wind that I could feel pushing my car. I was going below the highway speed limit. I saw at least 1 major accident, which was a flipped over pickup truck and a spun out car in the median of the interstate.

Does this weather slow these idiots down? Not at all. Probably 100 cars, trucks, and SUVs passed me, many going 80 or 90 mph, some faster. *** are these folks in such a hurry to get to, with sub zero temps on the interstate in the middle of winter?!

It is unbelievable how stupid people are. Assuming the average drive is say 2 hours, driving 10mph over the limit saves them what, less than 15 minutes over a 160 mile journey (factoring more refueling stops in the aggregate from speeding). A lot less if the distance is shorter. Risking your life, your family, others on the road, etc. to save a few minutes is absolutely nuts. (Oh, and note that driving a lot faster generally means less MPGs so that time savings is eaten up by more frequent refueling... the irony).
This, I can believe.

Maniacs.

I've seen stuff like this.

Screenshot_20220106-090538_Gallery.jpg

America... our country of plenty of wide open spaces... limits speed to roughly 65 mph... whereas Germany... the size of Montana
has not a general limit, the advisory speed limit is 130 km/h (81 mph)... America has the space for 90+ mph... all it takes is training...
Training is one thing. Enforcement? I mean, I know when I get off the highway, suddenly 45mph feels really slow... keeping people from applying highway speeds to side streets is bad enough already.

Putting that aside, the need for a car in tip-top shape goes up quite a bit as you bend the needle around the gauge.

Oh I agree with you.. Did you see the Arkansas one with a retaliatory stop and dangerous U-turn where trooper crashed into the back of their car after a motorist did honk at said trooper's Dingledorf driving? Also a maniac. Super ego..

"Drive reasonably for the weather" is too subjective of a statement. The weather above is normal for me nearly 6 months out of the year. Someone visiting from the south might panic and feel the need to slow down vs a local who has delt with this and learned how to traverse safety at the limit for years.

Last night I had a new Chevy 1500 PU. Tailgate me for several miles.
I was going 60mph in a 50 mph road. Rural road no shoulders.

He finally passed me at around 85 mpg and I slowed back to 55 mph.

Several miles later I had seen the bozo stopped by the cops.. Sometimes they get caught....
I did wave as I went by...

Last night I had a new Chevy 1500 PU. Tailgate me for several miles.
I was going 60mph in a 50 mph road. Rural road no shoulders.

He finally passed me at around 85 mpg and I slowed back to 55 mph.

Several miles later I had seen the bozo stopped by the cops.. Sometimes they get caught....
I did wave as I went by...
I caught up with a speeder who got pulled over twice, coming back from PA on the turnpike. Flew by me once, caught up with him after he was pulled over. Then he goes flying by again later. And I caught up with the same car again, pulled over. "Here is your sign."

America... our country of plenty of wide open spaces... limits speed to roughly 65 mph... whereas Germany... the size of Montana
has not a general limit, the advisory speed limit is 130 km/h (81 mph)... America has the space for 90+ mph... all it takes is training...
Congestion is putting downward pressure on speed limits in Germany.
It runs around $2,500 to get a license in Germany.
TUV inspection is taken seriously.
Those who are financially less fortunate or unable to pass the drivers exams have public transportation as an alternative.

Points 2-4 are why US will NEVER be like Germany.

Back