Penz Plat 5w-30 2K Ford 4.6

Status
Not open for further replies.
The car has 79K total miles and the oil was in the pan for a year with less than 1700 miles. It had several quarter mile passes and did see regular heavy duty street action. It also has a K&N installed and please I don't care about the k&n debate.

Last edited:
Looks like your K&N filter is letting a lot of dirt by.
45.gif

Originally Posted By: 02zx9r
I would ditch the k&n after another uoa if silicon doesnt go down

I agree. I ditched mine and went to a Fram based on Terry's advice.

I forgot that I also changed the intake. Probably the reason for the Silicon. The paranoia over K&N continues.

Originally Posted By: BuzzCut
I forgot that I also changed the intake. Probably the reason for the Silicon. The paranoia over K&N continues.

as long as the intake doesnt have a crack in it and sealed properly with the right gaskets, the only way air can get into the intake/engine is through the air induction system (air filter). So you changing the intake has nothing to do with the Si levels as long as the filter is filtering properly.

Possibly he meant he put in an aftermarket cold-air induction or something along those lines? If he changed any of the post-filter plumbing it's possible it might not have maintained air-tightness.

Sure. K&N is such an great air filter. It does not filter air.

Originally Posted By: tackleberry625

as long as the intake doesn't have a crack in it and sealed properly with the right gaskets, the only way air can get into the intake/engine is through the air induction system (air filter). So you changing the intake has nothing to do with the Si levels as long as the filter is filtering properly.

Yea ok...

Obviously you have never done the job and no matter how clean you think the area is... c_r_a_p gets in the engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: glennc
Possibly he meant he put in an aftermarket cold-air induction or something along those lines? If he changed any of the post-filter plumbing it's possible it might not have maintained air-tightness.

No I changed the intake manifold. No CAI or plumbing. Good grief... Reading is fundamental. It is truly obvious that you have never done your own engine work and watch the spike in SI levels afterwards. I do ALL my own work and my truck that I have posted earlier is a prime example of what I said. When I did intake gaskets it went up. My UOA's prove that fact.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dave1251

Sure. K&N is such an great air filter. It does not filter air.

Why do you care? Another biased K&N hating troll.

Last edited:

Why do you care? Another biased K&N hating troll.

I think if you look back through UOA Reports here over the years you will connect the dots with K&N and silicon.

as long as the intake doesn't have a crack in it and sealed properly with the right gaskets, the only way air can get into the intake/engine is through the air induction system (air filter). So you changing the intake has nothing to do with the Si levels as long as the filter is filtering properly.

Yea ok...

Obviously you have never done the job and no matter how clean you think the area is... c_r_a_p gets in the engine.

yeaaaaaaaaaaaaa ok. I have built and rebuilt hundreds of engines before to include high performance alcohol race engines and you can do the job without getting [censored] in the top of the engine. First degrease the engine well, then when the intake is taken off, stuff rags in the open ports so when u use the gasket scraper to remove the old gasket it doesn’t get into the holes. Then if is does get into the larger surface parts then that’s where the shop vac comes in. Sounds more to me like you are not as thorough as you could be. Oh yea, and don't tear an engine apart outside during a dry windy day.

or through the pcv valve in some applications

Nope...try again

explain

Originally Posted By: glennc
No I changed the intake manifold. No CAI or plumbing. Good grief... Reading is fundamental.

What you said was:

Not exactly a high-precision statement, hence my confusion over exactly what you meant.

I do ALL my own work and my truck that I have posted earlier is a prime example of what I said.

Beg your pardon?

I don't know how much dirt it takes to make 47ppm actually make its way into the oil. If you spilled some in the intake when you did the work then maybe a certain conclusion isn't possible.

Yeah, if you want us to know you changed the intake manifold, don't say "I changed the intake". I changed my intake too. So have hundreds of thousands of other do-it-yourselfers. I've never changed my intake MANIFOLD though...a little bit different.

Bob: "So the other day I changed my fuel. I couldn't figure out how release the tabs that held it in place. Finally I looked at a service manual and I figured it out."

Jim: "What? Tabs to hold your fuel in place?"

Bob: "Duh, fuel FILTER. It has tabs holding it in place...are you stupid?"

Jim: "Umm...riiight."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back