Pentosin CHF202 Alternatives or Substitutes?

My Hyundai Genesis Coupe calls for Pentosin CHF202 as the OE power steering fluid, but this stuff is getting harder to find and is expensive. I tend to like to change out my PSF regularly on all vehicles just because gunk always seems to build up in the reservoir screen mesh.

I understand this CHF202 stuff is also commonly used in various European applications like BMW, Audi, Porsche, Land Rover.

Is there any good substitute for this, or do people just suck it up and buy the real thing?

AFAIK there is no real substitute. Titan used to sell an equivalent but now I see they own Pentosin. I see it available on Amazon and I used to buy it at NAPA for my old BMW, have you checked either of those places?

AFAIK there is no real substitute. Titan used to sell an equivalent but now I see they own Pentosin. I see it available on Amazon and I used to buy it at NAPA for my old BMW, have you checked either of those places?
Yup, that's where I would get it. It's just surprisingly expensive! I'm thinking now maybe it would be worthwhile to run an inline filter and extend the intervals.

Probably not a substitute (but very similar in name), I always think of Pitocin, the drug given to women to induce labor! 😅 They should really consider changing their brand.

$18 for a liter at my local NAPA. Best I’ve found when shipping is included. It’s $24/liter on Amazon, for example. FCP has a decent price, but shipping adds to it.

Perhaps you're changing your PS fluid too often? IIRC it's a 3 or more year cycle.
I'm in Canada so this stuff is $40/L at the cheapest. Up to $80/L at the dealerships!

Car has 80,000km now. Last (first) change was 40,000km ago and the fluid is strangely amber color now, not dark green. Must be mixing with whatever was in there from the factory. Fluid doesn't appear that dirty, but there's gunk at the bottom of the reservoir which I'm not a fan of. I usually clean off the reservoir at each change. Also, last time I believe I only did a drain and fill. I think I'd get more fluid out if I actuated the steering wheel back and forth a few times.

This might be helpful​

The highlighted text is my input (green), so it stands out.

I use the CHF 202 in my 2006 Volvo XC90 power steering application

Purchased at Advances Auto in Newington Ct.

TOMB

Product Information​

Long-Life synthetic hydraulic fluid for modern vehicles
Pentosin CHF 202 is a synthetic high performance hydraulic fluid for life-time application in modern vehicle aggregates. Pentosin CHF 202 is especially designed for hydraulics in the automotive industry with the highest technical requirements such as: power steering, clutch hydraulic, electro-hydraulic mechanisms of convertible tops, etc. It is suitable for all extreme ambient temperatures and guarantees full performance from -40°C to 130°C system temperature.
CHF202 is also compatible with CHF11S.
Pentosin is recognized by professional repair technicians around the world as the leader in central hydraulic fluid technology. The Pentosin hydraulic program from CRP Automotive offers OEM/OES approved high-tech safety fluids formulated for hydraulic systems such as power steering, rear axle steering, level control, hydro-pneumatic suspension, and shock absorbers.
Ideal for cold weather climates, Pentosin Hydraulic Fluids are synthetic-based and have an operating temperature range from -40°F (-40°C) to +275°F (+135°C). In fact, they're guaranteed to work perfectly even under extreme temperature changes.
Used by more than 25 global vehicle manufacturers as OE-first fill, Pentosin hydraulic fluids meet DIN 51 524T3 and ISO 7308 specification standards.

About Pentosin​

Pentosin was founded in 1927 in Hamburg, Germany and is the leading innovator and supplier of synthetic and mineral oil-based fluids for the automotive industry. They are the OE supplier for many of the world's automotive automobile producers. They are also the leading developer for dual clutch transmission fluid. When it comes to quality, durability, and a brand you can trust, be sure to choose Pentosin when it comes to fluid need in your vehicle.

It's still only $21 on RA, which is where you were buying it before @nobb, combined with other parts. CT also has their European OEM for $28.

Last edited:
There's the cheaper Pentofluid EHF

Since you're in Canada, you can also get the synthetic Febi 6161.
Napa doesn't sell the synthetic 6161 in the US, only the non-synthetic M6162.

I'm in Canada so this stuff is $40/L at the cheapest. Up to $80/L at the dealerships!

Car has 80,000km now. Last (first) change was 40,000km ago and the fluid is strangely amber color now, not dark green. Must be mixing with whatever was in there from the factory. Fluid doesn't appear that dirty, but there's gunk at the bottom of the reservoir which I'm not a fan of. I usually clean off the reservoir at each change. Also, last time I believe I only did a drain and fill. I think I'd get more fluid out if I actuated the steering wheel back and forth a few times.
If you are doing it with a turkey baster you are just wasting your time and money, pull the return from the reservoir, fit a piece of pcv tubing to it so you can get it into a container and turn the wheel engine off lock to lock until the reservoir is empty then fill and repeat or have someone start the engine and run it a few seconds til the reservoir is empty then fill and repeat until the fluid coming out looks like the new stuff going in.

There is no real substitute for the Pentosin CHF 202 or CHF 11S (you can mix those or use either one, it doesnt matter), you gotta bite the bullet.

It's still only $21 on RA, which is where you were buying it before @nobb, combined with other parts. CT also has their European OEM for $28.
I was disappointed to find out that RA doesn't ship certain fluids to Canada.

There's a bunch of Euro spec alternatives like the OEM brand from Canadian Tire, Prestone, Beck Arnley, and etc. Don't know if they are actually equivalent.

There's a bunch of Euro spec alternatives like the OEM brand from Canadian Tire, Prestone, Beck Arnley, and etc. Don't know if they are actually equivalent.
If I still had my BMW I would not use them. Perhaps that is just out of ignorance but I wouldn't.

Alternatives I know are Febi 06161, Prestone PSF European, EHF, CHF11S.

Prestone comes in a small bottle so price per quantity is worse than 202. EHF is marketed as a cheaper alternative which might work well for you if you're set on changing out the PSF regularly for the long term. CHF11S is harder to find here in the US than 202, usually more expensive too.

I use Febi. No complaints yet but I live in a very warm region and I'll never get the opportunity to test the PSF's cold performance. I wouldn't mix fluids from different brands though.

I use Febi. No complaints yet but I live in a very warm region and I'll never get the opportunity to test the PSF's cold performance. I wouldn't mix fluids from different brands though.
From looking at the specs, it appears CHF 11S (and therefore Febi 06161) is slightly superior to CHF 202? Lower pour point and better VI.

From looking at the specs, it appears CHF 11S (and therefore Febi 06161) is slightly superior to CHF 202? Lower pour point and better VI.

Buy the Febi online and pick up in-store to get the 10% discount, and it comes out to under $27/L which seems like the best you can do up there

Back