Pennzoil Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, a little more info on the vehicle and what weight of PU you used would be helpful, but in general PU is excellent stuff.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
Yes, a little more info on the vehicle and what weight of PU you used would be helpful, but in general PU is excellent stuff.

2000 Oldsmobile Intrigue, 5W-30

If you are going to do 3k oci no. If you have to do 5k oci no.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Laddie
I just did an oil change and I used Pennzoil Ultra, did I make a good choice?

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Good!? This may go down as the best decision you've ever made in your entire life.

+1. (lol) I have made this choice for one of my vehicles, the one I drive and the one I am owner of. I care a lot about that car and I choose PU for it. 10k mile OCI.

Last edited:
Good choice? Yes indeed. But really no better than if you'd chosen M1, PP, QSUD, VSP, CE, RP, or any other name-brand high-quality synthetic that meets or exceeds the specs your vehicle calls for.

Speaking of Pennzoil Ultra I noticed the rather low pour point of 51C and looked on the MSDS to read this:

2. COMPOSITION/INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS
Fischer-Tropsch derived base oil, consisting largely of branched, cyclic and linear hydrocarbons
having carbon numbers in the range of C18 to C50.
Highly refined mineral oils, synthetic hydrocarbon oils and additives.
The highly refined mineral oil contains w) DMSO-extract, according to IP346.
The highly refined mineral oil is only present as additive diluent.

In plain English, can anyone explain what a Fischer-Tropsch derived based oil is?

Last edited:
If you like to extend OCI to 10k miles or longer, then it's good idea to take a sample, while the oil is still in service, at 7.5k miles and get a UOA. Then you will be able to see how much longer PU will be in service.

Hey guys!
smile.gif
If i can't get Pennzoil Ultra.. what would be the best alternative for 5w20 and 5w30? The walmart in bellingham washington seemed to stop carrying pennzoil ultra...

Pennzoil Platinum, Castrol Edge Syntec, Valvoline SynPower or any other suggestion? Planning on just following the oil life monitor in both of the cars so i just want to use a decent synthetic oil...

Originally Posted By: mauric3
Hey guys!
smile.gif
If i can't get Pennzoil Ultra.. what would be the best alternative for 5w20 and 5w30? The walmart in bellingham washington seemed to stop carrying pennzoil ultra...

Pennzoil Platinum, Castrol Edge Syntec, Valvoline SynPower or any other suggestion? Planning on just following the oil life monitor in both of the cars so i just want to use a decent synthetic oil...

Any of those would be a good alternative. I am on a Quaker State Ultimate Durability(QSUD) full synthetic kick right now @ < $21 for 5qt jug.

Originally Posted By: Laddie
Originally Posted By: KD0AXS

2000 Oldsmobile Intrigue, 5W-30

Just a little bit more. What size engine?

Hey guys!
smile.gif

You can go to Walmart web site to see which Walmart in your area carries it. If it said out of stock, you can request an email when it gets it back in stock. I found PP 0w20 is often out of stock. I request an in-stock email and it comes in a few days later, but then goes out a stock a few days after that. Maybe the same thing happens to PU in your area.

All of those wind up being rolled back to around $24.88 or less at Walmart. If you like 4.4L jugs, do the Castrol. If you like 4.73L jugs, do the PP or Valvoline.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back