Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w20 Manufactured 9/29/2020 is not GF-6

Return it then. For most of us the difference between GF-5 and GF-6 is really splitting hairs. If you feel like you've been deprived of maximum value on your purchase since you didn't get GF-6, the obvious solution is to return the product and look for one that is GF-6 at a retail outlet.

I suppose it's possible someone out there might have already purchased a 2021 vehicle that specifically calls out GF-6 in the owner's manual, but otherwise, you're wasting more time kvetching over this than the value of the oil you'll be returning. And really, what is the value of your time?

We are not in disagreement I can assure, especially when it comes to valuing one's time versus money. I am just glad that I saw this thread before ordering the product in question. I will definitely be on the lookout for SP/GF6 Magnatec, Edge, or Royal Purple at my local retailers.

What difference does it make if a full synthetic oil is SP/GF-6 or SN+/GF-5, the top tier SN+/GF-5 rated stuff more than likely far exceeded the requirements of the previous standard and probably exceeds the requirements of the new standard. The only real benefits of going to SP/GF-6 are shoud really only to be seen on the lowest tier conventional which had to be significantly reformulated to meet new standards.

What difference does it make if a full synthetic oil is SP/GF-6 or SN+/GF-5, the top tier SN+/GF-5 rated stuff more than likely far exceeded the requirements of the previous standard and probably exceeds the requirements of the new standard. The only real benefits of going to SP/GF-6 are shoud really only to be seen on the lowest tier conventional which had to be significantly reformulated to meet new standards.
We do not know for sure if all GF-5 oils are indeed overspec'd and meet or exceed GF-6, I have posted a diagram that shows several areas where GF-6 formulation needs to change from GF-5. Companies do not need to overinvest in GF-5 oils if they can save while meeting the standard, they would do it to increase profits. I think GF-6 is only valuable to folks who has risks of IVD in front of them like GM 5.3 users where oil plays a critical role. If I did not own this 5.3 DI engine I will just put whatever minimum manufacturer requires.

This kind of situation happens every time a change is made in oil specs or formulation. The supply chain is nothing something that can change at a snap of a finger. We all want what we sense is the latest and greatest but there will always be a lag time from announcement to product on the shelves everywhere.

If you have been running SN+ /GF5 up till now, one more oil change is not going to make a hill of beans difference.

The better chances of find the newer oils would be at busier outlets.

New TDS from the website says 0W-20 is SP/GF-6A.

Pennzoil GF-6 FAQ indicates the PP product line was 'GF-6 ready' by sometime in 2019.

I'm sticking with my 'new SP/GF-6A formula in an old SN+/GF-5 bottle' theory : ) But I understand the concern; I, for example, will only put d1G2 licensed oils in my truck while it is under warranty, because it gives me the peace of mind/warm and fuzzy feeling. If OP and others want the SP label for assurance and peace of mind, more power to you!

Same issue here, got PUP 0w-20 manufactured on Sep 29, 2020 but its GF-5. Trying to contact sPennzoil for an explanation as their website indicates that on May 1st PUP 0w-20 met GF-6.

They probably do meet GF-6a, I see no risk in using it. Very thin oil when poured. People are commenting that PUP quiets down the engine, but I have experienced the opposite coming off Amsoil XL Boosted. It has nothing to do with GF-6a, but this is what I am hearing acoustically from my engine with Sep 29, 2020 manufactured PUP. Acoustics is not a measure of quality of oil and as a high cleaning oil PUP has good additive pack. UOA is out to Napa, so we will see how Amsoil XL did. Amsoil claims that all of their oils are 100% synthetic vs. PUP being Full Synthetic.

Definitely will use it, I dont need SP, just wanted to find out if its already meeting GF-6a and its just a label issue.
I am on the side to use cheaper synthetics and change them more often rather than boutique oils with longer drains.
I got a garage and jack, with these cheap oil prices its no big deal to change cheaper oil more often.

Back