Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w20 Manufactured 9/29/2020 is not GF-6

I just received 0w20 PUP in 2 5-quart jars and both are manufactured on 9/29/2020 and they are not GF-6 certified. Pennzoil site says that PUP is GF-6. Anyone has any insights if this yellow unicorn GF-6 PUP exists and was it re-formulated?
Looks like all brands are noting GF-6 on their websites but Walmart fresh stock does not show GF-6 for PUP, even M1 EP is not showing as GF-6.

I do not mean to open another oil thread, but I cannot find the thread about these new GF-6 re-formulations. I am awaiting my VOA kit from Blackstone and I am contemplating if I am to do VOAs on both new PUP and M1 EP? Certainly, do not want to repeat if someone has already looked into this before. My truck is 2020 GM's 5.3 8-cyl DI and an only goal I have is to minimize IVD on this truck. Nowhere on GM-trucks or TahoeYukon forums I can find any evidence that since 2018 these 5.3 DI engines indeed have catch cans built into PCV system.

Screen Shot 2020-11-18 at 17.25.13.png
IMG_5096.jpeg
IMG_5097.jpeg

It's the same for Rotella Gas Truck, I seen someone post they got some with an August date code and it was still only SN Plus even though the website shows it's SP, might be a while longer before we see SP in stores for the lower volume SOPUS products.

I went to Walmart in person just now and tried to buy M1 EP 0w20 and in single quarts they have EP as GF-6 but 5-quart jars are all old stock GF-5. It looks like slow supply chain. Pennzoil Platinum is GF-6. Any insights on M1 EP re-formulation? Mostly interested if PAO is indeed down to single % for 0w20 EP?

Maybe they're just using up old labels/jugs? Wouldn't surprise me if they over-ordered labels by a wide margin (with people driving less, and probably changing their oil less). Could well be GF-6A/SP formula in a GF-5/SN Plus jug. Maybe the same exact formula even.
Pretty common in the CPG industry to use up old labels w/new improved formula, if the new formula meets or exceeds the claims on the old label. (Better than having new label/old formula... That is usually a big problem.)
In any case, I wouldn't worry unless the vehicle requires GF-6A/SP.

So what does this mean in the real world ? I've never heard of GF-6 and haven't lost an engine yet because of it .

I emailed Warren Distribution several weeks ago asking if they had to make changes to SuperTech oil for SP. I normally get a response within 2 or 3 days. I never heard back from them. I'm thinking the Supertech SN+/dex1 Gen 2 oil already passed for SP and just got new labels.

I am less concerned about GF-6 itself, my naive understanding was that GF-6 is another way of knowing that oil will be "friendlier" to non-ported DI engines and less likely to cause IVD on this over-designed or under-designed engines (like Ecotec 5). "Old PAO PUP was probably all that with very low NOACK, good SA and TBN, but "new" GTL PUP seems as good as many other good oils but nothing special.
Information is so conflicting about GM DI, some claim that from 2018 all 5.3 Ecotec engines come with catch can in under PCV cover and IVD is lesser problem but nobody was able to show that it is true. If I have learned anything over the year it is that oil does play a critical role in DI engines for IVD reduction. Non-extended OCI, quality stable, low NOACK, SA oil are important to keep this 5.3 truck idling smooth. Wish GM thought about adding a port to wash the intake valves.
PUP is $20 per 5-quart on Walmart and Amazon. I followed dozens of threads on BITOG about PUP, it is a good oil but not obvious if there are any special advantages for DI engines. I believe GF-6 just communicates that it meets more stringent than Dexos 1 Gen 2 criteria for DI (I do not know if this is true). To the same extent new GF-6 M1 EP 0w20 is almost no PAO and all GTL, probably due to cost.

I emailed Warren Distribution several weeks ago asking if they had to make changes to SuperTech oil for SP. I normally get a response within 2 or 3 days. I never heard back from them. I'm thinking the Supertech SN+/dex1 Gen 2 oil already passed for SP and just got new labels.
The 5w/30 COSTCO flavor of Warren, which I recently purchased, is SP rated.

@smokey_2020 thanks for posting this update. I was thinking about ordering some PUP 0w20 because I thought it was now SP/GF6 as both Walmart and Amazon have indicated online (Walmart description posted below). Looks like I will be getting Magnatec, Edge, or Royal Purple instead.

Capture+_2020-11-19-06-29-21.png

Capture+_2020-11-19-06-33-34.png

Last edited:
Do you have vehicles that require SP?

My wallet requires SP

The fact is that both Walmart's and Amazon's product descriptions and pictures at the very least suggest that the product that one can expect will be received upon purchase will be SP/GF6 certified. That is my concern, the parameters surrounding the usage of the product are irrelevant.

My wallet requires SP

The fact is that both Walmart's and Amazon's product descriptions and pictures at the very least suggest that the product that one can expect will be received upon purchase will be SP/GF6 certified. That is my concern, the parameters surrounding the usage of the product are irrelevant.
I struggle to understand the near outrage here. Every manufacturer is in a transition period for this license, so if you are really, really invested in getting API SP I would suggest you go in person to a retail outlet and physically examine the product prior to purchase.

I struggle to understand the near outrage here. Every manufacturer is in a transition period for this license, so if you are really, really invested in getting API SP I would suggest you go in person to a retail outlet and physically examine the product prior to purchase.

Exactly. On my last trip to Walmart I saw both Valvoline and Mobil 1 among others clearly showing the SP /GF6 license.

I suspect not all Walmarts have GF-6 from M1 in 5-quart jars. Single quarts are all GF-6. 0w20 somehow is slower to get as GF-6 in Walmart. I will use my RTG for this fill as it is Dexos 1 Gen 2 for now.

Not sure if this graphic is helpful to everyone but it gives a sense of what GF-6 reformulates.

Attachments

• GF-6.png
    GF-6.png
    108.3 KB · Views: 140
My wallet requires SP

Return it then. For most of us the difference between GF-5 and GF-6 is really splitting hairs. If you feel like you've been deprived of maximum value on your purchase since you didn't get GF-6, the obvious solution is to return the product and look for one that is GF-6 at a retail outlet.

I suppose it's possible someone out there might have already purchased a 2021 vehicle that specifically calls out GF-6 in the owner's manual, but otherwise, you're wasting more time kvetching over this than the value of the oil you'll be returning. And really, what is the value of your time?

Back