Pennzoil Platinum - 15k mile or 1yr

Looks like Shell hopped on board now that they all claim 10k-25k miles. (Valvoline is the only one left yet to declare a longer drain interval).

They also make a non-GTL Pennzoil Synthetic rated for 10k/one year.

*not sure if this has already been posted.

1714154712761.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like Shell hoped on board now that they all claim 10k-25k miles. (Valvoline is the only one left yet to declare a longer drain interval).

View attachment 216211
I think you mean hopped on board and not hoped on board! LOL

Looks like Shell hopped on board now that they all claim 10k-25k miles. (Valvoline is the only one left yet to declare a longer drain interval).

View attachment 216211
Valvoline isn't going to do this as they won't honor warranty unless you change at 4k.

View attachment 216211
So ultra platinum will rated be rated for 20,000 miles?

Wonder what’s in super tech 20k formula… is it GTL?

I recently saw that Castrol upped their 'guaranteed protection' claims.
The gold Edge is now guaranteed for 25K. I think black Edge went from 10K to 15K.

The only way I'd do an OCI anywhere near that long would be on a 'lease' that I knew I wasn't going to buy.

So ultra platinum will rated be rated for 20,000 miles?

Wonder what’s in super tech 20k formula… is it GTL?

Since I'm currently running Supertech 20k formula I'm also curious as to what makes it different than their 10k formula. VOAs show it looking pretty much the same as the 10k formula, although I do realize you can't see everything in a $30 oil analysis and it definitely could have a better base oil or other things not visible in a typical VOA.

I recently saw that Castrol upped their 'guaranteed protection' claims.
The gold Edge is now guaranteed for 25K. I think black Edge went from 10K to 15K.

The only way I'd do an OCI anywhere near that long would be on a 'lease' that I knew I wasn't going to buy.

A lot of this kind of stuff is marketing blather as they will still tell you not go more than a year or exceed manufacturer intervals.

Sounds impressive though!

Good question. Quaker State 20k is but Shell has been reluctant to slap 20k on their other GTL products. 🤷‍♂️
If they did pennzoil ultra platinum wouldn’t sell. There has to be difference in the additive package over the two. Could greedy corporate America do that to consumers? lol. Bottle the same product in two different containers sell one at a higher price sounds nuts.

A lot of this kind of stuff is marketing blather as they will still tell you not go more than a year or exceed manufacturer intervals.

Sounds impressive though!
It is cheesy marketing labels makes a brand and product look cheap just copying the other brands trying to hijack the shelves. If it is capable of “25,000” miles then it clearly covers the entire oci spectrum of the market. A more professional label would be “Formulated to meet all drain intervals including extended intervals specified by the manufacturer”. *always refer to your owners manual*

Did they actually change formulation, or only changed the label?
Interesting that PUP does not have the same "15K" miles
Castrol Edge went to 15k and that brought out the 15k for Pennzoil Platinum.
It's just a matter of time where we will see Pennzoil Ultra Platinum at 25k, to match Castrol Edge Gold at 25k.

Back