Pennzoil Platinum 0W20 vs. M1 0W20 ?

In a 2020 Toyota Corola 1.8L MPI engine I was using M1 0W20 EP for 5K miles / 1 year (which ever came first) . Currently the car is mainly driven in the suburbs with a high run a couple of times per month , so I figured I'd save a few $$ off of the jug price and "drop down" to PPPP 0W20 synthetic . Outside of the listed specs for both where M1 has a higher flash point than Pennzoil - what about oxidation and NOACK differences between the two 0W20 oils ?

I have seen many cars run to 300,000 miles using quick lube oil and filters. 300,000 miles at 5,000 miles per years is 60 years of driving. 200,000 miles at 5000 miles per year is 40 years at 100,000 miles at 5,000 miles per year is 20 years What are we getting at with this question?

Last edited:
OK, guys make fun of me :ROFLMAO:

I have been a Pennzoil user for many years on & off but not lately I must say (aside from M1, Valvoline, QS and any toptier brands on sale) but there is this phrase in the bottle that really bothers me>>> "Made from Natural Gas". I know this is something modern & innovative coming from Pennzoil but it really scares the heck out me. I know, there are buyers out there that feels the same way I do upon reading that phrase and chooses other brands as a result . Maybe someday Ill get the courage into putting into one my vehicles.

pennz.jpg

Both oils are about 10 NOAK and are fine for 5,000 miles. Pup feels "thicker" than Afe in my 17 Camry. PP is slightly "thinner" than Pup. The Pup feels so "thick", I may switch to PP when it gets cold down here. Ymmv.

I believe M1 AFE 0W20 is the thickest if that is what you care for.

Last edited:

I have been a Pennzoil user for many years on & off but not lately I must say (aside from M1, Valvoline, QS and any toptier brands on sale) but there is this phrase in the bottle that really bothers me>>> "Made from Natural Gas". I know this is something modern & innovative coming from Pennzoil but it really scares the heck out me. I know, there are buyers out there that feels the same way I do upon reading that phrase and chooses other brands as a result . Maybe someday Ill get the courage into putting into one my vehicles.

View attachment 111680
Surely you Jest, "Really scares the heck out of me" :LOL:

View attachment 111680
I ran this without issue in a 350 horse, 4 cylinder with 23 pounds of boost without issue. You’ll be fine.

AFE 0W-20 is 8.1cSt @ 100C
PUP 0W-20 is 8.8cSt @ 100C

So yes, it's slightly heavier, but nobody's butt dyno is sensitive enough to feel 0.7cSt, that's noise.
Bizzare. AFE was 8.8 before. When did it changed?

Edit: since it became Triple Action, the Vis @ 100 changed.
Exactly right! The PDS has changed, dramatically, from a year ago when I ran the AFE. Old AFE was 8.8, now, 8.1. I ascribe the, thicker, PUP "feel" to the -48 pour point vs. the, thinner, -51 of the old spec AFE. Dunno if the new AFE PDS is correct, now, showing a thicker -42 pour point for the AFE. My Camry "likes" the PUP. YMMV

Thank you guys from the replies about my question on Pennzoil Oil's "Made from Natural Gas". After further research online and through Pennzoil's website, their patented GTL (Gas-To-Liquid) technology, I am truly convinced that this oil is a great product. ....What a sigh of relief..... Next time, I'll purchase (which is on sale) any top tier oil brands including one of my favorites, Pennzoil.

Sorry Pennzoil, I got of bound when I read that phrase on the bottle............... oh yes the funny part "which scared the heck out me".:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
https://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/education/natural-gas-to-motor-oil.html

Last edited:
Reactions: FZ1
Back