OW-40 for 05 (4cyl) Accord - Europe says Yes /US Says 5W-20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys,
in Canada honda recommends 5w20 for 2001 and newer accords,
i to am not to thrilled with the thought of 20 weight oils myself,but it does work exellent in winter, but beware of to thick oils that may do more harm to your engine than good.
since todays engines are manufactured to much tighter tolerances,this is also a factor why 20 weight oils are specified.
here is what i do ,and my engine purrs
winter 2 litres castrol 5w20 syntec +
2 litres castrol 5w20 gtx (dino)
summer 2 litres castrol 5w20 syntec +
2 litres castrol 5w30 gtx (dino)
i do not know if going with 2 litres of 5w30 gives that much better protection,but i feel better ,since 5w30 is turbo approved,it must have that little bit of extra protection

That may be true, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It's not like CAFE said, "you must use thinner oils than engines need, in order to save fuel." CAFE encourages good fuel efficiency, and it was the automakers and oil blenders who, looking for an advantage, developed engines that can run reliably on thin oil, and thin oils that can protect very well.

So even if CAFE was the general catalyst behind the development of thinner-weight oils, it's not as though anything has been lost. We still have all the oil choices we always have had, but also thinner, more efficient xW-20 blends; and we have plenty of data that tells us those oils protect really quite superbly in the engines that are designed for them - AND EVEN IN SOME THAT WERE NOT! I don't see a downside here at all!

As for this particular engine, 5W-20 is certainly fine, but a slightly heavier oil would do little or no harm. Seems the consensus is xW-40 would be a bad idea though.

- Glenn

So 5W-30 Mobil1 Synthetic with Mobil1 Filter all year round?

Also, I am thinking of using Mobil1 Extended Protection (15,000 miles oil) and change it every 7,000 miles with Mobil1 Oil Filter?

How does this sound to you guys?

Thx

But doesn't the Mobil1 Extended Protection gives even more additives and protects the engine better?

I can get it for the same price as Mobil1 Synthetic so that is why I ask.

Also, I know that Mobil1 Filters can last 8,000 miles+ without loosing filtering ability, but I think Honda OEM filters suck after 5,000 miles.

Comments?
Thx

I'd go with a thinner oil in the winter. The cold NJ air will keep the oil cool and thick. Theres no need for that 40wt.

I'd stick with the 5w30 or 0w30 year round if you're 20wt paranoid.

If you must, save the 40wt for the summer.

And, if you're doing all highway driving, then drive further between OCI's.

Honda is reccomending changing the filter every OTHER oil change. That can be as little as 10k miles or as much as 20k, depending on your driving.

I'm sorry, I can't do that. I'm gonna run M1 5W30 in our '05 EX-L 4cyl for 7,500 OCI's and a PureONE, Wix or M1 filter.

I'm really debating on going back to Dino Havoline and doing 4,000 mile OCI due to the amount of short trips this car sees. It sees some highway use, some 5-mile one-way trips and some 2-1/2 mile one-way trips.

After 4,000 miles on it's first dose of M1, the oil looks fairly clean. It's not pitch black yet, kinda dark brown.

I personally wouldn't push my luck with the 15k mile OCI on the M1 EP. I know Mobil is guaranteeing the performance. But I gotta play the "what if" factor. What if Exxon-Mobil is bought by some other company 24 months from now? What if it's a Chinese company and they say "too bad" that your engine failed at 123,000 miles and you've got every reciept for M1 EP?

If Exxon-Mobil gets bought out by the Chinese, we (USA) have bigger problems than an Accord's engine wearing out early.

If it were my car, I'd run an M1 in the flavor that your car seems to respond well to. Actually, I'd run AMSOIL 0/5W-30 but that's a side issue. Any of these weights will protect your engine (M1 or M1 EP), as I see it's a matter of style and butt dyno from here.

I'm running a 0W-30 and it's fine.

quote:

The gentleman's talking about using a 0-40. Not only is it suitable for winter, it is actually better in extreme cold than 5-30, 10-30 AND a 5-20.

Well I guess you'd have to define EXTREAME cold because even M1 10W30 is thinner at startup than the 0W40 until you get below zero and you'd have to get to like 30 below zero before the 0W40 became thiner than the 5W30. 0W40 never gets thiner than the 5W20 in real applications.

It may be suitable for winter but I'd maintain the M1 0W30 or even the 5W30 or 5W20 would be BETTER suited for the Accord in winter.

Accord2005NJ - You can feel secure running any of the good 5W20 or 5W30 oils. Our friend 427Z06 has done very well in the hotter climate in Texas running 5W30, I believe he's an M1 user. I live not far from you and have been running Pennzoil 5W20 dino +LC/132 year-round for several years. 6-8,000 mile intervals, getting excellent UOAs. I also use the Honda PCX004 filter. You really don't need the 10W-30 in the summer up here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back