Ordered some new rubber for the M5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tires are ON!

I apologize in advance for the car being absolutely filthy. I was out in the country with it yesterday at slammds15's new house build.

PSS03.jpg

PSS04.jpg

Looking GOOD!

I'll bet they hook up. I'm VERY interested in how they handle first and second gear under warm dry conditions. THEN I would appreciate a wet performance critique!

Thanks in advance...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Looking GOOD!

I'll bet they hook up. I'm VERY interested in how they handle first and second gear under warm dry conditions. THEN I would appreciate a wet performance critique!

Thanks in advance...

I can give you a damp performance critique right now. I was just out to pick up dog food and it was lightly raining. Nailed 2nd gear from first and it hooked SOLID. The car has NEVER hooked into 2nd, it freaked me out! Let alone the fact that the road wasn't dry
crazy2.gif
!!!!

They are also SMOOOOOOOOOTH, and absolutely silent. You can tell they are soft compound.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
I'll bet the impact harshness is also good. Quiet, smooth, and relatively long lasting... sounds too good to be true!

So after a bit more spirited driving today, I can say that these things are incredible. It is actually reasonably hard to induce tire spin with them and when you do, it is only a tiny bit and then they bite HARD.

And yes, impact harshness handling is excellent.

Colour me impressed!

Oh, and I ended up paying less than I originally stated. Instead of $1380, they were $1242 for the set, which is only $29.00/tire more than tire rack, and this was installed and roadforce balanced. I'm quite happy with the service I got from my Chrysler dealer
smile.gif

You are just reinforcing my decision. I had decided to try them but seeing how they perform an a similar higher performance sedan I am sold.

Gawd, they are expensive, but every time I buy a cheaper tire I regret it later. Those Michelins are going to be a tremendous upgrade from my cheapo Hankook Ventus V12's.

Last edited:
I know my R car is down about 100hp on the M5, but I have been completely blown away by these tires. They are every bit as good as the PS2's they replaced. They are well worth the money for anyone that wants a performance tire.

As I've said before, my Mazdaspeed 3 work beater is not terribly fast, but I also find the wet grip of the PSS to be absolutely fantastic. I may even drag the sled to an HPDE- even though I'll risk getting a case of carpal tunnel from giving point-bys to all the other instructors...

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Could these be the absolute BEST/stickiest 300 treadwear ultra/max performance tires in existence??
21.gif

Wouldn't surprise me if that's the case. I've yet to hear a bad review of them.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Could these be the absolute BEST/stickiest 300 treadwear ultra/max performance tires in existence??
21.gif

Quite possibly yes.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Wouldn't surprise me if that's the case. I've yet to hear a bad review of them.

Yes- you rarely find a product that gets top marks from both the Consumer Reports nerds and the Car and Driver hotshoes.

These tires look great and seem if they will have great peformance. However i still shuudder at the cost. I have thought about getting a 2003 BMW e39 540i sport. However, the cost of the 18" staggered tire setup may stop me. I may go to the 2003 530i sport instead with 17" non staggered tires if I buy an e39.

Originally Posted By: Russell
I may go to the 2003 530i sport instead with 17" non staggered tires if I buy an e39.

That's what I have on mine... 235/45/17 is a popular size in which you can find plenty of decently priced tires.

Just an update on these as I've put some decent mileage on them and experimented with finding their limits a bit.

Lateral traction is absolutely incredible. Best I've ever experienced. Straight-line traction is very comparable to something like a Mickey Thompson ET Street Drag Radial, which continues to surprise me, because unlike the ET Street, it retains that incredible traction in the wet, which I've never had a tire do before.

Ride quality is incredible. They are smooth and silent. They offer more damping than Toyo's and my winter Bridgestone's, while not being "mushy".

I'll post up some pics of them on the car in a bit.

How are they wearing? In my experience with staggered wheels which you can't rotate they last 10k-15k miles, unless you really beat on them.

Its hard to keep rear tires on high HP German cars...especially the AMG cars as of late...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
How are they wearing? In my experience with staggered wheels which you can't rotate they last 10k-15k miles, unless you really beat on them.

Its hard to keep rear tires on high HP German cars...especially the AMG cars as of late...

Too early to tell. I expect them to at last at least the summer, LOL!
wink.gif

I've been really enjoying my PSSs on my plain-jane 325Ci auto. The first time I did a hard brake I thought I felt my organs push against my chest!

The performance is second to none, they're quiet, and the price wasn't bad.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Just an update on these as I've put some decent mileage on them and experimented with finding their limits a bit.

Lateral traction is absolutely incredible. Best I've ever experienced. Straight-line traction is very comparable to something like a Mickey Thompson ET Street Drag Radial, which continues to surprise me, because unlike the ET Street, it retains that incredible traction in the wet, which I've never had a tire do before.

Ride quality is incredible. They are smooth and silent. They offer more damping than Toyo's and my winter Bridgestone's, while not being "mushy".

I'll post up some pics of them on the car in a bit.

Awesome. Even with 275 series rear tires and 4000+ pounds of meat I have significant traction issues in first and second gear, and it is always disconcerting to have a loss of traction on the 2-3 shift!

I'm sold. Thanks for all the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back