On being a Bachelor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like many of you are a bachelor. 42, never married, no kids. Sure I've been in many relationships but never walked down the aisle. Now understand I don't have anything against marriage or its institutions. I simply have not felt that type of desire to take those steps or embark on that kind of life. I get scorned by some for it. Sexuality questioned for it. Envied by friends and coworkers for it as well.
I find that the freedom I enjoy is rather liberating and having a disciplined, yet unrestricted lifestyle is tremendous to my own personal happiness.
I've had several long term relationships that ran their course. And moved on. No hard feelings. I still am in touch with several of them.

But I found something out in my mid to late 30's..........those women that wouldn't give me the time of day in my early to mid 20's are now desiring my company more then ever. I guess those early years of them getting all dolled up and going out to the clubs and bars in their search to nab that "hot" guy didn't go quite as planned. Many landed what they thought were the studs of their day, only to be seriously let down upon realizing that he couldn't hold a job or the eye of another was caught by him. As the years have passed they all separated, got divorced or ran out on. Maybe its a Gen-X thing. I don't know.
Now on another note, there are also many that are still in happy and successful marriages. My life long friend is one of them.
I've also found out that this crazy thing called Facebook had brought out the "frisky" and "flirty" behavior of many in my age group. Upon joining FB in its early years I found that many women I went to college with and High School with would chat me up more than usual once they found out about my marital status. Or what my "baggage" status was. Mind you, about half of these women were/are married as well.
Those same women that wouldn't give me the time of day were now asking me to lunch, coffee, dinner, etc... Needless to say it was quite a surprise. But I realized that the tables had turned. Many of lifes hard realities had hit them hard and brought them down a few notches. You may ask yourself if I had taken advantage of this new found asset. The answer is yes, and no.
I love the company of women but I have to draw the line on some things. Single, divorced, separated women are a go. Married and living with their spouse is a no. Regardless of how miserable they are. But believe me, I have been very tempted.
But back to being a bachelor. Its not always easy. There are lonely moments, some regrets and holidays are a b!tch some years. But at this point in life I still have not had that desire to settle down. Someday I may regret it, but better to be alone and happy than with someone and miserable.
Discuss....................

My best friend's brother just got married for the 1st time at age 55. He was in a LTR of about 10 years though. My own brother waited until he was 39 to tie the knot and he's been happily married for about 20 years now. He has 2 teenage girls so his [censored] is just beginning. Times are different now, being single is more accepted - no big deal. The freedom of not being in a relationship is pretty sweet though.

Originally Posted By: Recalculating
Your dissertation explains your screen name quite well. Good job on being a bachelor. It's not for everyone.

Funny, but thats not the reason for the screen name. But now that you mention it.........

Yes, I give you credit for resisting all of the societal pressures to do what is "normal", or expected.

The one that REALLY makes me laugh out loud, and shake my head in disgust, is the "you're just being selfish because you do not want offspring" line.
lol.gif

As if those who just want kids to live vicariously through them, or to satisfy their overblown egos by having little versions of themselves running around are not being selfish??

Yeah the selfish one gets me too. I am actually an extremely generous person to everyone I know. I do find that some will attempt to back me in a corner really hard about the whole marriage and commit thing. Only to witness just how miserable they are in their own circumstance. My happily married friends accept it and are fine with it. My miserably married friends want me to join their ranks.
Like I said before, marriage is a great thing when its truly meant to be.

They don't make women like they used to.. Seems like they all have issues, controlling, self absorbed or insecure..

Well said. I would never judge anyone if they were happy about their status. Every status has its ups and downs. I find it frustrating when my single friends make comments like, well ur practically married anyways..as if they are somehow better off...lolz. If you are happy thats whats important.

I am following the bachelor lifestyle as well. I found a girl many years ago that I would have married but it all fell apart and that was really the only time I felt I could/wanted to actually get married. I have had a couple of long term relationships since then but I havent thought marriage in either of them. I am very independent and have a circle of friends that I hang out with and cant really say I would change a thing right now.

I'm a hybrid. 38 and divorced for 5 wonderful years with no desire to ever be married again. Long term relationship? Sure, but at the end of the day, i'm going home. I'm not alone. I have two boys who spend most of their time with me, but they're getting older. I can't say how i'll feel when they're grown and on their own, but i know i've taken quite a liking to not having a woman up my arse all the time, so i'll probably get a dog.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: andrewp1998
They don't make women like they used to.. Seems like they all have issues, controlling, self absorbed or insecure..

^^ this!

I feel exactly the same as the OP. I'm almost your age, never married, and I feel I'm at the peak of my game now. I don't even bother dating women over 35 yrs old; there's no challenge plus I'm not attracted to them. They are desperate. I mostly date women in their 20s, and occasionally in their early 30's if I find one exceptionally attractive.

Women peak in their mid 20s. Men peak in their mid 30s to mid 40s provided they put effort into their appearance.

I love the bachelor lifestyle; it's never dull. The best phase of dating is always the first few months of a relationship. You're getting to know each other, and each time you talk on the phone or meet up it's exciting. Imagine repeating this over and over for many years. That's what the life is like.

To any guy who's successful, fit, decent-looking and has his A-game on: stay single and play the field.

To be clear, my definition of bachelor lifestyle is being in serial, uncommitted relationships. To me, if you're unmarried/divorced but in a serious LTR, then you're not leading a bachelor lifestyle. You're unofficially married, just not on paper

Originally Posted By: xfactor9
To be clear, my definition of bachelor lifestyle is being in serial, uncommitted relationships. To me, if you're unmarried/divorced but in a serious LTR, then you're not leading a bachelor lifestyle. You're unofficially married, just not on paper

I much prefer having a few like minded friends who are ok with hanging out (aka hooking up) now and then. But it takes time to develop those types of friends. New relationship every couple months? No thanks. Long term or not, thats still a pain in the arse.

A good buddy of mine is still single in late 30s, and he is fine with it. Less hassle, less stress he says.....

Relationships tend to be interesting things anyways, as my wife and I were friend long before we dated, and at times, you'd almost not notice that we were married if not for the hand holding and kissing...
smile.gif

But regardless whether our friends and married or single, we treat them the same....then again, we might be a crazy bunch anyways...

I've no desire to keep a woman happy.

Sure I like to make them happy, love to make a pretty one smile, have one entwine herself into my arms....

But to keep one happy. No way. That smile can change to dagger eyes when she doesn't get what she wants. She can justify any of her behavior, no matter how reprehensible, turn it around and make it the man's fault and fully believe her twisted logic.

Apparently, anything that ever happened at any point in history that was detrimental to woman, is the fault of all living men today, and we must all be punished.

This is apparently the goal of feminism, not empowering women through their own accomplishments when dealt equal opportunities, but simply the degradation of men at any and all opportunities with a 'You go Sister' pat on the back. Since we are all just pigs being led around with our little heads anyway.

In retrospect, I hate the person I had became when I developed strong feelings for a woman. Led around by the nose yes honey, no honey, what ever you want just don't freaking go off on some emotional irrational and partially Psychotic rant cause it is your prerogative.

Wait, too late.... emotional tornado spinning up ready to take out the whole state in the quest for accumulation and display of shiny baubles, and/or shoes. Lots and lots of shoes. Only Shoes or the promise of shoes can quell the storm. You better deliver!

It's like emerging from a cocoon when the spell is broken. A new life begins. Hopefully you can change the locks in time before she gets together with her evil girlfriends and plans your physical emasculation since her plans to complete the figurative task and have a lifelong servant have fallen through. How dare you waste her time?

I am however open to foreign women, but the majority of ones raised in Western culture within the last 4 decades are just overwhelmingly greedy and evil, and are eager pupils on how to become more so, with no shortage of sources to promote the female agenda.

I have married friends who are 5 years younger than me. They look 5 years older. I don't really hang around them anymore. It is so depressing seeing them just resigned to being a servant. But mostly the wives don't want them around me less my freedom to do what I want snaps them out of their ball-less stupor.

If you are still young have found a good young woman, perhaps you should snap her up, cause the leftovers are not worth the shoes left in their closets, and somehow it is your fault, you just don't know it yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back