Ok, everyone - IYO, what' the best 5w-30 oil, &why

Status
Not open for further replies.
Price not being a factor, within reason of course...

What is the best brand of oil in a 5w30 for a truck, and why specifically? (not "I've gotten 300k using it", I mean specifics as to what makes it the best oil)

I would suspect there are a million different opinions out there on this, but I'm hoping to derive factual info from the question

Redline 5w-30 is one of the "Best" synthetic offerings because it is a POE ( Polyol Ester ) base product with a very aggresive additive package. The POE is capable of very high temps without degredation and it is also capable of extended drains. Redline has loads of ZDDP to ward off wear in high load applications such as racing or simply towing a boat.

Of course all of this comes at a premium price. It usually sells for about $9 per quart or more. It may be overkill for a truck, but just depends on what you are looking to accomplish. This is not an oil you can compare to OTC oils at wally world. Racing teams are not using OTC PP in there one off race engines on sunday. Many of them are using Redline and special blends of Mobil 1 regardless of what is on the hood.

And of course you will get the oil snobs who will say "there is no best oil". I believe there are several that can be placed in this category but for the reasons I have given above, Redline is the only clear winner. Its really in a class by itself. Period. The only other oil that really can be placed in its midst is Motul 300V. It is also a great ester based oil that is used mostly in raing applications. There is a member here that has used it with exceptional results. Its EXPENSIVE as [censored]!
lol.gif

Last edited:
29 views and only 1 reply so far....assumption: everyone has a favorite oil, and few know why! lol...(myself included, that's why i'm posing the question)

Originally Posted By: gmchevroletruck
29 views and only 1 reply so far....assumption: everyone has a favorite oil, and few know why! lol...(myself included, that's why i'm posing the question)

Actually that's a compliment to the BITOG guys. Maybe they are learning finally!!

Your trick word is actually "best". Best for what????????

there have been a thousand "which oil is best" threads. Just search for them and you'll get the deal.

+1

But to give an answer, right now Im liking M1 5w-30 ESP M oil, as it is a 5w-30 grade with an ACEA A3 rating, and specced to a pretty stringent set of requirements.

Depends on the application IMO, no "one best" oil for any application.

Now if you want to know what oils seem to cover a lot of 5w30 required applications extremely well, that is a different question.

Last edited:
I like Hucks re-re-re- refined 39cents a qt.oil.
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
"Best" is meaningless.

You are correct. There is no best, but several that are equal. Ams, M1 PP etc. Since your engine is nothing special as far as a problem engine all of these will work well.

I think chevron supreme is the best 5w30 dino because its cheap, easily availible, has a 7.8 TBN, good dispersant and detergent pack, good base oil with the isosyn, has a good amount of moly and has a viscosity that sits it right between a 5w20 and a 5w30 so for all those guys that like to fight about 20 vs 30 or for the ones that mix 20 and 30 here is the middle of the road for you. I like to think of it as the chicken and steak fajitas for the guys who cant decided between the two at the mexican restaurante.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AzFireGuy79
Redline 5w-30 is one of the "Best" synthetic offerings because it is a POE ( Polyol Ester ) base product with a very aggresive additive package. The POE is capable of very high temps without degredation and it is also capable of extended drains. Redline has loads of ZDDP to ward off wear in high load applications such as racing or simply towing a boat.

Of course all of this comes at a premium price. It usually sells for about $9 per quart or more. It may be overkill for a truck, but just depends on what you are looking to accomplish. This is not an oil you can compare to OTC oils at wally world. Racing teams are not using OTC PP in there one off race engines on sunday. Many of them are using Redline and special blends of Mobil 1 regardless of what is on the hood.

And of course you will get the oil snobs who will say "there is no best oil". I believe there are several that can be placed in this category but for the reasons I have given above, Redline is the only clear winner. Its really in a class by itself. Period. The only other oil that really can be placed in its midst is Motul 300V. It is also a great ester based oil that is used mostly in raing applications. There is a member here that has used it with exceptional results. Its EXPENSIVE as [censored]!
lol.gif

Agreed.

Originally Posted By: ryland
I think chevron supreme is the best 5w30 dino because its cheap, easily availible, has a 7.8 TBN, good dispersant and detergent pack, good base oil with the isosyn, has a good amount of moly and has a viscosity that sits it right between a 5w20 and a 5w30 so for all those guys that like to fight about 20 vs 30 or for the ones that mix 20 and 30 here is the middle of the road for you. I like to think of it as the chicken and steak fajitas for the guys who cant decided between the two at the mexican restaurante.

+1
thumbsup2.gif

Like everyone (more or less) said, you need to qualify the question.

(suggested things that may alter the answer)

Suppose the engine consumes 3 quarts every 10 minutes?

Suppose it only travels 5000 miles a year in a 4 season climate?

Suppose it goes 25k/year and consumes nothing?

Suppose it only travels up one side of a 8% grade fully loaded and engine brakes down the other side ..only to repeat the same process on the return trip day after day?

Red Line may suit some of those conditions that I mentioned above, but I doubt anyone would use it for many of them. Synthetics would probably be pushed out of a few of them.

You've given us no way to determine value in usage ..which equates to "most sensible" ..which tends to mean "best for your situation".

The best 5W30 is FAR 20 quarts Peak oil I got some months ago from Pepboys, nothing beat an SM oil for zero dollars. It's in '94 Lexus LS400, the engine is as smooth as any expensive oil (cost $0.49/qt or more) it had before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back