What kind of oil for 2010 mercedes glk 350 do you guys use?

Whats up people, so the owners manual doesn't reccommend a specific oil but rather refers to the temperature/oil grade chart. After searching the internet, I see videos of people using 5w30 and certain forums said similar. My understanding is that either 0 or 5w - 30-40 is acceptable but which is BEST. Right now on the east coast it's winter so I think it was a good choice, would that be the case in summertime traffic? What do you guys pour into that engine

What’s the required approval? Grade is irrelevant with a Mercedes-Benz approval, except perhaps for the winter rating (and then only below about -30 or so). If you’re above that temperature then either a 5W or a 0W rating is acceptable.

Even 229.3 in 10W40 is fine in your M272 (atleast during summer)

Skärmklipp.PNG

Last edited:
Whats up people, so the owners manual doesn't reccommend a specific oil but rather refers to the temperature/oil grade chart. After searching the internet, I see videos of people using 5w30 and certain forums said similar. My understanding is that either 0 or 5w - 30-40 is acceptable but which is BEST. Right now on the east coast it's winter so I think it was a good choice, would that be the case in summertime traffic? What do you guys pour into that engine
Anything with 229.50.

M1 0w40
Pennzoil Euro 5w40
Castrol 0w40.

All of them are for year around use.

"The Best" is overly broad. In any case you'll be fine buying any of the three above.

Any mb 229.5 rated oil off the wally shelf or ordered online with free shipping will be fine for east coast winters.

Last edited:
I have been using Ravenol 5W-40 (VST), but will likely switch to Mobil1 0w-40 since Ravenol prices went through the roof.
I would prefer to stay with a 5W-40 since I live in FL, but it really won't matter much. I can't find Mobil1 in 5W-40 Euro at WM so whatever is available with the 229.5 cert.
Saw Castrol Euro Magnatec(?) in 5W-40 w/229.5, so I might try that, but M1 has never let me down.

I will brace myself for the wrath of the forum because I am not going to recommend Mobil 1 0W-40. I'd go with Quaker State 5W-40, Pennzoil 0W-40 or Castrol 0W-40. My engine (same as your M272) is the loudest with the Mobil and also burns it the most.

Blurghh.. some of you are very passionate 😂
Ok so general consensus is 0w40. Next change. I dont believe in brand crap, as long as it meets the modern oil specs of API and such, an internal combustion engine works the same doesn't matter which nation makes it.

Now, What about the 5w30 I have in there now, will that have negative affects for one oil change interval? I just never touched a MB before this

Now, What about the 5w30 I have in there now, will that have negative affects for one oil change interval? I just never touched a MB before this

We know nothing about it, but unless its A3/B4 or C3 (euro spec) oil its probably has lower HTHS then what MB wants you to run.

Last edited:
Ok so general consensus is 0w40. Next change. I dont believe in brand crap, as long as it meets the modern oil specs of API and such, an internal combustion engine works the same doesn't matter which nation makes it.

API license is irrelevant here. Again, what is the required Mercede-Benz approval?

You’re focusing on the unimportant.

It depends on what that 5W-30 inside is. Mercedes says that anything with 229.5 approval, and a link to all motor oils carrying said approval was provided to you, is fine to use with the provided OCI.

API spec? Who said anything about API?

Your owners manual said MB 229.5, right? That is what Mercedes specified. Whether or not the American Petroleum Institute approved the oil is irrelevant.

Go to this list of Mercedes approved oils.

Pick one.

If the 5W30 you have in the car is not on that list, change it soon to an oil that is on the list.

Alright gentlemen, this has been a fun rabbit hole from which I emerge more knowledgeable than ever. Euro spec oil is separated from regular stuff like my pennzoil because of the additive pack which allows it to be run up to 10k that the car makers insist is ok, its all EPA and carbon footprint reduction bs of european laws. If this glk was mine, id keep the pennzoil synthetic, its a fine oil and would just change at 4-5k as any other car. 10k oci is a bad practice, doesn't matter if you use gods piss in that crankcase because you still have carbon contamination.

Alright gentlemen, this has been a fun rabbit hole from which I emerge more knowledgeable than ever. Euro spec oil is separated from regular stuff like my pennzoil because of the additive pack which allows it to be run up to 10k that the car makers insist is ok, its all EPA and carbon footprint reduction bs of european laws. If this glk was mine, id keep the pennzoil synthetic, its a fine oil and would just change at 4-5k as any other car. 10k oci is a bad practice, doesn't matter if you use gods piss in that crankcase because you still have carbon contamination.

You imply that you own the vehicle with your opening post and then claim you do not own the vehicle followed up with regulatory mumbo-jumbo. Me thinks you've done at best an average job trolling the board.

Back