oil thickener?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guy quick question i have a large stock pf pennzoil platinum, royal purple, and pennzoil high mileage all in 5 and 10w30. all my cars are over 200k and are burning oil pretty

bad. i tried maxlife 10w40 and it worked well. problem is im stuck with a ton of oil. is there any way to thicken these oils to a 40wt? thanks.

laugh.gif

Screen Shot 2018-10-31 at 8.30.08 PM.png

STP.jpg

Originally Posted by macdole99
would any brand 20w50 be good?
all my cars hold 6 qts

Yeah as long as it's normal type oil from Castrol, Pennzoil, Valvoline, Mobil etc. it will be fine. 3 Quarts will make it like a 15w40wt if you use a 10w30 with it.

This is better than using a thickener like STP or Lucas because it won't dilute the additives in the oil.

Last edited:
I have been mixing 10W-30 and 20W-50 (equal mix) in my BMW bike for years? After 5000 miles it tests to 40wt specs.

Last edited:
Blending 50/50 would be great, except you have "a ton of oil". With that in mind, I would not buy anymore.

Use STP, Bardhal No Smoke, or Rislone Ring Seal repair. I would choose the cheapest of the three and avoid the Lucas.

I've got a jug of this in my garage, to use as an additive.

Viscometrically, it's a monograde. 25W70, so not PPD or VII to upset the apple carts. SonofJoe indicated that it was probably laden with considerable percentage of Bright stock. High in Zn, and Mo, so it carried it's own additives into battle...TBN around 7, so not much of anything else

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by StevieC

This is better than using a thickener like STP or Lucas because it won't dilute the additives in the oil.

The dilution would be negligible. One pint of additive mixed in with 5 or 6 quarts would be 10% or less.

I don't think he needs any more oil on hand.

Yeah but he wants to thicken the 30wt to a 40wt so multiple bottles might be needed in which case he will end up with diluted additives or over-filling the crank case.

Originally Posted by BigShug681
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
laugh.gif

This lol just be careful you over do it and it'll be like gear lube

You know 75w85 gear fluids are about as thick as 5w30 cSt? I think he will want to be thicker then gear fluid.

Lucas oil thickner has a cSt over 100, it wont take that much. But I'd still just shorten up my oci to 3k miles and use it up as is, or add some 20w50.

Originally Posted by StevieC
Yeah but he wants to thicken the 30wt to a 40wt so multiple bottles might be needed in which case he will end up with diluted additives or over-filling the crank case.

Bardhal No Smoke for example is crazy thick. I don't know for sure but I bet one single dose would raise his viscosity to the next level. But even if he did use 2, thats just one quart of volume, so no dilution issue.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by userfriendly
Same as Shannow, except with SAE40. A 5 gallon pail is cheap at Walmart.

Are you guys missing what he said?

He said "he had a ton of oil" he is trying to use up, and you want him to buy more??

The OP is from Alabama where a multi grade is not needed. When I read STP, Bardhal, Lucas etc. I think "Run Forrest run". What are those products, and how will they affect the engine oil?
The result of adding a mono-grade to a multi-grade engine oil is somewhat predictable. Mixing in a scoop of VII, a scoop of bright stock and a scoop of who knows what additives is like a box of chocolates.
You never know what you're gonna get.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back