Oil suggestions for 2021 1.5T GM Ecotech

I am sure the oil used won't be why the car is traded off in the future.

Wasn't a mistake.... I'd take a D3 over D2 oil. I am not for minimums... if something is improved, go for the improvement.

And, not sure why this forum names my links whatever it wants. I don't name them.

Wasn't a mistake.... I'd take a D3 over D2 oil. I am not for minimums... if something is improved, go for the improvement.

And, not sure why this forum names my links whatever it wants. I don't name them.
I'm okay with that.
It appears many of the majors are not on the new Gen 3 list yet, or it hasn't been updated recently? Pennzoil and Valvoline are there. Thought Quaker State was D1G3 as well, but I only see Gen II on their website slick sheet; perhaps SOPUS hasn't got around to them yet. Interesting.

Last edited:
My BIL just picked up a 20121 Chevy Equinox with the 1.5 T engine (6 speed auto), 27,000 miles on the ODO. ..... Oil looked pretty good, but not new, considering that the OLM said 95% left.

I think I have him convinced to change it and was wondering about which oil you all would suggest he use.
The oil cap says 0W-20, but we all know that that's just for CAFE rating. ...

Thanks, JG

According to J.D. Power, the 2021 Chevy Equinox has a predicted reliability score of 87 out of 100. That's a high enough reliability rating to make this new Chevy model the Highest Ranked Compact SUV in Initial and Long-Term Quality. If you're looking for an SUV that you can depend on, this is obviously it **

I would wait for 5k miles then go for it. Filter and all. These engines sound good to me - at least on YT, it still Pulls strong from 5ooo-55oo rpm where the old 1.4 would be out of breath. Also good gearing, short 1st gear.
I have been trying to get the wife to look at one - as they are available and even discounted during the "car shortage"

She is quite the "bohemian" and tells me she would never drive a Ford or a Chevy ! ? ! :)

YT 2019 Equinox acceleration video:

Last edited:
Thanks ARCO, yeah, it seems like a very solid vehicle. The ride is a bit stiff and not my preference, but I suppose SUV people like that. It's surprisingly roomy inside too, for a mid sized SUV.

Thanks ARCO, yeah, it seems like a very solid vehicle. The ride is a bit stiff and not my preference, but I suppose SUV people like that. It's surprisingly roomy inside too, for a mid sized SUV.
Many people forget about this car; Six speed automatic too - not CVT. A lot of employees where I used to work have them and they have good luck with them.

Have the BIL check the tires. just a couple pounds too high can lead to a hard/crashing ride. Maybe it has a DIC readout of the pressures. My 2020 Ford does.

Last edited:
That was the one area that I pointed out to him. Looks like original tires, so he's going to need some prob next year. I'll have him double check the pressures, but they all seem to be wearing correctly.

Many people forget about this car; Six speed automatic too - not CVT. A lot of employees where I used to work have them and they have good luck with them.

Have the BIL check the tires. just a couple pounds too high can lead to a hard/crashing ride. Maybe it has a DIC readout of the pressures. My 2020 Ford does.
I still have a 2013 AWD Nox with its oil-burning 2.4L. Still driving it with 165,000 miles.

It's been a relatively reliable vehicle... though nowhere near as reliable as the 1993 AWD Bravada I had with its "W" code 4.3L V-6. That Bravada was indestructable -- da bomb.

I maintain my Dad's 2020 Equinox with the 1.5t. I use 5w20 Castrol EP because that's what I have. The car runs fine. I recommend the PF64 ACDelco filter, its pretty good. OLM hits 10% or so after 6-7k. Not a fan of the vehicle because of the numb handling, but people that buy these cars that's what they want. The car shifts much better than his previous Buick Encore- that thing drove around like the tranny was broken. Oil changes are super easy, I don't even jack up the car.

I have a 2020 Equinox with 1.5T and have done 2 uoa one at 5600 and the other at 6100. Both came back with 2+ and 4+ TBN. Both showed no fuel dilution and both ran over the winter. I got the OLM down to 24 & 18 respectively, my next will be at below 10%. The car now has 22000 miles, great car. All I read about here is the Honda 1.5T’s, those engines piss fuel into the crankcase, terrible. That’s why I did UOA, to see if there was any fuel dilution.

I have a 2020 Equinox with 1.5T and have done 2 uoa one at 5600 and the other at 6100. Both came back with 2+ and 4+ TBN. Both showed no fuel dilution and both ran over the winter. I got the OLM down to 24 & 18 respectively, my next will be at below 10%. The car now has 22000 miles, great car. All I read about here is the Honda 1.5T’s, those engines piss fuel into the crankcase, terrible. That’s why I did UOA, to see if there was any fuel dilution.
What analysis lab did you use for the UOA?

FWIW, from a Ford master tech from N IL.

Most all mechanics know little about oil. And per the posted video title, I would say that a 5000K oci is not optimal. But if you made to 5M miles without changing the oil - that is pretty remarkable!

ARCOgraphite - former NIASE Master a half a century ago in the previous kiloannum.

Back