Oil recommendation retro fit hydraulic roller 400 SBC 500+hp

Did we ever get a test on this filter?

The merc racing filter is basically an EAO.
Nope, we don't have any test data for it, the new Ultra or the EaO unfortunately. Just the advertised specs.

Forgive me if I asked this already, but do we have any efficiency data for the Merc Racing filter?

Nope, we don't have any test data for it, the new Ultra or the EaO unfortunately. Just the advertised specs.

Forgive me if I asked this already, but do we have any efficiency data for the Merc Racing filter?
I didnt see one.

I'll try to find my C&P - It was like a royal purple/ EAO so my guess would be it basically what they are.

The stock merc BBC filter is a joke - I compared these two a few years ago for the boat guys, I'll see if i can dig it up.

IMG_6475.jpg
IMG_6515.jpg
IMG_6516.jpg
IMG_6514.jpg
IMG_6484.jpg
IMG_6508.jpg
IMG_6506.jpg
IMG_6494.jpg

Yeah, I've seen it and know what it is. But on a filter that is surely premium cost, it would be nice to see premium construction throughout.
This filter certainly isnt the best I've seen.

At the time I notes this efficiency test Merc referred to HS806 was not the standard I was used to seeing.

Yes, and spec’d it when Steve Tanzi was still HMIC… probably 2005-2007 timeframe? These are Hans Hermann-designed profiles, not sure who he is but I know Steve was very hot on their capabilities.
Hans was a well known lobe designer. In the 80s Super Shops owned Erson (& Mallory) located at the Carson City location, hired Tanzi to make or break the Erson brand. The lobe selection at the time was dismal, so Hans was paid to design about 400 new Berco masters.
Due to the fact Erson & Mallory pulled a trailer to all the national NHRA events to service magnetos, Erson cams ended up in many of the cars that were running Mallory mags. Fuel cams wear quickly, on the exhaust side especially, opening the valve against high pressure from the late burning fuel, so cam and magneto service went hand in hand. Records were set over and over with the .375s lobes, not because they were agressive, but because they were stable and didn't beat up the valvetrain, with instant "idle to full rpm" of blown fuel engines off the line. The big cam cores
"grew" the lobe durations a couple of degrees so a 296 @ 50 intake lobe would measure out to 298-300ish. The exhaust duration on fuel cams were usually 4-6 degrees less on 111-114 LCAs.
Fast foward 10 years, in 2004 #2 guy at Erson, John Steele went to Oshkosh, WI to make or break Howard's Cams. A year or two later Erson was a dumpster fire.

Last edited:
Hans was a well known lobe designer. In the 80s Super Shops owned Erson (& Mallory) located at the Carson City location, hired Tanzi to make or break the Erson brand. The lobe selection at the time was dismal, so Hans was paid to design about 400 new Berco masters.
Due to the fact Erson & Mallory pulled a trailer to all the national NHRA events to service magnetos, Erson cams ended up in many of the cars that were running Mallory mags. Fuel cams wear quickly on the exhaust side especially opening the valve against high pressure from the late burning fuel, so cam and magneto service went hand in hand. Records were set over and over with the .375s lobes, not because they were agressive, but because they were stable and didn't beat up the valvetrain with the instant idle to full rpm of blown fuel engines off the line. The big cam cores
"grew" the lobe durations a couple of degrees so a 296 @ 50 intake lobe would measure out to 298-300ish. The exhaust duration on fuel cams were usually 4-6 degrees less on 111-113 LCAs.
Fast foward 20 years, in 2004 #2 guy at Erson, John Steely went to Oshkosh, WI to make or break Howard's Cams. A year or two later Erson was a dumpster fire.
I can tell you had some inside experience.... (y)

I can tell you had some inside experience.... (y)
Tanzi would have ground 5 degrees advance into that 242/254 cam because he liked to put the intake L/C @ 108 on just about everything.
In that case your timing card would read Int; 13/49 exh; 65/9
Direct injection engines should be less sensitive to overlap. Remember you read it here first.

Tanzi would have ground 5 degrees advance into that 242/254 cam because he liked to put the intake L/C @ 108 on just about everything.
In that case your timing card would read Int; 13/49 exh; 65/9
Direct injection engines should be less sensitive to overlap. Remember you read it here first.
I agree, Steve initially did want to cut it with less separation. But at the time, my brother was convinced he was going to be racing it frequently (VIR is nearby) and spraying every time, so after some discussion Tanzi relented and said since it was going to be bottle-fed all the time he could justify the low-end loss of torque because of the lack of advance. He still suggested the possibility of advancing it 2 or 4 degrees with the timing set... like a Hex-A-Just or belt drive.

Is he still around at Lunati or DYK?

I am not sure, but fram its the ph30 or 30 ending numbers.
Looks like it crosses to the:

LF3679​

Which does not have a synthetic media upgrade option, nor does Donaldson (I checked them too).

So, your best option may be the Mercury Marine filter @UncleDave mentioned unless you want to pony up for the AMSOIL EaO, which is the EAO24 if you want a part #.

Back