Oil looks good, why change it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a dangerous thread.

The color and appearance of oil does not tell you anything about whether the oil is still good. This works both ways, and black oil can still have many miles left in it.

While this car is probably quite easy on oil, there is no definitive, reliable way into extended oil drains than UOA's.

If the car is under warranty, only the antichrist and some Amsoil wackos will tell you to extend your oil drains. You will be on your own in the unlikely event of engine failure.

Just changed the oil in my G37 yesterday. The SynPower that came out of it looked pretty dirty (even on the dipstick) and it only had 2500 miles on it. However, it was the first change after factory fill, so for all I know it was cleaning something that the factory fill left over in the engine.

Point being, color can be influenced by many things. I didnt get a UOA on the outgoing Valvoline (car only has 3700 miles on it) but Im gonna guess it was still usable, even with how hard the 3.7L is on oil.

I prefer to err on the side of caution while under warranty....high quality synth, 5w-30 changed at 3750 miles or every 3 months or so. Exactly what Nissan specs, so there should be no issues with warranty if something happens to the engine.

Originally Posted By: TomYoung

If the car is under warranty, only the antichrist and some Amsoil wackos will tell you to extend your oil drains. ..

Do we really need this garbage here?

The color and appearance of oil does not tell you anything about whether the oil is still good.

I've found that color on the dipstick doesn't necessarily reflect what it looks like in the sump - have done some oil changes where it looked like that on the dipstick, and came out of the sump pretty nasty.

Do you really have a manual that calls for 3k changes??

eX4Kn.jpg

CMMjh.jpg

This is BITOG, get a UOA...right? Drive until 7,500 this time(or 10,000 if you can stomach it) and get a UOA afterward, IMO.

That's pretty balanced and moderate to me.

Also, I feel it must be said: You have a hybrid and are trying to depend less on 'resources' so why use more petro by changing the oil too often?

I strongly doubt warranty will be an issue by changing the oil every 10,000 if you get a UOA to back that, the manufacturer would have to prove, etc etc.

Hybrid = less impact on demand over time, right?

...and yes, if M1 AFE 0w-30 can't make the 10,000 'clean and safe', going to an Extended Performance/Drain oil will do so. Great candidate for 10,000 mile OCIs, easy.

*DISCLAIMER: This is under the assumption that there are no mechanical problems present in the vehicle and all other areas of maintenance are looked after responsibly.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Do you really have a manual that calls for 3k changes??

eX4Kn.jpg

CMMjh.jpg

Wow!!! I stand corrected!

Originally Posted By: Pablo

If the car is under warranty, only the antichrist and some Amsoil wackos will tell you to extend your oil drains. ..

Do we really need this garbage here?

Where's the garbage? Do you deny that SOME Amsoil fans advocate very, very, very, very long OCI's. I am not implicating the fine products the company produces, nor am I making any criticism of the dealers. That said, the point is that you need to stay on track on mfr recos during warranty, and that my opinion is that you need to take the very long OCI ideas with caution and with a grain of salt. And don't tell me that you don't know what I am talking about.

Now, if your response had to do with me mentioning the antichrist, you have my apologies.

Note that my manual calls for 3k mile changes also. And mine was printed for 2006 model year!

Gotta be careful with those broad blanket statements.

Last edited:

Now, if your response had to do with me mentioning the antichrist, you have my apologies.

Indeed. And Thank you. Mentioning Amsoil and antichrist...in the same sentence.....AND saying people who do extended drains are whackos.....the whole bundle = way over the top.

All of the [oil still good?] issues I've read centered on black oil, and some expectedly read as bad oil on UOA. But the truth is that many still read okay when subjected to UOA, despite the black color. However, I've yet to see pristine/good-looking oil (like the one posted at the start of this thread) read as totally spent on UOA. Seems to me this is because no one would do UOA if his oil color wasn't dark or black. Apparently no one believes such a good-looking oil color could ever possibly be bad. Anybody have any experiences to the contrary? For those using bypass filters, that's a totally different situation.

I think the newer Prius with the 10k OCI has a different engine than yours. Its not optimal to extend on the first M1 OCI, cleaning power churns up a lot of left overs from other oils. First M1 change 5k, then extend to 7500-8k see what happens. Also on those engines optimal oil level should stay under high mark, not at or over.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
I think the newer Prius with the 10k OCI has a different engine than yours. Its not optimal to extend on the first M1 OCI, cleaning power churns up a lot of left overs from other oils. First M1 change 5k, then extend to 7500-8k see what happens.

Good point. This will be the third M1 change. I changed the first one out at 5K, now the second change is nearly at 5K. This Prius ran the first 16K on the petro that the local Toyota dealer used.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim

Also, I feel it must be said: You have a hybrid and are trying to depend less on 'resources' so why use more petro by changing the oil too often?

Hybrid = less impact on demand over time, right?

What I find so amazing with this Prius is the fuel efficiency. I am disappointed when I can't hold the MPG greater than 55 mpg. Gasoline purchases are almost a non issue now. I drive more that 300-400 miles a week and now buy 6 to 8 gallons at fill up.

I'd love to use Mobil 1 0W40 in this engine, but that probably is a no-no. Then I'd use the same oil as I do in my other cars. I've thought about going 50/50 with 0W40 and either 0W20 or 0W30 and then slowly increasing the % of 0W40 at each OCI. If MPG suffers than I'd just use the 0W30 only. In Europe I think a heavier oil is specified for the Prius, but I am not sure about that.

To get a viscosity range of 0w-40 requires additives. The longer the OCI, the better the chances these additives degrade, leaving a thicker oil at all temps over time. This is where a UOA comes in handy.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

Indeed. And Thank you. Mentioning Amsoil and antichrist...in the same sentence.....AND saying people who do extended drains are whackos.....the whole bundle = way over the top.
I am standing by my point - that if a person is under warranty and the warranty requires a specific oil interval, and that person decides to extend the drain interval, then that person is a wacko. I am down with extended drain intervals and am trying to edge into a 10,000 mile OCI in my '01 Acura TL, but will use UOA to get there and will back off if this is not going my way. (the manufacturer wants the oil outta there at 7,500 miles.)

Now, when I see the Amsoil guys with their 24,000 mile posts, my question are about 1. Usage, 2. Whether the car has the oil volume and filtration capacity to hold the soot, dirt, unburnt fuel, etc. that come from this kind of mileage. I will accept that the oil and additives may still be working properly at these high mileages.

your driving screams for extended oci's
I wouldnt do it blindly..
I would also use a 0w20. possibly a 5w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back