oil for my crazy nephews car

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a crazy 19 year old Nephew who drives the heck out of his 2004 toyota corrola. He drive round trip to college about 100 miles a day and further to work. He changes the oil every 3k but uses any old stuff he can find. Heck, he doesnt even know what oil is in it right now. I was checking the oil level prior to him going back home and I noticed that the level was good but alot of burned oil stain a full half way up the dip stick. I would consider anything he is doing to the car severe duty. Do you guys have a recommendation on oil.

I would not consider driving 100 miles per day as severe duty. Highway miles are actually good for it. Pick him a good 5W-30 synthetic oil, use the Toyota filter and have him change it every 7.5K.

Highway miles are the easiest miles you can put on an engine. He could probably go at least 6K on conventional oil, easily 10K on synthetic.

normally i would agree with the above, but thinking back to my days as a 19 year old, , , flooring it cold to get on the freeway, driving 85 mph etc etc

Something is not right. If he changes his oil every 3000 miles and does not run way low or his car does not overheat, the dipstick should not be burned oil stained.

I agree the distance isnt a big deal at all, I made the severe comment because I have seen him drive. Its peddle to the floor all the time. I thoght the dip stick was odd as well. It wasnt that way 6 months ago. It took steel wool to remove all the burnt on oil, I will look at it again next month.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tenderloin
Something is not right. If he changes his oil every 3000 miles and does not run way low or his car does not overheat, the dipstick should not be burned oil stained.

You are assuuming the nephew has owned and maintained this car since new. Doesn't sound like that to me.

He has owned the car about a year but I looked the car over when he purchased it. From all indications, it "appears" to have been well maintained. The dip stick was clean or had been cleaned but this burnt on oil stain has happened within the last six months. I am not kidding when i say it is burnt for about half the length of the entire dip stick. I dont know if that is indicitive of some internal problem or just high heat in the 1.8L engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HyperJinx
He has owned the car about a year but I looked the car over when he purchased it. From all indications, it "appears" to have been well maintained. The dip stick was clean or had been cleaned but this burnt on oil stain has happened within the last six months. I am not kidding when i say it is burnt for about half the length of the entire dip stick. I dont know if that is indicitive of some internal problem or just high heat in the 1.8L engine.

I wonder if he used some of that SA-rated stuff? That could explain the varnish, because I can't imagine there being varnish at 3k OCI's with 100 miles a day... even with severe driving.

Originally Posted By: HyperJinx
... burnt for about half the length of the entire dip stick...

So it's not just where it dips into the oil. You're right that this may be a hot engine, or he's using some wierd oil.

Those deposits are the result of heat and blowby deposits.
Really dive into the PCV system and make sure every part and line is OK.
And seal or gasket leaks will make the PCV system not work right.
For instance, valve cover leaks can cause the venting to not flow right.
Clean the dipstick and see what happens after a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back