Oil for a car that sees Uber use?

I'd probably go with the Mobil1 EP and run it 5,000-6,000 miles...or The Castrol extended performance, it's is a little cheaper and probably as good.

But I would consider UBER driving "harsh"...probably a lot of stop and goes, some city driving. And it's a hybrid, that engine could be turning on and off a bit too.

But I would consider UBER driving "harsh"...probably a lot of stop and goes, some city driving. And it's a hybrid, that engine could be turning on and off a bit too.
The ICE turns on and off at the whim of the hybrid system, doesn't idle much, and usually has a mild to moderate load. Uber city use isn't that different from typical hybrid city use, which is better than a conventional car on engine longevity.

Wife's 2019 prius calls for 0w16 so you "lucked out" with the easier-to-find 0w20 requirement. They have ten quart bladders of supertech full syn for a reasonable price.

Agreed. I told him if he wanted to drive for them, he should have bought a 2010-current Prius, which IMO is the only way an Uber driver won’t lose their scalp. I blame a friend talking him into this. 🙄
Yeah I hear you. It’s called the “wiped butt phenomenon.” People don’t tend to listen to the advise from people who’s butt they’ve wiped. No matter how sage the advise.

Any API SN Plus rated 0W-20 will do. Just stick to the “severe service” schedule. M1EP is a solid choice.

I personally think that Uber driving is worse than normal driving. Most people may have a few trips of city/stop and go per day or week. Depending on the rides, an Uber car may experience 10-20x more city driving than the average vehicle.
Yeah buts it's all at operating temperature, very little wear occurs here and problems like moisture buildup in the oil are non existent. I agree on sticking to the severe service interval however.

An engine that is constantly running, even in city traffic, and isn't being beat on, is actually pretty reasonable use. I wouldn't worry too much about the oil selection.

From your description, he is going to avoid cold starts, short trips, and full throttle runs that are hard on engines and their oil..

The wisdom of using that car for Uber? Well, that's a separate topic altogether.

Finally, he can absolutely choose his trips. When a customer puts in a bid for an Uber ride, drivers are offered the trip. If they don't pick it up, some other driver will. He chooses his hours, and whether or not he wants to pick-up/drop-off in certain parts of town.

The wisdom of using that car for Uber? Well, that's a separate topic altogether.
Yeah, he's probably losing money driving for Uber once you calculate the cost per mile on a newish high dollar car. I'm not sure why everyone loves Prius for Uber, probably a high mileage late model Camry or Accord is more appropriate, large enough for passengers, regular gas so nothing too complex like a battery that will cost thousand to replace at once and priced low enough that the cost per mile isn't that bad.

Yeah, he's probably losing money driving for Uber once you calculate the cost per mile on a newish high dollar car. I'm not sure why everyone loves Prius for Uber, probably a high mileage late model Camry or Accord is more appropriate, large enough for passengers, regular gas so nothing too complex like a battery that will cost thousand to replace at once and priced low enough that the cost per mile isn't that bad.
Maybe he enjoys doing it beyond the dollar figure. Its a nice way to get out of the house, explore places you wouldn't normally visit and meet people.

Many Uber and Lyft drivers told me the Prius is the best car for it. But they had to get a car from Uber’s Hertz program, Lyft’s Express Drive program or via subprime lending/BHPH lot. Last time I checked, the rental options from Hertz and Lyft are $200/week. The local Toyota dealer was begging people to sell them used Prii, a bulk of their business was Uber.

Before the virus that isn’t mentioned, they can be had for cheap since many are ditching them for Teslas and Subarus. The cost per mile is low - if someone doesn’t steal your cat or the brake actuator doesn’t fail. They are fairly durable and decently roomy. There’s refurb batteries and people who cobble batteries for them. In many ways, the Prius is the modern-day Crown Vic.

Reactions: Y_K
Many Uber and Lyft drivers told me the Prius is the best car for it. But they had to get a car from Uber’s Hertz program, Lyft’s Express Drive program or via subprime lending/BHPH lot. Last time I checked, the rental options from Hertz and Lyft are $200/week. The local Toyota dealer was begging people to sell them used Prii, a bulk of their business was Uber.

Before the virus that isn’t mentioned, they can be had for cheap since many are ditching them for Teslas and Subarus. The cost per mile is low - if someone doesn’t steal your cat or the brake actuator doesn’t fail. They are fairly durable and decently roomy. There’s refurb batteries and people who cobble batteries for them. In many ways, the Prius is the modern-day Crown Vic.
That doesn't sound like a group of people who might have really crunched the numbers. It may be from a daily driving standpoint as having lowest cost per mile due to the gas mileage. But in general, I think it's an awful car and glad not be in one. I see more Camrys as taxis than I do Prius.

. I see more Camrys as taxis than I do Prius.
in SF, the taxi companies are buying used Fusion and Escape Hybrids from the auctions. Soon, they’ll be getting used Malibu hybrids from the rental companies. I’ve been seeing new Ioniqs and Niros as Ubers recently - the used Prius market has dried up and dealers want $30-40K for CPOs or new ones after markup.

That's just the first one that comes up. There are many more.

Similar to the previous trend of people getting robbed or killed over Craigslist deals.

Similar to the previous trend of people getting robbed or killed over Craigslist deals.
Well there's not too much Craigslist can do about it as anyone can post. However Uber could do more to stop unknown passengers by not allowing throwaway credit cards or vetting their passengers more just like they do their drivers. Of course bad drivers get through too so there's always a limit as to what you can really do. I know a guy who used to be a taxi driver, he showed me his bullet holes scars where he survived several bullets. He has no interest in driving a taxi again.

Agreed. I told him if he wanted to drive for them, he should have bought a 2010-current Prius, which IMO is the only way an Uber driver won’t lose their scalp. I blame a friend talking him into this. 🙄

If he thought it out correctly it would have been a better idea to buy it in pure black and drive for Uber Black instead, their "VIP" transport service that costs a lot more. Being a Lexus SUV it's a prime vehicle for Uber Black, and you'd avoid a lot of riff raff. Maybe do Uber Lux instead.

Still it's very much a terrible idea.

As an anecdote, though, one of my bosses at the oil change shop I worked at had a Lexus RX hybrid from around 10 years ago or so, and it had 450K on it and he said he said besides two battery packs all he's done is oil changes and brakes.

Back