0W-16 or 0W-20 for road trip?

My manual states that 0W-16 is recommended but “An oil with a higher viscosity may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds, or under extreme load conditions.” Seeing how I’m traveling out to the Midwest where 80 and 85 zones are common and the vehicle will be loaded down with three adults and luggage. I’d probably be fine with 0W-16 but I’m just wondering if anyone seeing any reason not to bump up to 0W-20? It’s a Toyota A25A-FXS powered hybrid.

Price-wise, after rebates there are negligible differences. 0W-16 AFE is $12.37/jug vs 0W-20 M1EP at $9.37.

0W-16 AFE is 70-80% PAO vs 60-70% PAO for the 0W-20 M1EP, so they are both high quality.
I would check with Toyota what do they mean by extreme load conditions and high speed. Then you would have a better understanding what you should do. Otherwise, we can only guess what it means.

I think in markets outside the U.S. manufacturers would have trouble selling cars if they only specified 0w-16. These merkets haven't bought onto lower grade oils, yet.

Several times during the video, it was emphasized that we should only use 0W16.

Early results with teardowns of this new engine, (Atkinsonized and Hybridized, world class thermoefficiency) show problems with using THICKER oils.

Personal experiences @ + 350k miles using 0W16 (now available in SP/GF-6B) points towards nothing to see here.

Anonymous old school BITOG poster and taxi driver in Volgograd says no.

Got it.

Early results with teardowns of this new engine, (Atkinsonized and Hybridized, world class thermoefficiency) show problems with using THICKER oils.

Personal experiences @ + 350k miles using 0W16 (now available in SP/GF-6B) points towards nothing to see here.
What problems? How much thicker?

What problems? How much thicker?
Being that this engine is so precise, with features such as laser clad intake valve seats, sharp angled oval shaped valves, diamond like carbon honing at the pistons, I would imagine that any abnormal wear would be problematic.

I have not personally conducted a teardown, and therefore rely on experts with experiences specific to this engine.

There are plenty of circumstances where common sense and thicker oil should be used...not here.

Being that this engine is so precise, with features such as laser clad intake valve seats, sharp angled oval shaped valves, diamond like carbon honing at the pistons, I would imagine that any abnormal wear would be problematic.

I have not personally conducted a teardown, and therefore rely on experts with experiences specific to this engine.

There are plenty of circumstances where common sense and thicker oil should be used...not here.
You have a good imagination

I certainly agree that this is an engine with very precisely designed features, but I don't see why that precludes using an oil "thicker" than 0W-16, especially since Toyota states, in various manuals, that thicker oil not only can be used but actually recommends it.

Anonymous old school BITOG poster and taxi driver in Volgograd says no.

Got it.
Who has over 350,000 miles on the very new 0w-16? Documentation please. And you said "personal experience". Please tell about that.

Likewise, do you have ANY documentation on these "early teardowns"? And if so, what problems were found?

Yes, the anonymous Youtube dude said to "use what's in the manual" several times during the video. OK, let's use what's in the RUSSIAN manual.

I'm not saying that 0w-16 won't be fine for an around-the-city grocery getter. But I DO maintain the position that the engine will be fine with higher viscosities - and so does Toyota, which both recommends a higher viscosity for high-demand situations in the US, while recommending up to 15w-40 in THE SAME ENGINE overseas.

This situation is another great example of CAFE trying to eek out every last mpg.

Last edited:
Mike, I was about to suggest Schaeffer/Amsoil 15w40 for them Toy engines, but I can't find my asbestos suit.
Chip, those would be excellent choices!

Both the oils and the suit.

🔥 LOL

So for that matter would be Delo etc etc. but not in winter (have to cover all the bases you know, or someone will say "yabut")

Last edited:
At this point, I have used 0W16 appropriately in three vehicles for over 350,000 miles total. Everything from TGMO, to Citgo, to PP to M1 AFE, to Ravenol EFE to HPL HDMO. It is always great to hear from the experts. :giggle:
Hi Kuato.
Looks like it's a tie between 0W16 and 15W40 at high temperatures,
according to the informative Russian viscosity chart provided.
:ROFLMAO:

Shel_B.
Now just a darn second.
First you posted the Russian owners manual--in Russian.
Then you tell me I have a good imagination.
:D

There have been dozens of threads showing a wide range of recommended specified viscosity in the owner's manuals for many of the same engines used in other countries. Only in the USA the owner's manuals specify the lowest viscosity possible, with maybe a stipulation to use one grade thicker for extreme use conditions. The USA oil call-outs in OMs are obviously CAFE driven, and not engineering driven. If the car manufacturers don't call it out in this matter in the USA, they don't meet the CAFE requirements ... same thing with showing the oil viscosity on the oil fill cap.

The reason you'll see in some other countries higher grade oils recommended for the same cars sold here is because they don't have any national auto fuel economy standard.

A reason you might not see lower grade oils in some other countries is that they are stuck back in time. They believe the oil should be changed when it gets dark. They still do vulcanizing on tires. Cars get grease jobs despite the fact there is nothing to grease.

Back