Oil for a car that sees Uber use?

Turns out my dad’s driving for Uber in the car they recently bought, a 2019 Lexus RX450h. It was a futile attempt to stop him(or shame them into buying a Prius or Sonata/Altima for that). Anyways, the car calls for 0W-20, as any recent Toyota uses. The engine is the “hybrid” version of the 2GR-FKS, the 2GR-FXS. At least the engine has Toyota’s D4-S dual port/direct injection system so I’m not worried about DI deposits as much.

Since the car will see lots of city traffic and stop & go, I’m thinking an “extended performance” 0W-20 such as M1EP, Castrol Edge Extended Performance or Valvoline Extended Protection with 5K OCIs. Use one of those, or just stick with any D1G2/D1G3 oil?

I’m also thinking of running BG’s EPR for PM every 30K to keep the rings free - Toyotas as of late seem to have a tendency to burn oil as they age.

Any API SN Plus rated 0W-20 will do. Just stick to the “severe service” schedule. M1EP is a solid choice.

I personally think that Uber driving is worse than normal driving. Most people may have a few trips of city/stop and go per day or week. Depending on the rides, an Uber car may experience 10-20x more city driving than the average vehicle.

Any API SN Plus rated 0W-20 will do. Just stick to the “severe service” schedule. M1EP is a solid choice.

I personally think that Uber driving is worse than normal driving. Most people may have a few trips of city/stop and go per day or week. Depending on the rides, an Uber car may experience 10-20x more city driving than the average vehicle.
Depends on what trips you take as an uber driver.

Yep, I’ve been in a new RAV4 with 30K on the clock that was an Uber and many Prii that have seen better days. Judging by the amount of Ubers I see at the local Toyota dealer as well as the local quick lubes, I might be a little OCD. The dealer and one quick lube pours Havoline “synthetic technology”, the other defaults with GTX bulk synblend, and of course, Jiffy Lube.

I think 10K is “normal” service per Toyota, 5K is “severe”. I do 5K drains in everything. And I’m not ready to do the 60K spark plugs and vacuum pump in this. Unless this V6 is easier to service than the older MZ/early GR engines.

it should be easy on the engine as it will stay up to operating temp for the time it Is in service. i Would run the Cheapest rated synthetic I could get my hands on in it. What you should advise him on is avoiding overLu intoxicated riders that will do a number on the interior. Airport duty would be better and safer than late night For example. Better to load bags than clean up vomit,

it should be easy on the engine as it will stay up to operating temp for the time it Is in service. i Would run the Cheapest rated synthetic I could get my hands on in it. What you should advise him on is avoiding overLu intoxicated riders that will do a number on the interior. Airport duty would be better and safer than late night For example. Better to load bags than clean up vomit,
He’s told me he won’t drive at night. He actually enjoys going on longer trips so far. This car is a hybrid - so there will more extreme temperature swings, Toyota axed the coolant thermos system used on the first 12 years(1997 JDM until 2009 global model) of Prius used in favor of a exhaust heat recovery system on all their hybrids.

But given my experiences with a Prius burning oil, the temp swings are a consideration - oil coking at the rings.

Last edited:
I'd be more worried about getting jacked than the the type of oil used.
And I told him that - those characters should be riding the bus or a bike. He said he won’t go into the more seedy places but he doesn’t have say.

Driving for Uber doesn't give much info. How many miles a day or week or month is he doing ?

He should use whatever is absolute cheapest since it’s for a business. He’s already going to lose his shirt with running a high end vehicle into the ground.

My Fusion is a business lease and it gets the absolute bare minimum that can safely get me down the road. Also gets turned every 3yrs.

He should use whatever is absolute cheapest since it’s for a business. He’s already going to lose his shirt with running a high end vehicle into the ground.

My Fusion is a business lease and it gets the absolute bare minimum that can safely get me down the road. Also gets turned every 3yrs.
This. He would be better off flipping burgers at McDonalds or working at Target.

Agreed. I told him if he wanted to drive for them, he should have bought a 2010-current Prius, which IMO is the only way an Uber driver won’t lose their scalp. I blame a friend talking him into this. 🙄

This. He would be better off flipping burgers at McDonalds or working at Target.
The funny part about that - Uber/Lyft/Amazon/Doordash are postering in front of McDonald’s, Starbucks and Walmart in my area looking for fresh meat. More so Amazon for the warehouses and Whole Foods.

Reactions: CKN

DF3F41F6-93B9-4262-9792-E8C7BCF7FD73.jpeg

Back