Oil for 2021 Mazda CX-5 Skyactiv 2.5L Turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I'm getting a new Mazda CX-5 Skyactiv 2.5L Turbo and I'm not sure what oil I should use. I'd like a 0W-30 to help with faster oil flow and easier startups in winter, but I'd also like a higher HTHS and TBN oil to protect better for 10K Km intervals. A 5W-30 would also be good. It will be daily driven in Canada, some spirited driving, but nothing excessive for extended periods of time. Any recommendations for a full synthetic oil for this application?

I looked at Motul's 8100 X-Cess 5W-30, it has an HTHS of 3.5 and TBN of 10+, but I can't seem to find it here in Canada...

Last edited:
Hey guys, I'm getting a new Mazda CX-5 Skyactiv 2.5L Turbo and I'm not sure what oil I should use. I'd like a 0W-30 to help with faster oil flow and easier startups in winter, but I'd also like a higher HTHS and TBN oil to protect better for 10K Km intervals. A 5W-30 would also be good. It will be daily driven in Canada, some spirited driving, but nothing excessive for extended periods of time. Any recommendations for a full synthetic oil for this application?

I looked at Motul's 8100 X-Cess 5W-30, it has an HTHS of 3.5 and TBN of 10+, but I can't seem to find it here in Canada...
"Flow" is not relevant, but the grade does affect cranking and pumpability. However the difference between a 0W and a 5W rated oil will only be significant below -30 or -35, so unless you are starting at those ambient temperatures either one is fine.

A great oil that has an HTHS of 3.5 is Mobil 1 ESP, the TBN is not what you are stating but at the same time it will not be necessary for that engine even with extended drain intervals. 10K Km is not really an extended interval for any capable synthetic oil.

Last edited:
What do you mean by 'spirited driving'? It is a suv with 250 HP, max. Are you taking it to a mountain pass and running it hard with zero cool down time? Taking it to the drag strip?

If you aren't doing any of that, then I don't see why you would change the oil weight in the car. Honestly, the dealership will do the first couple OC anyways, then run Mobil 1 or Castrol 5w30 and call it good.

I don’t have one of these turbo Mazda’s (at least not yet), so I don’t have an owner’s manual, but I found this on the Interwebs:

Engine oil capacity, liters:
4.8 (5.07 us quarts) - service change;
5.9 (6.23 us quarts) - dry;
0.2 (0.211 us quarts) - oil filter

Does this mean in a typical oil change, you’re leaving approximately a liter (a quart or more) of the old oil in the engine? Doesn’t that sound like way more “old oil” than “usual?”

Yes you are likely leaving close to a quart of oil IN the engine.
Nothing new there. Oil galleries, cylinder walls, oil coating most
all internal parts, and puddles here and there.
New oil at change will quickly replace and mix with that 'old' oil.
Don't loose sleep over this.

My 2¢

Here's a thought: if you have nothing constructive to say, why say it? If we all had to just consult the owner's manual, why have such a forum? Not only did I not have the car / owner's manual when I posted my question, but the owner's manual specifies 5W-30. I was hoping to get recommendations on which oil brand was better, what specifications / approvals are better, as well as perhaps a better / more appropriate viscosity such as 0W-30. There's a lot of information out there which the manual does not have.

Thanks again to those that had constructive recommendations.

If it's brand new and you're going to be sticking to owners manual intervals to maintain warranty, I wouldn't look any further than Kirkland or Supertech 5W30. Can't beat the price for a SP rated full synthetic.

The Mazda service schedule for Canada is ridiculously short (5000mile/8000km/6 month), the benefits of a more expensive or longer drain oil are wasted on it in my view. And wouldn't bother with an 0W30 until out of warranty for the same reason, GTA rarely gets cold enough for it to make a difference.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back