Oil filters for other fluids?

Any reason I can't use the same filter I have for oil, as atf, power steering, coolant?
Fram ultra...
I found affordable bases and it would be easier.

Atf already has a filter and why would you need it for power steering, coolant? It will introduce unnecessary restriction to flow and cause more problems than whatever you are trying solve.

It depends on application. You SHOULD NOT use an automotive engine oil filter for hydraulic fluids. One example is hydrostatic transmissions.

So as a bypass for atf and power steering, ok.
Coolant, I did see the 10 micron screen filters I could rig as a bypass.
I've had such a run of bad luck, I'm trying to get ahead of the ball.

Nothing is ok until you give specifics on the the filter heads and filters you want to use, with the year make model specifics

Coolant filter heads and filters are available too. Might be easier to change the coolant more often than required to avoid problems.

Cloning the B&M, Permacool,.... is the safest bet for common vehicles. Magnefine is a no brainer for many.

What does bad luck mean?

Any reason I can't use the same filter I have for oil, as atf, power steering, coolant?
Fram ultra...
I found affordable bases and it would be easier.
Oil filters do work to filter hydraulic fluids and atf. I personally have the old version ultra in my atf cooler return line right now. Just use the biggest filter you can get to fit the mount you install. I think full synthetic media is preferable for better flow and because it will not absorb any potential water/moisture. Also, understand that the bypass setting in an oil filter is set to function at a higher pressure. The small atf in-line filters are set at around 3 psi while an oil filter will usually be set no less than 8psi and some much higher.That said the wix 51269(10um) hydraulic filter has a cellulose media as do several others and a bypass pressure rating of 8 psi so…..
Just be smart about it.
I would just put an in-line filter in the power steering fluid line rather than plumbing and mounting a remote filter head for that.
Filtran makes a good magnetic in-line atf/power steering filter with a 25um media cartridge inside. Wix sells this filtran filter rebranded as wix also.
Magnifine has a magnet directly in the flow path and I think a 30um filter media.

Not sure if an oil filter could be used for coolant. A full synthetic media maybe???
A cellulose media or blended media is probably going to absorb and hold the water. That would be bad. I’d do some research on that.

I want to know if the media in the fram ultra will stand up to use in coolant. It is pure synthetic fiber, not cellulose.

I would probably use a metal filter for a coolant filter, you can clean them with a ultrasonic cleaner.
You can use spin ons for remote ATF filters, but if you're doing put it before the cooler so you don't have to replace that in the event of a transmission failure.

3551F4BA-A8E6-4F5B-8395-BA2A54F03F36.jpg

Back