Kohler Oil Filter Alternatives?

Hello,

I just purchased a 'new to me' lawn core aerator. The aerator is equipped with a Kohler Command Pro 173cc vertical shaft engine. It seems pretty good for this application. I was pleasantly surprised to see it equipped with a spin on oil filter. The Kohler Pro Extended Life oil filter has a part number: 14 050 36.
I just looked up these filters and they are about $20 each, and really can be found on select online stores only. Now knowing Kohler most likely doesn't make these, and just rebrands them, I'm wondering if I can get an alternative from Napa or Carquest which is a little cheaper, and easier to obtain? This filter is a small, stubby one. I'm wondering what would be the best course to look up a cross reference for one? I Googled it a little, but was finding alternatives for other Kohler engines.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!
filter.jpg

Also Fram endurance 3614 from walmart is cheaper vs what Kohler wants, and its top of the line. Currently have one on the inlaw's Cub Cadet, probably wont change it for 2-3 years.

View attachment 209327
Turn the steering wheel lock to lock; does the steering arm contact the filter?

I bent both 3614 and Wix 51348 before realizing my mistake.

Turn the steering wheel lock to lock; does the steering arm contact the filter?

I bent both 3614 and Wix 51348 before realizing my mistake.
No contact, it looks close but the arm barely moves in that direction, the arm moves forwards and backwards by the steering gear under the steering wheel.

No contact, it looks close but the arm barely moves in that direction, the arm moves forwards and backwards by the steering gear under the steering wheel.
Yeah, that is what I thought too.

Maybe the arm has been redesigned.

I like to make sure I get 3614 type filters with a quality silicone anti-drain back valve. I find that if I don't, since it might go weeks without being started, the oil will often drain from the filter back into the sump and read high the next time I use the mower. It can't be great for the motor to have to refill an oversized filter at every cold startup.

If I can fit it, PH3614/51348. Else, I think a PH4967/51394/Toyota F1 or N1 filter.
The 4967 series filters aren’t wide enough. Plus, they are for Kawasaki or Generac.
The short version would be the 8170 series.

I can’t remember the YouTube channel, but the outdoor power equipment guy with bad teeth has a video of how the wrong filter can ruin a Kohler engine.

As noted, 'if room permits' any 3614 or equivalent (Puro10241/Wix 51348) automotive application should work quite well. Using an automotive application, always a better value (less cost) than the OPE filter. And depending on filter, a silicone adbv used on the auto app another plus. @Zee09 has some options listed. I'd also add the ~$6 Super Tech MP3614.

When 910S was ~$4 not long ago, was a top choice for me. But now has more than doubled in price. Still, I'll bet less than the OPE in the OP. No pun intended. As noted, looking at topic filter, I don't believe it is the narrower 4967 equivalent used on some OPE engines.

Last edited:
I can’t remember the YouTube channel, but the outdoor power equipment guy with bad teeth has a video of how the wrong filter can ruin a Kohler engine.
Teryl Dactyl? He also has a video where he talks about how oil filters are really unnecessary on small engines.

The family ranch 2007 Gator with a kawasaki doesnt have one and has been going good for 1250+ hours. I researched and found that the same engine does have an oil filter housing provision and will add it sometime in the future but not in a hurry.

Back