Oil filter regional availability/popularity by sales.

I'm in GA, and have noticed over the years that certain oil filter brands are rarely seen around here on either automotive or heavy equipment/farm machinery applications.
It is rare to see Baldwin, Hastings, Casite, Fleetguard, or Donaldson branded oil filters for example.
Any comments as far as regional use and/or availability of specific brands in your part of the country?

Years ago I concluded that there must be enough filter brands to satisfy demand.
The retail brands were always Purolater, Fram, AC-Delco. The retailers included some Motorcraft and Mopar to pick off sales to brand loyalists.
Of the brands you list only Casite is a cheaper version of the parent but a retailer (or chain) would have to open the Hastings catalog to order them.
Now that Mann-Hummel has purchased Purolater you've seen a few M-H on shelves. I chalk that up to marketing. Only a few "European element" filters are represented. The ones stocked are likely for engines available here. No AAP is going to service a foreign car garage.
Forget finding one for my 5 cylinder Volvo.
There's a professional truck brake shop near me which has Baldwin filters in stock. Trouble is they're well over double the price of any known retail filter.

It still amazes me how many different sizes of filter there are.

Brand names are losing their meaning these days. Mann & Hummel and First Brands make the majority of the filters out there regardless of what brand name is on the product.

Hate Purolator but think Wix is the best? Check again. Can’t stand Fram but swear by Mobil 1 filters? Same story.

German parts? Closest is atlanta, 4 hour drive. I can get Purolator paper element only and canisters, Will you find German maintenance oils like power steering fluid? No. I can't even find manual transmission fluid anywhere where I live either.

Here in Canada if you are not familiar with chains like Napa and Carquest, then you would be looking for what Walmart or Canadian Tire offer. Fram, Quaker state would be most popular unless you buy from the dealer. Canadian Tire has their own motomaster brand which I never buy. Even Walmart up here doesn't have super tech filters at most stores.

I buy all my filters from Rockauto 6 filters at a time to save on shipping. Fram Ultra is my go to filter. I've used many others previously Wix Napa, Purolator, Mann, Mahle, Honda, Fram OCD, Quaker state.

Vw Jetta 2011 2.5 - 15w40 , Vw Jetta 2014 2.0 - 15w40 , 2020 toyota camry - 20w50

Love your signature. I can't imagine how hard some Toyota purists are ripping their hair out right now, due to you not using 0W16 in that 2020 Camry, as "ToYoTa EngIneerS bUilt ThaT enGIne SpEcIfIcAllY fOr 0W16 TolErAnCes AnD ClEaRaNceS" according to them.

Love your signature. I can't imagine how hard some Toyota purists are ripping their hair out right now, due to you not using 0W16 in that 2020 Camry, as "ToYoTa EngIneerS bUilt ThaT enGIne SpEcIfIcAllY fOr 0W16 TolErAnCes AnD ClEaRaNceS" according to them.
Haha! I also have a 2013 camry that i've used 15w40, it has better compression than a junk engine thats used 0w20 all its life.

Haha! I also have a 2013 camry that i've used 15w40, it has better compression than a junk engine thats used 0w20 all its life.
Are you in a warm climate? Even here in the midwest many fleet companies put 15W40 in their modular Ford trucks. I worked at a place that used 10w40 in all their Ford work trucks with zero issues.

Back