Oil Effect on Start/Stop Smoothness

Well … the S/S effectiveness can vary based on where you live. I take a slow back road to town … this route also avoids busy intersections and LH turns. At the first stop sign, very low odds of meeting a vehicle. But left on … S/S is going to kill the engine for the one second I came to a stop. Useless and annoying …
Should have some lag time built in ?
but then you lose the whole point of S/S, a lot of these stops are only a handful of seconds... what if they put 5 seconds of lag? The engine would get stopped right as you want to pull away at 6 seconds...

Better would be if a light pressure on the brakes would not activate S/S, versus a firm pressure. Or somethging like that. Some vehicles have this actually.

but then you lose the whole point of S/S, a lot of these stops are only a handful of seconds... what if they put 5 seconds of lag? The engine would get stopped right as you want to pull away at 6 seconds...

Better would be if a light pressure on the brakes would not activate S/S, versusy a firm pressure. Or somethging like that. Some vehicles have this actually.
I mean a lag in shutting off while motionless for a sec - as opposed to not stopping as the law requires … Yes, vehicle “knows” motion and intent … if I kept rolling slightly at the stop sign - both the motion and light brake pressure signal to keep the motor running …
It clearly makes more sense at a big city traffic light than at a small town stop sign.

Last edited:
If you were in 1st gear with the clutch pushed down while checking the mail, and your foot slipped off the clutch pedal the car would lunge forward too. And a torquey 375 HP big block probably wouldn't stop if that happened.
In that car you put it in neutral and took the leg off the clutch any chance you got. That thing was a workout!
1967 Chevelle SS396 with headers and the big cadillac 500 v8 800cfm rochester q-jet. Back in the mid 70's when you could buy those cars from kids for 750 bucks - rust free!
Thinking more about this, I am sure now I took my foot off the brake as the engine was off and "forgot" it would start when you take you foot off the brake - as I had been driving it all along with the auto start-stop disabled. I just forgot to hit the switch that afternoon after leaving the drugstore.
I'm taking pills now, never have before. I don't LIKE it. Bad side effects.

braking the front outside tyre to a skid?
No. ABS Hill Holder problems. My house it at the top of a steep hilly driveway. I was trying to make it up the driveway with some light snow and slush and I almost made it over the top crest but it wouldn't make it. So I put the manual trans in neutral, and started SLOWLY rolling back down the drive way, gently applying the brakes - and the thing LOCKED the brakes and I slid down 75 feet of hill at great speed across the road near my Neighbor who was shoveling his driveway entrance. Nobody hurt except a bit of snow packed into my rear axle.
I have over 50 years of "brain stem" memory on how to dance on the three pedals and its not changing anytime soon. I was a very aggressive sports car driver - always looking to drive a car up to its limits and a bit beyond. Then this nanny junk came in and messed up my game.

Yeah definitely a case of some is good and more is worse. I take it you took your foot off the brakes as soon as they locked but no good?

On my first ABS car (1992) even abs stopped working under about 10 mph, so you could lock the brakes if you wanted in snow. The current one doesn't however. But besides that the nanny aids aren't intrusive and by themselves won't stop you from doing silly things if you desire. It's very hard to provoke traction control to step in for example, corner or not. Kickdown can make both front tyres slip for example. But it seems 90% of cars are not made this way, and even an "off" button doesn't mean the systems are actually off.

I though you referred to the system that prevents roll overs in cornering, as used by Porsche and others see video attached...

Yeah definitely a case of some is good and more is worse. I take it you took your foot off the brakes as soon as they locked but no good?
... ... ...
On, the Jetta it wont release until you take foot of brake for 2.5 sec. I did some testing after bumping into this thing constantly at hilly intersections; it would toast the clutch if you gave it gas and it is still engaged. Tricky enough with a 3200 lb car with a 1.4L turbo

Software prog issue for sure

I never noticed any difference in the S/S system from various oils.
I usually turn it off in Boston because it's dangerous.

That's what I loved about my fox-body years ago. Aluminum headed & custom cammed stroker. As long as you didn't sidestep the clutch, it would just roll forward. It would go 48mph by 6th gear without the right pedal if you shifted at 1k rpm.

T-56 swap?

Then you truly don't understand how it works. I can attest to the fact that on the Jeep Grand Cherokees it's not a smooth system. My son and his wife both own one...driven them both on multiple occasions-and comparing the S/S on those vehicles compared to a 2021 Silverado I put 50 miles on-there is no comparison in smoothness.
I stand by my statement And I do know how they work. Even in our MB.

S/S technology will keep improving just like everything else. With that said, I drive plenty of rental vehicles each year to get a good idea at whose S/S is the best. GM is by far the leader in S/S operation, the 1.5T paired with the CVT, and the 5.3 DFM both have seamless S/S operation.

The worst vehicles I’ve driven with S/S are Chrysler and Mercedes vehicles. All the other manufacturers seem to be somewhere in between the spectrum with GM on top, and Chrysler and Mercedes at the bottom.

Back