Oil Effect on Start/Stop Smoothness

If you have to keep glancing at the tachometer while stopped to make sure the engine is running then you have a smooth engine indeed.
May or may not have tried to crank my already running 1uz when I first got it. No witnesses IN my car...a few around it though 😆

Wish all my cars had AutoStop. Wonderful silence and ultimate smoothness whenever you come to a stoplight. Are there any kits that will add this feature to a car that doesn't have it?
I almost broke my arm in my new ford with start stop. I forgot to hit the "disable" button when leaving the drugstore to get my new BP meds, pulled up to my mailbox, was reaching in and my foot slipped of the brake and the engine started and the car lurched forward with my arm 1 foot inside the mail box! I twisted the mail box and my hand came out just as I was getting chopped by the rear window guide channel.

Now THERE is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

The car lurches since ford uses a stiff converter and low gearing on this drivetrain. Its in fourth gear at 35mph with normal light acceleration. The thing will run away in drive with you foot off the gas at the 800 rpm idle.

The same thing would happen in a vehicle that doesn’t have a start/stop engine. There would be no merit to this lawsuit.
It has a high torque starter and it lurches foward more than usual.
Programming should apply the ABS as a roll control until the throttle is tipped,
Good Defense though.

I am just learning to drive a automatic - so give me some leeway here :)

It has a high torque starter and it lurches foward more than usual.
Programming should apply the ABS as a roll control until the throttle is tipped,
Good Defense though.

I am just learning to drive a automatic - so give me some leeway here :)

Put her in neutral or park Arco.

I can drive 375 HP Big block beast with a Muncie m21 or a Fiat 3P on two wheelsm but these new fangled automatic devices!
Never had that happen before. The Auto start stop was the ONLY difference.

I hear you PimTac - Park it is from now on.

Just like I blame roll control for almost killing me and my neighbor in my Jetta.
Garbage nannies that mess up people who KNOW how to drive!
Now I remember why I got rid of that junk- mobile.

Yep, a young girl had left her car in “drive” to apply her electronic card to the car reader to lift the gate to the parking lot entrance. She couldn’t quite reach the card reader and opened her door and stretched across to tap the card, forgetting the car was in drive. The car moved forward, and she got caught between the door and door frame. The medics couldn’t save her. “Park” only when reaching out your window. At fast food drive throughs I leave it on park and turn off the engine. Those young kids have to breath exhaust fumes for their entire shift.

I can drive 375 HP Big block beast with a Muncie m21 or a Fiat 3P on two wheelsm but these new fangled automatic devices!

I hear you PimTac - Park it is from now on.
I hate auto trans and auto stuff. My truck does not come with manual trans. I'm generally driving it is S (Sequential/Sport) mode. I had another V8 (auto) LONG ago for about a year and got rid of it. all my other cars were manual trans.

pretty soon they want you to sit there and do nothing. The car will check your mailbox for you using apps ... All letters will be electronic which may not be a bad idea but I would still disable the auto stop/start junk.

If you were in 1st gear with the clutch pushed down while checking the mail, and your foot slipped off the clutch pedal the car would lunge forward too. And a torquey 375 HP big block probably wouldn't stop if that happened.

If you were in 1st gear with the clutch pushed down while checking the mail, and your foot slipped off the clutch pedal the car would lunge forward too. And a torquey 375 HP big block probably wouldn't stop if that happened.
I think with the 375HP, he was younger and driving faster and ran over the mailbox ... Problem solved!

That's what I loved about my fox-body years ago. Aluminum headed & custom cammed stroker. As long as you didn't sidestep the clutch, it would just roll forward. It would go 48mph by 6th gear without the right pedal if you shifted at 1k rpm.

Well … the S/S effectiveness can vary based on where you live. I take a slow back road to town … this route also avoids busy intersections and LH turns. At the first stop sign, very low odds of meeting a vehicle. But left on … S/S is going to kill the engine for the one second I came to a stop. Useless and annoying …
Should have some lag time built in ?

Installed an auto stop eliminator on my Jeep. Auto stop is the most foolish and wear causing bs yet by the woke folks.
Then you truly don't understand how it works. I can attest to the fact that on the Jeep Grand Cherokees it's not a smooth system. My son and his wife both own one...driven them both on multiple occasions-and comparing the S/S on those vehicles compared to a 2021 Silverado I put 50 miles on-there is no comparison in smoothness.

Wish all my cars had AutoStop. Wonderful silence and ultimate smoothness whenever you come to a stoplight. Are there any kits that will add this feature to a car that doesn't have it?
no, but since manufacturers often use different bearing shells and uprated starter motors AND battery monitoring, I would be very careful when adding Auto-stop to any vehicle...

Back