Oil Effect on Start/Stop Smoothness

i just did my first oil change on my new 2021 Outback 2.5 with the new Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w20 and immediately felt a difference with the starts being noticeably smoother. The auto start/stop system was annoying me sometimes since the restarts were a little too noticeable, but I don’t mind it now.

is it just the fact that it’s a higher quality oil compared to Subaru factory fill (Idemitsu?) or is there something in the new GF6/SP spec that addresses this since many new cars have this feature.

Just curious. Lol

If I were forced into a frustrating and chronic 'start stop' situation, I'd get another partner car. 🚙👩‍🔧

1619649637665.jpg

How would you know what they use? Probably something not available off the shelf and containing additives to promote proper break-in which may not be in line with smooth start ups.
Total speculation on your part? How do you come to believe what they "probably" use? Just curious as to how you arrived at your position.

My link suggests otherwise. Do you have something to go on besides speculation?
There are numerous situations where manufacturers fill their new engines with off-the-shelf oils. That's why I asked how you arrived at your conclusion.

Mobil 1™ advanced full synthetic motor oil has served as the factory fill for many Chevrolet Corvettes, including the 2020 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray, and the recommended service fill for all Corvettes since 1993. As the Corvette evolved into the current world-class C7 sports car, the formulation of Mobil 1 motor oil advanced to meet the demands of these modern high-performance engines.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I thought everybody was Amsoil fanboy. OK, some other links,

These links have no relevance to the subject at hand. You will find that all automakers use oil from the major brands. There are no additional additives for break in.

The only exception is a specialty build but we are talking about Subaru here. The Idemitsu they use at the factory is the same you can from them online.

There are numerous situations where manufacturers fill their new engines with off-the-shelf oils. That's why I asked how you arrived at your conclusion.

Mobil 1™ advanced full synthetic motor oil has served as the factory fill for many Chevrolet Corvettes, including the 2020 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray, and the recommended service fill for all Corvettes since 1993. As the Corvette evolved into the current world-class C7 sports car, the formulation of Mobil 1 motor oil advanced to meet the demands of these modern high-performance engines.

Yes but that doesn't mean they don't pour in some proprietary additive to promote break-in. They don't advertise that nor am I suggesting that all manufacturers use something like that, but engines are still steel and aluminum like they were 50 years ago when break-in oil was more of a thing. OP asked why his car ran different after just the first oil change and I'm suggesting one possibility. Take it as you wish.

There are so many claims on here-some based on fact-others on pure speculation. It's hard to see the difference sometimes. I had a loaner from a Chevrolet Dealer today-2021 Chevrolet Silverado LT Crew Cab/with the 5.3- had 600 miles on it. The start/stop was almost non-detectable. It's hard to fathom it could be any smoother using Pennzoil or any other Voodoo brand on here recommended.

Funny word that...
Placebo is an actual cure, without the drug, not what people here attribute to in this circumstance, imagining smoother.

There's studies showing that certain oils can be quieter/noisier, that's not placebo.

And certain additives that provide that also.
High moly oils are legendary for being smooth/quiet (y)

I wonder if PYB and QSAD are still the kings of high moly?

Back