Oil change interval Rotella Gas Truck in Kia GDI used for delivery

I have Rotella Gas Truck 5w30 in my 2012 Kia Optima GDI and I'm a delivery driver. Lots of stop and go and idling. A lot of engine restarts throughout the day as well.
How long would you push it?

With out a uoa my wild you know what guess would be the manufactures longest oil change interval. If the oil didn't last I would use a lower priced oil.

Considering it's GDI with lots of stop and go, I'd change it every 5k, especially since your Kia is likely part of the major engine recall from those years. Take care of it as best as possible and that is good oil. Kia dealer will get you a free engine if it gets rod knock, seizes up, or gets a knock sensor code that illuminates the MIL before blowing up.

I am certain most manufacturers would classify a delivery vehicle as severe service so check the OM and follow that OCI. If you are already out of warranty, a UOA will confirm if the oil is suitable for more miles between changes.

Since it is severe service combined with a trouble prone engine, 3750 miles. Without sales or rebates prob go with ST synthetic, Kirkland or Menards FVP syn. Check oil level often. Another sign of premature failure with this engine is it starts gulping oil.

I think as long is you keep an eye on the oil level I’d probably keep it around 5,000 miles. I like the RGT, used it for over a year in my truck...seemed like it did a nice job.

From what I've read about KIAs and D.I engines around these parts, I'd stick to a 5,000 miles/8000km OCI. You could go for a premium oil filter like Fram ultra synthetic and change it every other oil change. But I'd change the filter with EVERY oil change regardless of what it's rated for.

Since it is severe service combined with a trouble prone engine, 3750 miles. Without sales or rebates prob go with ST synthetic, Kirkland or Menards FVP syn. Check oil level often. Another sign of premature failure with this engine is it starts gulping oil.

It consumes about a quart every 1000 miles at 115000 miles. Is this a concern? There are no leaks that I can detect

It consumes about a quart every 1000 miles at 115000 miles. Is this a concern? There are no leaks that I can detect
At the rate your replenishing it -- I would just change out at 5000 miles with the cheapest Dex 2 rated oil you can find like ST Full Synthetic High Mileage. Has the PCV ever been replaced yet?

Last edited:
At our truck garage we used to have the oil changed in our big trucks every 2 months if local and used for severe service w/idling and short trips. Pretty good general rule if the mileage doesn't go over what your severe service is.

Uber/taxi and delivery(this also includes Doordash and Amazon) is hard on an engine. Go no longer than 5K on oil.

My choice for those use cases is SuperTech or Kirkland - both D1G2 certified and cheap enough to justify 3K-4K drains with severe service. Use OEM Hyundai or Wix 51334 filters.

With what you are doing I would go 5,000 mi with a D1G2 rated oil of whatever flavor is cheaper.

After rebate 10 qt (2 x 5 qt) of M1 EP is $2.47 a qt. SuperTech is just under $2.80. Rotella Gas Truck is $2.12 if you can still get the clearance at AAP. Kirkland at Costco is a bit cheaper than SuperTech. You get the idea. You shouldn't need to spend over $3 a qt if you shop carefully. If Kia has to replace the engine we will discuss the maintenance plan on a new engine from there.

Back