YOUR WARRANTY ...what is the real chance of a warranty denial b/c of your oil? Examples?

I take what I've seen working at different dealerships, and from friends that still work at dealerships to be reliable sources and information which I believe. Some here might call it anecdotal, I can't change that. Warranty claims can be denied and have been denied. It is a rare occurrence but it can and does happen. If it does it often ends up in court.

I can say this, the odds of having a claim denied can be reduced by having the proper fluid level in the system in question. Eg: engine knock, make sure the oil level is full before bringing in the car, transmission issue, make sure the fluid level is correct. Clean cars seem to be thought of as better maintained by some people too, even though that isn't always the case. In the unlikely instance of having a warranty issue knowing what to say and what not to say helps too. ;)

I take what I've seen working at different dealerships, and from friends that still work at dealerships to be reliable sources and information which I believe. Some here might call it anecdotal, I can't change that. Warranty claims can be denied and have been denied. It is a rare occurrence but it can and does happen. If it does it often ends up in court.

I can say this, the odds of having a claim denied can be reduced by having the proper fluid level in the system in question. Eg: engine knock, make sure the oil level is full before bringing in the car, transmission issue, make sure the fluid level is correct. Clean cars seem to be thought of as better maintained by some people too, even though that isn't always the case. In the unlikely instance of having a warranty issue knowing what to say and what not to say helps too. ;)
Having a clean car, a clean engine bay, fluids full, and all your receipts + spreadsheet etc. should basically eliminate the drama with "this oil you have been using isn't approved" but of course there are always exceptions etc. making this convo pointless. You are always safe following the vehicle manufacturers recommendations/approvals.

Some here might call it anecdotal, I can't change that. Warranty claims can be denied and have been denied. It is a rare occurrence but it can and does happen. If it does it often ends up in court.

Removing obviously questionable claims, acknowledged items such as recalls or those claiming injury/damage/death which will automatically be litigated....

Its been my experience that most companies have a threshold and a risk matrix where a claim will usually gets auto resolved unless it hits whatever the described triggers are.

In the unlikely instance of having a warranty issue knowing what to say and what not to say helps too.

EXACTLY, people really need to realize that having the right to remain silent is not as effective as knowing when to use it.

That said, the company is almost always going to defend itself first and always regardless of the impact to the customer so always have a case prepared with evidence ( and don't give that evidence away without a detailed document trail and receipt)

Remember the other side of this equation too. Many people do stupid and wrong things then flat out lie to either cover it up or get a free lunch- companies are all well aware of this so a claim cannot be viewed as "legitimate" just because someone says it is. The company has every right to contest and stand their ground while the complainant has the burden of proof.

[demarpaint said: In the unlikely instance of having a warranty issue knowing what to say and what not to say helps too.]

I see I left out an important word, "denied." It should have read: In the unlikely instance of having a warranty issue denied, knowing what to say and what not to say helps too.

I think most people got my point.

What about in super exotic cars?
Highly doubt that is an issue. Most of those cars are dry sump and the average guacamole at Jiffy Lube is going to turn them away based on insurance risk alone let alone figuring out pulling 3+ drain bolts and oil lines. Professional shop will use what is appropriate or be held liable.

ALL, they need to do is scope the oil fill hole on the valve cover and if it is questionable, R&R the valve cover at what $150, and all info on if the engine had proper oil changes if the user does not have oil change receipts.

Frankly, the dealer isn’t that concerned if you get your warranty voided so I doubt they’d be saying, “oh my god your warranty oh my god.”

Are we really still doing this?

WRT to 508 - it is still greenish to the naked eye when your drain it after 9000 'ish miles. One of the "features" that Castol spelled out for the OE line was markers to identify misapplication. BTW VW has codes that can be set and attached to the VIN, so you roll in tuned for a recall and they find it, they can attach a code to the VIN that might come back to haunt you. I'm gonna go out on a limb and so other manufacturers likely do too...

I agree the chances of an engine failure are very small, if you're the chosen one though it is a big deal. I disagree that it won't be looked at closely if it happens. At the very least you're setting yourself up for extra work by having to explain it and have it scrutinized.

I'm aware of several denials for various reasons around fluid/maintenance history. Some long ago, some no so long ago. Usually there is some trigger, be it obvious neglect, aftermarket parts or in one case a dial in written on the windshield when it was towed in...

Don't set triggers, people getting curious and asking questions is not a good thing where warranty is concerned...

I’ve seen wrong types of oil be used many times and the customer tells us what they used most of the time. We never did deny the warranty once. Most of them use the wrong oil in their car or some other wrong type of fluid. In my opinion the warranty should of been denied.

A lot of Subaru warranty denials were due to modding. The gamers would quickly remove their stuff and feign innocence but the computer keeps track of certain things.

If the engine is knocking badly and you check the oil and there isn’t any, you fill it up and head to the dealer? “I don’t know why it’s making that noise”.

I can't imagine why anyone would even attempt such a thing. The way these engineers design these new engines, with such tight tolerances, a person would have to be out of their minds to run ANYTHING but 0W-16 in a new Toyota. It's why they place half a dozen stickers all over the engine bay telling you as much.

Anyone who knows anything would surely realize that it would be futile to do so, because the engine would seize into one solid mass before you got 3 blocks down the street.

Now, if you ran 0W-8 I might see some benefit. But ONLY in ambient temperatures above 100 F, and if the engine was going to be run at 6,000 RPM for hours on end, while towing 25,000 lbs. or more.

I can't imagine why anyone would even attempt such a thing. The way these engineers design these new engines, with such tight tolerances, a person would have to be out of their minds to run ANYTHING but 0W-16 in a new Toyota. It's why they place half a dozen stickers all over the engine bay telling you as much.

Anyone who knows anything would surely realize that it would be futile to do so, because the engine would seize into one solid mass before you got 3 blocks down the street.

Now, if you ran 0W-8 I might see some benefit. But ONLY in ambient temperatures above 100 F, and if the engine was going to be run at 6,000 RPM for hours on end, while towing 25,000 lbs. or more.
Your conclusions are opposite of what most/many/I think. Going thicker than the recommended viscosity, within reason, is never a problem but going thinner very well may be a problem.

I’ve “heard” of Subaru denying warranty due to using 5w40 and not 5w30 but since I don’t actually know of someone personally having this happen I am not sure if it’s real or not.
I’m gonna go out on a thick limb and say this is 100% urban myth since right in Subaru owner manuals it says something similar to “elevated temperatures or sustained high-speed operation may require thicker oils for sufficient engine protection”.

I’m gonna go out on a thick limb and say this is 100% urban myth since right in Subaru owner manuals it says something similar to “elevated temperatures or sustained high-speed operation may require thicker oils for sufficient engine protection”.
Straight from my Tundra owner's manual (says the same thing in my wife's Lexus manual):
  • The 20 in 0W-20 indicates the viscosity characteristic of the oil when the
    oil is at high temperature. An oil with a higher viscosity (one with a higher value) may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds, or under extreme load conditions.

I manage a small CT garage up here. I know I have gotten quite a few requests by customers to print out all the oil change invoices I can find for their Hyundai or Kia vehicle because the engine has failed, and the dealership will only start the process if they bring these to them. FWIW.

Your conclusions are opposite of what most/many/I think. Going thicker than the recommended viscosity, within reason, is never a problem but going thinner very well may be a problem.
Really??? He didn't even have to bait the hook, cast the line or anything. You just jumped in the cooler.

Dude. Please look both ways before crossing a street.

Reading this, I was thinking.....NOOOOO WAY ANYONE IS GOING TO FALL FOR THIS.

You are a troll God among us mere mortals.

Back