YOUR WARRANTY ...what is the real chance of a warranty denial b/c of your oil? Examples?

Idk why people think they need to use thicker than recommended in an everyday normal commuter car situation.

Most of the million-mile car stories the owner just used whatever 5w20 - 5w30 etc

Really??? He didn't even have to bait the hook, cast the line or anything. You just jumped in the cooler.

Dude. Please look both ways before crossing a street.
Some of us have better things to do than try and figure out if someone is being genuinely clueless or sarcastic. When I saw the name, obviously I assumed the former and not the latter. ;)

Just kidding, billt460

The manufacture would have to prove in court the oil choice caused the problem.

While true, most real world people cannot afford the down time of losing a vehicle and bearing the legal expense of taking that through civil court.
The few times I've heard of this IRL, warranty unfairly being denied, it was a couple hundred bucks for a MM attorney to write a letter and the warranty was honored. Not saying it always goes that way but in cases where dealerships are being unreasonable that has been the outcome.

The manufacture would have to prove in court the oil choice caused the problem.
Wow...un-Earthed from over 2 years ago!

Which isn't hard to do at all b/c in the end, they have more money/laywers/SMEs than you do. It's why many don't want to mess around with it and just follow the book under warranty b/c it's going to be a near-100% way to ensure you don't have to deal with this. I still contend these stories are so rare that anyone would care if you are using a 30 or 40 vs. a 20 that gets some folks all worked up and always seems to be the concern...thicker in a car calling for thinner. Regular maintenance and the records to prove it should suffice but again, no way to know if that's a 100% certainty. Risk tollerance...that's what this comes down to and many have very little. Too bad dealers are the front-line gatekeeper on warranty vs. the manufacturer and that is a lot of the issue I think....they usually have no idea how the warranty works or the nuances like the topic at hand.

This is in my 2021 Sierra manual. It's pretty clear to me: "Use full synthetic engine oils that meet the dexos1 specification. Engine oils that have been approved by GM as meeting the dexos1 specification are marked with the dexos1 approved logo." "Use SAE 5W-30 viscosity grade engine oil." Engine failure is rare but it happens. I'm not going to be that guy who has that rare engine failure while under warranty and has HPL in the sump even though I have faith that HPL is a superior oil. I'm sure the owner would stand behind the oil if GM would question it but just don't want the possibility of a hassle. Some people would look forward to going up against GM, not me. Another factor is I don't have much faith in the service department and don't need something for them to push back with. Just using HPL as an example, could be RP or whatever.

Screenshot 2023-03-05 at 11-54-28 21_GMC_Sierra_Sierra_Denali_2500HD_3500HD_OM_en_US_U_8474449...jpg

7th gen Civic SI. Ive forgotten most of the details. My friend with a seized engine @ 40-50k miles responded with something like: ”I’m pretty sure I changed the oil,” meaning once, ever. She ended up letting the car sit until it was stolen. Don’t ask me how it was stolen.

No warranty coverage.
Who buys an Si and neglects oil changes?

Idk why people think they need to use thicker than recommended in an everyday normal commuter car situation.

Most of the million-mile car stories the owner just used whatever 5w20 - 5w30 etc
Most all of the million-mile cars are also driven several hundred miles per day, most all on the highway so they’re also getting oil changes twice per month. So there’s that…

Most all of the million-mile cars are also driven several hundred miles per day, most all on the highway so they’re also getting oil changes twice per month. So there’s that…
Not sure the point being made here, of course a car being driven basically nonstop is going to get more oil changes.

The fact these cars run that long bombing down the highway on regular 'ol 5W20 at 3-4k rpm all day-every day kinda solidifies my point, don't know why people think they need additives or thicker oil than recommended in a run of the mill commuter car.

I manage a small CT garage up here. I know I have gotten quite a few requests by customers to print out all the oil change invoices I can find for their Hyundai or Kia vehicle because the engine has failed, and the dealership will only start the process if they bring these to them. FWIW.
My son had his Sant Fe engine go and replaced under warranty. It was a 2016 with 108,*** miles. They asked him for the oil change records or receipts. He had a few from Advanced and a few CC statements. They still covered the engine but it took 2+ months

My son had his Sant Fe engine go and replaced under warranty. It was a 2016 with 108,*** miles. They asked him for the oil change records or receipts. He had a few from Advanced and a few CC statements. They still covered the engine but it took 2+ months
The thing is sure...receipts but are they really going to go "AHA! 5W30 FOR THIS ONE INSTEAD OF 0W20 GOTCHA!". No.

It's why many don't want to mess around with it and just follow the book under warranty b/c it's going to be a near-100% way to ensure you don't have to deal with this. I still contend these stories are so rare that anyone would care if you are using a 30 or 40 vs. a 20 that gets some folks all worked up and always seems to be the concern...thicker in a car calling for thinner. Regular maintenance and the records to prove it should suffice but again, no way to know if that's a 100% certainty. Risk tollerance...that's what this comes down to and many have very little. Too bad dealers are the front-line gatekeeper on warranty vs. the manufacturer and that is a lot of the issue I think....they usually have no idea how the warranty works or the nuances like the topic at hand.
It's the only reason I stick with approved oils. Just wouldn't want to deal with the headache if something were to happen.

It's the only reason I stick with approved oils. Just wouldn't want to deal with the headache if something were to happen.
A completely reasonable way to look at it. As I've said...risk tolerance.

Yep. Friend recently went thru this on his CX9 as well.
The only issue I've ever heard was for the older 1.8T that VW had issues with sludging due to the small sump...VW wanted receipts but everything I read/heard said they just wanted to see oil changes...the type of oil wasn't so much of the issue.

I would add that I only trust 3 boutique oil brands anyway - HPL, Amsoil and Red Line. Rest I wouldn't touch with a 10ft pole.

If your engine needs more than a top tier full synthetic oil, you may want to look into a getting a different engine.

Mass market oil is at an all-time high for quality.

Last edited:
Back