***Official Member Picture Thread***

We really enjoyed having you guys over for dinner. It was a pleasure to meet you both.

I think you have to admit my recommendation for dinner (our house and my wife’s cooking) was pretty good!

Congratulations on a beautiful family.
So I live about half way between you guys, off exit 114 of Rt 81 in southwestern Virginia. Should either of you pass this way, consider this an invitation to dinner at our place. I am not a pilot or aircraft mechanic, but I have flown as a passenger on commercial jets over 1,000 times and formulated jet engine oils, if that counts. I'm also a good cook, have a well stocked wine cellar, and am having a built-in pool installed in June. 😁

I was born with a few health problems, and accepted long ago that I cannot be a commercial helicopter pilot like my dad.
While Psychology interests me, I worry about taking the baggage home with me sometimes, I can get too empathetic occasionally. Which means Radiologist, Lawyer, ( yes I am aware they are vastly different ) or who knows, maybe a heart surgeon. My family history is chocked full of heart problems, so that is also of interest. I'm known for breaking bones, and other issues out of my control, which makes radiology something I've been around all my life, and I find of great interest.

Radiology; any specialty really, pays extremely well. I know in Ontario you are north of $400K/year. The world is your oyster, if you can handle the long stretch in post-secondary, I think you'll naturally figure out what specialty you are interested in, as I believe at the beginning everybody has to take the same stuff. My cardiologist originally was planning on family medicine and being a GP until he realized how vague and overly generalized that field actually was, which immediately drew him into specializing in something to be more useful; do more good.

I was born with a few health problems, and accepted long ago that I cannot be a commercial helicopter pilot like my dad.
While Psychology interests me, I worry about taking the baggage home with me sometimes, I can get too empathetic occasionally. Which means Radiologist, Lawyer, ( yes I am aware they are vastly different ) or who knows, maybe a heart surgeon. My family history is chocked full of heart problems, so that is also of interest. I'm known for breaking bones, and other issues out of my control, which makes radiology something I've been around all my life, and I find of great interest.
I wanted to be a fighter pilot but did not meet the vision requirements . Today they accept people with my vision in the Air Force.

I envy people with career stability, we all do but not many other careers involve as many ups and downs, rediculously low paid jobs, until Getting a good job but even then it’s unstable.

It would be entirely different if you just got picked off the street and all your training was done and paid for by the airlines but its not ( not in North America ). Lots of money and time invested in making it in this industry, and even then, it’s not stable. You have to pass a pretty thorough medical every year to keep flying too. Lots of threats to your career.

Risk vs reward, I don't think the reward is good enough to be honest once the flying obsession wears off.

Last edited:
I wanted to be a fighter pilot but did not meet the vision requirements . Today they accept people with my vision in the Air Force.

I envy people with career stability, we all do but not many other careers involve as many ups and downs, rediculously low paid jobs, until Getting a good job but even then it’s unstable.

It would be entirely different if you just got picked off the street and all your training was done and paid for by the airlines but its not ( not in North America ). Lots of money and time invested in making it in this industry, and even then, it’s not stable. You have to pass a pretty thorough medical every year to keep flying too. Lots of threats to your career.

Risk vs reward, I don't think the reward is good enough to be honest once the flyimg obsession wears off.

Yeah, friend of mine is our pilot (his job isn't as sweet at @Cujet's but it's just as stable) and he has of course numerous friends that are commercial pilots that have been riding the roller coaster. While I expect some of them are paid better than he is, he's been in the same job flying the same planes and experiencing much lower stress than them. He's home with his family much of the time and there's certainly value in that as well.

Radiology; any specialty really, pays extremely well. I know in Ontario you are north of $400K/year. The world is your oyster, if you can handle the long stretch in post-secondary, I think you'll naturally figure out what specialty you are interested in, as I believe at the beginning everybody has to take the same stuff. My cardiologist originally was planning on family medicine and being a GP until he realized how vague and overly generalized that field actually was, which immediately drew him into specializing in something to be more useful; do more good.
Ontario, Ontario, Ontario...The Radioactive-Capital or the World! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I'm good friends with a gentleman, who is a Radiologist. He has allowed me to shadow him numerous times, and discussed pay. He makes just under $600k, and more often than not, gets to stay home, and view images on his computer, then do up reports. His computer monitor is so large and clear, this is not a Staples special, his dual monitors are $14,000 each, and his office computer is used strictly for work, so it doesn't get a virus. I've shadowed him in his home, at hospitals, and the work is very interesting. Techs do most of the actual scans, X-rays, ultrasounds, and the patient's hands on work.
I would never even consider becoming a GP. Too many hypochondriacs, helicopter parents that rush their kid to the Doctor's office for a sniffle, and other silliness. I want to help people who are actually hurt, or ill. If I were to become a lawyer, it would be in the field of criminal defense. When a crooked cop decided to frame my father and I a couple years ago, we had our own lawyers, and seperate trials, where our brilliant lawyers exposed the police corruption, and unraveled their lies before the two different Judges, getting a not guilty verdict on almost all charges. I was found guilty of resisting arrest, but the Judge deemed it such a mild case, I never saw a day in prison for it, just 2 years probation, where i promised to keep the peace, and had to take a 2 minute phone call from my probation officer every 60 days. I would like to defend people who are being railroaded but our injustice system.

Yeah, friend of mine is our pilot (his job isn't as sweet at @Cujet's but it's just as stable) and he has of course numerous friends that are commercial pilots that have been riding the roller coaster. While I expect some of them are paid better than he is, he's been in the same job flying the same planes and experiencing much lower stress than them. He's home with his family much of the time and there's certainly value in that as well.
Yep, corporate is one way around the instability...at least some corporate gigs. Home with family every night is why I don't plan on going the airlines route, and the stability of course. Also knowing that seniority is all that matters...you lose your spot at your carrier and now you go back to ground zero again rebuilding at another.

If I was to become a pilot, it would have been rotary, not fixed wing. Heavy lift would be an interesting career, been along with many pilots, not just my father. I have many hours at the controls, do everything from working on them, to every phase of flight, and just last month my dad only sat and watched me, offering a few verbal tips, while I conducted all the flying, pouring 36 cubic yards of concrete, making four large pads, on a mountain top. Pouring cement is one of the easier tasks in the world of heavy lift. Assembly of communications towers, building windmills, those sorts of task require much more precision.

Yep, corporate is one way around the instability...at least some corporate gigs. Home with family every night is why I don't plan on going the airlines route, and the stability of course. Also knowing that seniority is all that matters...you lose your spot at your carrier and now you go back to ground zero again rebuilding at another.
I wouldn’t get into aviation thinking coporate flying is less unstable. Yes, it solves the seniority problem when it’s just you and another pilot ( or one spare crew ). I know lots of pilots who got stuck in the coporate flying world Who have been through lots of jobs.

Cargo flying is more stable but less “glamorous” , but it’s not for everyone flying nights pretty much exclusively.

Correct me if I am wrong but I can’t recall hearing UPS etc laying off pilots. They are well paid.

This aviation debate should be in the aviation section so people can PM offline if they want to talk to me about it. I don’t want this locked up.

I'm good friends with a gentleman, who is a Radiologist. He has allowed me to shadow him numerous times, and discussed pay. He makes just under $600k, and more often than not, gets to stay home, and view images on his computer, then do up reports. His computer monitor is so large and clear, this is not a Staples special, his dual monitors are $14,000 each, and his office computer is used strictly for work, so it doesn't get a virus. I've shadowed him in his home, at hospitals, and the work is very interesting. Techs do most of the actual scans, X-rays, ultrasounds, and the patient's hands on work.
I would never even consider becoming a GP. Too many hypochondriacs, helicopter parents that rush their kid to the Doctor's office for a sniffle, and other silliness. I want to help people who are actually hurt, or ill. If I were to become a lawyer, it would be in the field of criminal defense. When a crooked cop decided to frame my father and I a couple years ago, we had our own lawyers, and seperate trials, where our brilliant lawyers exposed the police corruption, and unraveled their lies before the two different Judges, getting a not guilty verdict on almost all charges. I was found guilty of resisting arrest, but the Judge deemed it such a mild case, I never saw a day in prison for it, just 2 years probation, where i promised to keep the peace, and had to take a 2 minute phone call from my probation officer every 60 days. I would like to defend people who are being railroaded but our injustice system.
Yes, we own two DI clinics, I've setup my fair share of radiologists. In fact I was involved in the install of the radiology workstations at the new Parkland Hospital in Dallas, took quite a while, lol!

You are correct on the workflow. Patient is booked, tech does the exam. Tech vets the images and makes sure everything that was supposed to be captured is. Case is sent to the radiologist for reporting, which, more often than not, is done at home nowadays, report is either dictated, then transcribed, or, as is becoming more common, done with voice recognition or structured reporting. Report is then reviewed and signed off, then sent to the referring physician, usually via fax.

The schooling is of course very expensive and takes considerable time, but the byproduct is excellent compensation and guaranteed employment.

From the guys I know in the corporate world - corporate is far less stable than airlines. You can be fired for any reason, including the decision to get rid of the airplanes, saying something that a C-suite official doesn't like, or not being available on short notice when the boss feels like flying. Overnights are a large part of the corporate flying, only, you don't get to stay in the nice location, because the boss had their meeting, and wants to fly back that night. No rest rules compared with airlines, no flight time limits, no contractual protections...

No thanks.

From the guys I know in the corporate world - corporate is far less stable than airlines. You can be fired for any reason, including the decision to get rid of the airplanes, saying something that a C-suite official doesn't like, or not being available on short notice when the boss feels like flying. Overnights are a large part of the corporate flying, only, you don't get to stay in the nice location, because the boss had their meeting, and wants to fly back that night. No rest rules compared with airlines, no flight time limits, no contractual protections...

No thanks.
Yeah, I expect corporate is a wildly varied environment, depending on who the employer is, what the industry is...etc.

Yeah, I expect corporate is a wildly varied environment, depending on who the employer is, what the industry is...etc.
Correct. I know some corporate guys that stay for decades in the same place, never or very rarely overnight, and when they fly are back by dinner time. I know another that was told by the boss to not only ferry him around in air but his family members on the ground too...something he obviously never signed up for. Corporate gigs pay is quite variable too...seems to me many are underpaid.

We really enjoyed having you guys over for dinner. It was a pleasure to meet you both.

I think you have to admit my recommendation for dinner (our house and my wife’s cooking) was pretty good!

Congratulations on a beautiful family.
Without a doubt, one of the best meals either of us had ever had, and some of the best conversation, too! Ranging from aviation, to the military, medicine, firearms, current events, etc...Definitely one of the highlights of our honeymoon!

At one point, Mrs. Astro14 excused herself from the table for a little while, and then reappeared with a wrapped wedding gift for Britta and me!

We were totally surprised and delighted!

There are some great people on BITOG!

Without a doubt, one of the best meals either of us had ever had, and some of the best conversation, too! Ranging from aviation, to the military, medicine, firearms, current events, etc...Definitely one of the highlights of our honeymoon!

At one point, Mrs. Astro14 excused herself from the table for a little while, and then reappeared with a wrapped wedding gift for Britta and me!

We were totally surprised and delighted!

There are some great people on BITOG!

Absolutely incredible!

Are we allowed to say that these days? Thought we had to be gender neutral, such as "The symmetry of your human features places you on the right side of the appealing bell curve". 😁

I see her as another member. What‘s the point of calling out her looks? If one of you said I was cute I’d feel EXTREMELY uncomfortable.

Back