OFFICIAL: Ford F-150 “Lightning” EV

Electric F150 is not creating new jobs, only transferring from gas F150 and other pick up truck production. If anything I am willing to bet that due to production efficiencies and being electric, the net effect will be a loss of jobs.
3 new plants is not creating new jobs? Infrastructure inprovements does not creat jobs?

3 new plants is not creating new jobs? Infrastructure inprovements does not creat jobs?
So you are saying that Ford is going to sell an extra 150,000 pick ups? That those electric pick up truck sales aren’t taking sales from somewhere else? New plants does not equal new jobs.

So you are saying that Ford is going to sell an extra 150,000 pick ups? That those electric pick up truck sales aren’t taking sales from somewhere else? New plants does not equal new jobs.
I see your point but respectfully disagree. Here's why:
Ford has 150K reservations. How will they meet that and future demand? Will that cut into current ICE production? Of course, but it is not a 1 to 1 ratio.
And certainly not a net loss as you suggest.
A net loss of jobs would likely occur if Ford loses market share to another EV manufacturer if they cannot build enough Lightnings.

How many car batteries does Ford make today?
There is a global move to EVs. Who do you want the business to go to? Evolve or die in business. Nothing is static.
The writing is on the wall. Lead or fall behind. The opportunities are boundless. The vehicles are just part of the future market demand.

Last edited:
I see your point but respectfully disagree. Here's why:
Ford has 150K reservations. How will they meet that and future demand? Will that cut into current ICE production? Of course, but it is not a 1 to 1 ratio.
And certainly not a net loss as you suggest.
A net loss of jobs would likely occur if Ford loses market share to another EV manufacturer if they cannot build enough Lightnings.

How many car batteries does Ford make today?
There is a global move to EVs. Who do you want the business to go to? Evolve or die in business. Nothing is static.
The writing is on the wall. Lead or fall behind. The opportunities are boundless. The vehicles are just part of the future market demand.
The more electric vehicles made, the more jobs that will be lost especially with new plants. Even taken with a huge grain of salt, the number of man hours reduced for electric vehicles is huge. Admittedly a bare bones Model 3 also has fewer parts due to its cost cutting design and lack of interior.
From NBC:
Hybrid cars combine electric drive hardware with a conventional, internal combustion engine, and require more labor — about 9.2 man hours compared with 6.2 hours for a typical gas vehicle. But an all-electric vehicle cuts that down to 3.7 hours, Mark Wakefield, head of the automotive practice at consultancy AlixPartners, told NBC News.

Fewer man hours to build a car=fewer employees, or the same number of employees working fewer hours.

The more electric vehicles made, the more jobs that will be lost especially with new plants. Even taken with a huge grain of salt, the number of man hours reduced for electric vehicles is huge. Admittedly a bare bones Model 3 also has fewer parts due to its cost cutting design and lack of interior.
From NBC:
Hybrid cars combine electric drive hardware with a conventional, internal combustion engine, and require more labor — about 9.2 man hours compared with 6.2 hours for a typical gas vehicle. But an all-electric vehicle cuts that down to 3.7 hours, Mark Wakefield, head of the automotive practice at consultancy AlixPartners, told NBC News.

Fewer man hours to build a car=fewer employees, or the same number of employees working fewer hours.
You are suggesting Ford should give the business away to a competitor because an EV drivetrain is less complicated to build?

If you have ice and fish in the frunk, won’t the draining melting ice leave a fish smell under the car and on the cars following your mach E? First world concerns.

Electric F150 is not creating new jobs, only transferring from gas F150 and other pick up truck production. If anything I am willing to bet that due to production efficiencies and being electric, the net effect will be a loss of jobs.

Hard to say on the jobs. They might be created in one place only to be lost in another.

I think the electric 150 will take sales away from the gasoline 150. Businesses, utilities, municipal and any other local industry that wants to go electric will get this instead of the gas powered. As long as they have the capability to plug in at night to be ready to go in the morning then they are good.

Wow, they are saying the long range (300 mile) battery is 1800 pounds and might get even bigger! That's an impressively large battery as it is. It seems Ford is targeting 450 miles of range. Which some predict will require something on the order of almost 3000 pounds of battery.

The issue is this, even the long range battery can't tow a modest load 100-125 miles and a significant load is predicted to be less than 100 highway miles. This means the possibility of the rumored bigger battery is getting very real.

I don't do a lot of towing with my F150's but when I do, it's a significant weight (about 6000-7000 pounds) for 1250 miles.

Last edited:
All I’m saying is jobs will be lost building electric vehicles.
Think of it this way: back then domestic were making real bad cars that doesn't even last 100k miles. Then due to competition with Japanese they started using automation and make cars that are much more reliable or they are going to be bankrupt. At the time there were people saying that making cars last too long is going to cut down jobs. They were also concerned that automation would make people lose jobs. That was 30 years ago.

Now in 2021, would you agree that Ford should go back to making cheap low quality cars by hands so they only last 60k so they can keep people employed? Would you buy a car like that in 2021? Would Ford survive if they keep building these kind of cars?

Hard to say on the jobs. They might be created in one place only to be lost in another.

I think the electric 150 will take sales away from the gasoline 150. Businesses, utilities, municipal and any other local industry that wants to go electric will get this instead of the gas powered. As long as they have the capability to plug in at night to be ready to go in the morning then they are good.
One thing for sure: if you are the only one not selling a product customers want but everyone else is, you are going to go out of business and lay off people.

Think of it this way: back then domestic were making real bad cars that doesn't even last 100k miles. Then due to competition with Japanese they started using automation and make cars that are much more reliable or they are going to be bankrupt. At the time there were people saying that making cars last too long is going to cut down jobs. They were also concerned that automation would make people lose jobs. That was 30 years ago.

Now in 2021, would you agree that Ford should go back to making cheap low quality cars by hands so they only last 60k so they can keep people employed? Would you buy a car like that in 2021? Would Ford survive if they keep building these kind of cars?
Im not sure how my English can get any more clear. All I said is that electric cars and new factories equals fewer jobs for Ford overall, all other things being equal. This is the result of modernization. No judgement from me.

Im not sure how my English can get any more clear. All I said is that electric cars and new factories equals fewer jobs for Ford overall, all other things being equal. This is the result of modernization. No judgement from me.
I understand that part, but this is inevitable as we move forward in civilization.

Respectfully, I get your point. I just disagree.
My point is, what if Ford does not keep up with technology?

A very old saying in business is, "You grow or you go."

Respectfully, I get your point. I just disagree.
My point is, what if Ford does not keep up with technology?

A very old saying in business is, "You grow or you go."
Indeed. It’s good that Ford invests in EVs, as so are everybody else. ICE is going away, slowly but steadily. If Ford wouldn’t provide you EV cars, then the cars would come from somewhere else, Germany, Japan, China…

Production goal doubled again for the F-150 Lightning. Now shooting for 150,000 trucks per year.

Final EPA Range Estimates:

- XLT, Lariat & Pro w/ Extended Range Battery: 320 miles.

- XLT, Lariat & Pro w/ Standard Range Battery: 230 miles.

- Platinum: 300 miles.

GM, Ford, and all others have great plans to produce significant numbers of EV trucks. Unfortunately, we have epic shortages of both the raw materials to make Lithium batteries and insufficient battery production capacity. Heck, we now have a 40,000 ton battery-grade graphite shortage (it's just carbon, and we have a shortage) along with skyrocketing nickel prices, shortages of lithium and cobalt too. GM is now limiting production to hundreds of EV's per month not the predicted 10's of thousands. Ford is doing the same. Sure, you can get a Mustang EV, a Hummer EV or,,,, if you are willing to wait 4 to 6 months (or even more).

Right now, this stuff is darn close to "vaporware".

Most people are unaware that there may not be enough readily available lithium on Earth to power everything with batteries.

Last edited:
Back