OEM Foam or K&N?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My bike has a rectangular oiled-foam air filter ( much like the ones on the old B&S 3.5hp classic mowers, just bigger), and see that K&N has a filter for my application. Which is the better filter type? foam or K&N? BTW the K&N would be a direct drop-in, and not really too concerned with cost, but moreso with filtration.

Here in NE Texas, a lot of lawn mowers last for many years, even though they spend much of their time running in a cloud of sand. Those old mowers have oiled foam air filters. I had a push mower that used a straight paper panel type air filter, no oiled foam. Using Mobil 1 15w50 oil, that B&S engine was junk in 3 years.

For filtration, I'd choose the oiled foam over the K&N.

Use a paper filter if one is available. They last a long time and don't require much attention. Heavy dirt like sand falls off paper but sticks to oiled filters.
Foam would be my choice over K&N
New motorcycles that use fuel injection compensate for air restriction so there is no harm in having a restrictive filter other that a slight loss in max horsepower. Unless you are racing this is not a concern.

[ October 28, 2003, 12:21 PM: Message edited by: Jim ]

I never took it apart, but it looked like a bad case of ring/cyl wall wear. Smoked like crazy, burned oil like crazy, but it did still run. To be fair to the paper air filter, I should mention that the mower in question was used hard- if I had used dino oil, it probably would have worn out much sooner. It was commonly used for cutting a yard that needed, & now has, a lawn tractor.

Is it possible you could combine an oiled foam sleeve/sheet over a K&N air filter?

[ October 30, 2003, 12:00 AM: Message edited by: Stuart Hughes ]

I thought B&S recommend a straight 30W dino in their small engines. They do over here.

[ November 01, 2003, 02:38 AM: Message edited by: DavoNF ]

I use a foam (UNI) filter on my '97 Honda because replacement OEM paper filters cost over $30. I still use a paper filter on my '82 Kawasaki because aftermarket filters cost under $10. I clean and re-oil the UNI filter every fall before I park the bike due to the wonderful salt-covered Minnesota roads...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back