NTSB urges Mandate to Limit the Speed of new Vehicles to the Posted Speed limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would be fine with absolute vehicle speed limiters at something reasonable, transport trucks have had them at ~65mph for a decade here with no negative issues. The odd time you'll get two ignorant ones passing each other at a snails pace, but its pretty rare really, and I don't schedule my drives for a 70mph average speed, so I'm fine with it.
Setting the absolute limiter for cars to 75-80mph would be OK with me and well over any legal limit.

Varying the speed limiter by vehicle location is a bit trickier and open to hacking and potentially government over stepping its authority. In this digital age I'm not 100% opposed to more government oversight and potentially intervention, but there also has to be matching public transparency and oversight when these powers are used.
The speed limit on some highways around here is 75, so a limit at like 85 would be reasonable but not appreciated

My insurance company currently offers a discount. But there's a catch. I have to allow them to install a device in my vehicle that records my driving.

I said absolutely not. I will pay more to maintain my freedom.

I do not always want to drive 55, and occasionally if the sun is shining my Mustang GT has a tendency to cause its rear tires to loose friction for some reason.

Anybody who is OK with this government neutering needs to lose their American citizenship. Our founding fathers are rolling in their graves.

They want to have kill switches to stop impaired drivers installed in new cars starting in 2026.

Being "on the run" is not most people's reasoning for fearing this type of control. It's the fact that if you disagree with something, you might go to plug in your EV and it says "sorry, your bank account has been locked because you traveled outside of your designated area, or because you liked X post".
Debanking of Dissidents is already a thing in Germany, UK, and Canada.
No Bank = no credit card, no credit card = no electricity for your vehicle.

There is enough cameras on every highway/bridge/city....anywhere that you will be found cash or not. :ROFLMAO:
Yes, the "lets not try to be free, because its hard argument", so beloved of the Political class.
Obviously there are pitfalls this is why I added "theoretically".

But lets not make it easier than it has to be.

Certainly not if favor of any active control over private vehicles but wondering how not being able to go 100mph is limiting people's mobility?
Nothing wrong with being able to go 100mph and more if condtions warrant it.
I used to live in GE and since I commuted outside of rushhour that was almost daily speed for me.

Nothing wrong with being able to go 100mph and more if condtions warrant it.
I used to live in GE and since I commuted outside of rushhour that was almost daily speed for me.

Where is this idyllic “GE” of whence you speak?

This is not correct.
What is available to the public you may not be able to view, absolutely able to view faces and have been for a long time now

Yes, it is correct. I am familiar with the cameras used for vehicle detection, having worked with them before. They are fixed in place and designed to view an entire leg of an intersection. They can zoom in and out, but they do NOT have the zoom capabilities required to do what you say. Even if they did, zooming into a portion of the view would screw up their detection capabilities, because to configure them you must define the detection zones and once that is done they must be reset if the camera zoom is changed. So the camera is zoomed to show enough of the intersection where detection zones are to be configured, they are configured, and then the camera is never changed again unless it's desired to reconfigure the detection zones. (Some of these detection zones can be a couple hundred feet long, if that gives you some idea of how zoomed out they are).

The ptz cameras (in the dome enclosure) DO have the ability to zoom, but they are not generally used that way unless a human operator sees something of interest and manually commands the camera to zoom into an area. Otherwise, they are left zoomed out.

All you really have to do is look at the cameras used to pick up license plates for toll lanes and you'll notice how and where they are installed which differs significantly from the cameras used at intersections--because they are used for very different purposes.

Last edited:
Looking at where Germany is compared to the USA on this chart has me thinking speed limits aren't the issue:
Screenshot 2023-11-20 143045.jpg

unlike in present day America, where you can get rich by criticizing your pentagon. In future America, no one will pay these people any attention, no one will pay for their beautiful noble ideas of equality. They will be simply squashed, like roaches.

Yes, it is correct. I am familiar with the cameras used for vehicle detection, having worked with them before. They are fixed in place and designed to view an entire leg of an intersection. They can zoom in and out, but they do NOT have the zoom capabilities required to do what you say. Even if they did, zooming into a portion of the view would screw up their detection capabilities, because to configure them you must define the detection zones and once that is done they must be reset if the camera zoom is changed. So the camera is zoomed to show enough of the intersection where detection zones are to be configured, they are configured, and then the camera is never changed again unless it's desired to reconfigure the detection zones.

The ptz cameras (in the dome enclosure) DO have the ability to zoom, but they are not generally used that way unless a human operator sees something of interest and manually commands the camera to zoom into an area. Otherwise, they are left zoomed out.
I know your replies are sincere and I think some of it if accurate. But I do know, the cameras you have worked with are not the same as what is available or "published"
This is the best example I could come up with but they DO exist in our country as well and have for some time. Heck I remember reading about it and see demo's but now in my search*LOL* if like its almost "wiped"
Im sure my internet search is now in some data base! *LOL*

Anyway, here is an example overseas, now being used to even ticket "distracted" driving, as in using your cell phone behind the wheel, there is more but I have been at this computer tooooo looooong today. IF I find some I'll post it.
Best I could come up with. One must keep in mind and this is NOT a conspiracy, but surveillance as we know it, to keep us safe is not exactly public knowledge. There are stationary cameras at intersections here that can zoom for faces. Been around for a while. I thought common knowledge but struggling to find it. Even in movie sets criminal seek to cover faces in crime movie driving cars, where hoodies over most their faces, yes, I know a movie is fantasy but knowledge enough that it exists.
do believe in facts, best I could come of with though is this below overseas..

Last edited:
I know your replies are sincere and I think some of it if accurate. But I do know, the cameras you have worked with are not the same as what is available or "published"

These aren't the cameras you'll find at a typical intersection. DOTs by and large do not have the funds for them nor are they interested in collecting license plate data unless it happens to be on a toll road where there's money involved (the license plate data being used to bill the toll road user) (or for red light/speed cameras, again, where money is involved).

These aren't the cameras you'll find at a typical intersection. DOTs by and large do not have the funds for them nor are they interested in collecting license plate data unless it happens to be on a toll road where there's money involved (the license plate data being used to bill the toll road user) (or for red light/speed cameras, again, where money is involved).
I just updated overseas, common knowledge now on speed cameras, https://www.gbnews.com/lifestyle/cars/new-speed-cameras-inside-cars-highway-code-changes

At least in Ottawa, it was a nice way to tell the protestors that you've made your point, had your "freedom" party and its time to go home. And to seize some money for the normal residents to sue for later.

We live in a democracy and they can use the political system just like the rest of us, to try to make their ideas become law. They may not like that their ideas will never become acceptable by the majority, but maybe that should tell them something...

If you want to live free of government interference, move, real estate is very cheap in areas like that.

Only speed cameras allowed here in Virginia are in school zones. They're also about 4 feet off the ground and seem to be designed to get a picture of the rear of the vehicle. Can't speak to what is allowed or used in the rest of the country. EDIT: The red light cameras are also aimed to get a picture of the rear of the vehicle).

I don't think excess speed is the problem. The problem is people driving too close to each other. You can still rear-end the vehicle in front of you driving 65 mph and cause significant damage. Being prepared for stopped traffic on the freeway is way safer than any speed limiter.

In the future, autonomous cars will be driving at a high rate of speed, but every car will know exactly where the other car is in relation to their position and the exact speed the other car is traveling. You will see a steady stream of cars on the freeway driving the exact same speed and maintaining the exact same distance from each other.

Last edited:
At least in Ottawa, it was a nice way to tell the protestors that you've made your point, had your "freedom" party and its time to go home. And to seize some money for the normal residents to sue for later.

We live in a democracy and they can use the political system just like the rest of us, to try to make their ideas become law. They may not like that their ideas will never become acceptable by the majority, but maybe that should tell them something...

If you want to live free of government interference, move, real estate is very cheap in areas like that.
It's a slippery slope. We have pro-Palestine rallies happing now where pro-Hamas propaganda is being preached, attended by people representing groups that are expressly forbidden from operating in Canada, and these are seemingly taking place with impunity. Selective enforcement breeds resentment, which is one of the reasons we are seeing signs of a Federal version of the minivan party on the horizon. The population turning on an administration in such a dramatic fashion is a direct result of the divisive policies and actions undertaken. Idiotic slogans and tag lines eventually get old. People are tolerant of directionless government preaching endlessly about everything "progressive" when times are good, but when that goes south, suddenly having the government version of the Kardashians running the show is an apparent and alarming liability.

If you are going to declare a state of emergency over being inconvenienced by a predominantly peaceful occupation of blue-collar folks who, right or wrong, feel that government is overreaching, then you sure as hell better be willing to do the same when the bloody ISIS flag is being flown at protests in Toronto, or you look like a rudderless ship of overt wokeness scared to death of taking any sort of action against a group that isn't working-class white people.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back