Not how I wanted to start off the new year.

Wow. I feel so sorry for you. I have worked with wells and pumps for 40 years. I always felt bad for people who were up against an unexpected bill. Gotta have water. But 50K is just crazy. Hope things work out.

Yes, mine is about $600.00 a year. Chris, are you married to that location? Perhaps it’s better to contemplate relocation. What if things get worse? 300 feet is such a reach. Having no water is such a terrible predicament. I’m so sorry you’re going thru this.
How does he sell a property with no water?

Mess the well guy left. No reason to put it all back right now.

Attachments

• IMG_20230106_161905458.jpg
    IMG_20230106_161905458.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20230106_161909352.jpg
    IMG_20230106_161909352.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 54
Man that's tough. If you drill 400 feet is water pretty certain? Out in that area near where I think you said your brother lives are horse properties and I've heard it's 50/50 if you hit water when you drill. Quite a few have big tanks and have water hauled in rather than roll dice.

Man that's tough. If you drill 400 feet is water pretty certain? Out in that area near where I think you said your brother lives are horse properties and I've heard it's 50/50 if you hit water when you drill. Quite a few have big tanks and have water hauled in rather than roll dice.
Many wells here are 400-800 ft. There is a huge aquifer below us and hitting water should not be a problem

Last edited:
OK, can he continue to drill your well to 400 feet? If so, that's $10K if I understand correctly. Or what am I missing?

There is some inexpensive mountain (really just a very big hill) land in TN near a small airport. I was considering purchase. By luck, I found out the area had been extensively mined during and after the civil war. Due to the mining, the local aquifer is either gone or massively contaminated, and no amount of drilling gets safe water. Not doing that.

In any case, I wish you the very best in your quest for water!

OK, can he continue to drill your well to 400 feet? If so, that's $10K if I understand correctly. Or what am I missing?

There is some inexpensive mountain (really just a very big hill) land in TN near a small airport. I was considering purchase. By luck, I found out the area had been extensively mined during and after the civil war. Due to the mining, the local aquifer is either gone or massively contaminated, and no amount of drilling gets safe water. Not doing that.

In any case, I wish you the very best in your quest for water!
They can't/ wont go down the existing well. They start new and are saying 400 ft.

Well, that stinks. Is it a regulation that they can’t go deeper in the existing well? That would seem to make the most sense if possible. I wonder why it’s so expensive in CA, is there an expensive permit the well driller pays and passes on to the homeowner?

How big is the water tank at your house?

Back