Not how I wanted to start off the new year.

$50,000 would be enough to pay my water/sewer bill for about 100 years.
Couple that with what ever it costs in CA for a septic system to handle your waste water. Another $50K? None of it really adds value to your home if/when it comes time to sell. They're just necessities. LOL

Does that rig do the casing too? or do you even need casing except for the top? Seems like a pretty decent price for a well that deep though!
I think my neighbors almost 20 years ago were near that price in 250' of sand and gravel. They needed casing and a sand screen at the bottom which added a bit.
Yes, with casing

I currantly am sucking water from my 2500 gallon fire protection tank. A cistern would use rainwater wouldn't it? Rain is something we don't see often. It has not rained to amount to anything in about 3 years.

I used the word cistern generically for the example. Maybe reservoir is a better term. Get a large tank set up on the ground.

Still waiting on a call back from a well guy. So far none have returned my calls.

Been goofing around with it some. If I turn the pump on it will start to push air out the top of the drop pipe. This tells me that the pump is working and the water is coming up the pipe which pushes the air out.

But after a few seconds it stops. No air or water reaches the top.

Is the water in the well so low that the pump is sucking the casing dry?

Is the pump too weak/ worn to be able to push the weight of the water all the way up?

I'm thinking that if the drop pipe was broken then the air would escape long before it got to the top. Or is it broken and the weight of the water opens the crack up and stops the air flow?

I don't hear any splashing like the water is squirting out and falling back down.

What a bummer. $50k for a well in the high desert is insane. I used to live up there. Graduated from AVHS a long time ago. It's hard to believe Sacramento dictates what happens in the middle of the desert with their feel good regulations. Best of luck. I left about 20 years ago.

Still waiting on a call back from a well guy. So far none have returned my calls.

Been goofing around with it some. If I turn the pump on it will start to push air out the top of the drop pipe. This tells me that the pump is working and the water is coming up the pipe which pushes the air out.

But after a few seconds it stops. No air or water reaches the top.

Is the water in the well so low that the pump is sucking the casing dry?

Is the pump too weak/ worn to be able to push the weight of the water all the way up?

Purchase or rent a current clamp and read the current draw. The unit may be overheating See if the current exceeds the manuf rating by 20 percent or more after start.

Desert living is not for the faint of heart. Hopefully a cheap repair is on the horizon.
As I have said before, rural living in CA is for the rich guys. For the average middle class family, the economics of it just don't make it any sense. Upkeep costs (such as this one), property maintenance, added commute expenses, etc., it is a lot of extra expense that doesn't bring any measurable value.

@Chris142 it might just be time for you to give up what you "like." Sorry pal.

As I have said before, rural living in CA is for the rich guys. For the average middle class family, the economics of it just don't make it any sense. Upkeep costs (such as this one), property maintenance, added commute expenses, etc., it is a lot of extra expense that doesn't bring any measurable value.

@Chris142 it might just be time for you to give up what you "like." Sorry pal.
Well you can't sell a house in California without running water.

We went through that a number of years ago when selling our house. The water came back with ecoli contamination. I thought the answer was going to be expensive. The well driller dumped two large jugs of Cascade dishwasher detergent down the casing and we ran the pump on a recirculating setup. After that a long flush. Next test came back clean.

Where did the contamination come from? We will never know. Failed septic? Livestock?
Lots of wells have E Coli for what ever reason.

Well guy came by. Will pull it tomorrow. He thinks that the water table dropped which let the motor get out of the water.

When this happens the motor gets hot, melts the plastic drop pipe and falls off! Will know more tomorrow

Back