Not how I wanted to start off the new year.

Yes, mine is about $600.00 a year. Chris, are you married to that location? Perhaps it’s better to contemplate relocation. What if things get worse? 300 feet is such a reach. Having no water is such a terrible predicament. I’m so sorry you’re going thru this.

Man, that’s rough to have to go down that far for water, in the valleys here you could probably go down 5 feet below your basement and hit water. My grandpa had a little root cellar under his basement steps & floor, basically filled up as a small indoor swimming pool, he took out buckets & watered is garden with it.

How old is the well, and how big is the casing?

Sometimes they can blow it out. Sometimes they can lift the pump and install a screen. There all Band-Aids in the end but what isn't except a new hole I suppose.

Best of luck whatever happens.
Drilled in 1965. 8 inch casing. The drillers won't deepen it for the possibility of getting the drill stuck.

Yes, mine is about $600.00 a year. Chris, are you married to that location? Perhaps it’s better to contemplate relocation. What if things get worse? 300 feet is such a reach. Having no water is such a terrible predicament. I’m so sorry you’re going thru this.
Not really stuck here. I like it here. I can't sell the house here without a working well.

Man, that’s rough to have to go down that far for water, in the valleys here you could probably go down 5 feet below your basement and hit water. My grandpa had a little root cellar under his basement steps & floor, basically filled up as a small indoor swimming pool, he took out buckets & watered is garden with it.
My well is one of the shallower ones. The ones east of me are double that or more. A good friend of mine drilled a well about 5 years ago and went 800.

300 feet for a drilled well isn't that far depending on the area. Its a 57 year old well. At least you know there is water down there. I assume the cost reflects the fact that its hard stone all the way down?

My well is one of the shallower ones. The ones east of me are double that or more. A good friend of mine drilled a well about 5 years ago and went 800.

I am going to guess that any new well drilled might have to go deeper based on your comments about sand in the pump. The aquifer may have dropped.

What about building a cistern and having water delivered on a regular basis? I don’t know if that is feasible but it might be worth thinking about.

Just put in a 350' well for our new house. All solid granite with fracking.
Total cost was about $12,000, water treatment system in the house over and above that.
20211217_112539.jpg

Guess the days of our 20 foot shallow point well are gone.1 1/4" point pounded down, thread up the pump, away you go. Old timers said if the screens clog up, fire a 22 down the pipe to shock it open.
I have of that, however they never considered the lead contamination to the well.

Everyone wants a shallow well but trust me you don’t. Mine is 55 feet and you really worry about intrusion

We went through that a number of years ago when selling our house. The water came back with ecoli contamination. I thought the answer was going to be expensive. The well driller dumped two large jugs of Cascade dishwasher detergent down the casing and we ran the pump on a recirculating setup. After that a long flush. Next test came back clean.

Where did the contamination come from? We will never know. Failed septic? Livestock?

We went through that a number of years ago when selling our house. The water came back with ecoli contamination. I thought the answer was going to be expensive. The well driller dumped two large jugs of Cascade dishwasher detergent down the casing and we ran the pump on a recirculating setup. After that a long flush. Next test came back clean.

Where did the contamination come from? We will never know. Failed septic? Livestock?
Ours can be borderline, ALMOST always neg on E. Coli, but screw it I put a whole house UV system in and sink RO. Frankly we feel and oddly even SLEEP better. We still also have the softener from surface dissolved minerals and sulfur oxidation unit for vegetative mass sulfur smell at the furthest sink (interesting phenomena). Finally the water now tastes like pure mountain water. Unbelievable the previous idiots didn't care for 6 years or so.

And beats chlorine or chloramine city water!

What about building a cistern and having water delivered on a regular basis? I don’t know if that is feasible but it might be worth thinking about.
I currantly am sucking water from my 2500 gallon fire protection tank. A cistern would use rainwater wouldn't it? Rain is something we don't see often. It has not rained to amount to anything in about 3 years.

Just put in a 350' well for our new house. All solid granite with fracking.
Total cost was about $12,000, water treatment system in the house over and above that.
View attachment 133227
Does that rig do the casing too? or do you even need casing except for the top? Seems like a pretty decent price for a well that deep though!
I think my neighbors almost 20 years ago were near that price in 250' of sand and gravel. They needed casing and a sand screen at the bottom which added a bit.

I currantly am sucking water from my 2500 gallon fire protection tank. A cistern would use rainwater wouldn't it? Rain is something we don't see often. It has not rained to amount to anything in about 3 years.
A neighbor ended up with a low producing well at his new place, so they added a 500gal accumulation tank so they could get plenty of peak flow when needed and not pull silt into the well.

Back