Non-DEXOS or manufacturer oil; voided warranties?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to add interest to the conversation, the car the OP mentions, a 2011 Chevrolet Aveo is actually a Daewoo that was rebadged.

Originally Posted by MrGoodwrench
Originally Posted by PimTac
The bigger question is why wouldn't you run a dexos oil? It's a prevalent spec and would be easier to get rather than hunting for a oil without the dexos spec

In my personal experience, I don't hunt for non-DEXOS. I hunt for the lowest possible cost while still meeting spec and doing it properly....

It sounds like you are contradicting yourself as Dexos is a spec.

Dexos is not a scam; as much as I dislike GM, there ARE valid benefits to the thoroughness of the testing required to certify an oil meeting the dexos specs. Meaning, if you DO use dexos-certified oils, even if your engine does not require it, you can rest assured it has actually been tested instead of just having the blender "self-certify" as API allows. And as with everything you look at statistically, there is a bell curve. Some things fail at 5% life (call it 50k miles for this example), and some things fail at 95% life (call it 260k miles). But rest assured, 100% will all fail at some point. What the dexos cert aims to ensure is that the entire bell curve is not affected in a negative way by the oil (as previous tests had identified). And at this point, in both miles traveled and in threads on the same topic, why do you think you're impressing anyone? Outside of warranty, nobody, including the manufacturer, gives a flying flip what oil you use in your engine.

One would think your unceremonious entry onto this board would have made you rethink your approach before a second pass. [ignore]

Originally Posted by Mr_Jay
Originally Posted by BigCahuna
The bigger question is why wouldn't you run a dexos oil? It's a prevalent spec and would be easier to get rather than hunting for a oil without the dexos spec

There's nothing "Special" about oil that carries the dexos label. Did you know, that even if you use GM's Dexos oil, they can and will deny a claim for excessive oil consumption?. Like the op said , it's a scam to get oil purchasers to use anyone's oil with Dexos on the label. If you don't believe us, call Blackstone and ask them whats so special about GM's oil.,,,

Thanks, I just wanted to add one more real story to the mix so people can draw from. I just think what we're being told and what the reality is are two different things. And here in Canada I have been told by a consumer lawyer who is a family friend that we have legal procedures that force dealers to honour warranties without these manufacturer labels. I assume the law is much the same in the US. Dealers and manufacturers may threaten, or may initially deny service on warranty, but when you get a lawyers' office to phone the dealer, typically they cave instantly because they know they have no way to legally deny the claim. 99% of the time you don't actually have to file a claim in court to get them to honor warranties. I have never had to do this, but this particular consumer lawyer friend of mine has handled multiple cases regarding warranty denials.

The more people that get this info, the better.

That's not the way it works, a dealer isn't going to cave to the lawyer, the dealer isn't even the one denying the warranty, it's the manufacturer. And good luck with "Jimmy I barely passed law school", going against GM, who can roll out 50 of their own lawyers from Harvard and bury you and your guy. You'll be shelling more money to your lawyer in legal fees, than it ever would cost to just fix your car...and GM knows this. They deny warranties every single day. They don't care one bit. They don't care about your lawyer, or losing you as a customer. For some reason people keep going back. Heck, it took 10 years and a half million people in a class action suite to get GM to pony up for their Dex Cool fiasco. They don't care about customer service even, lawyers, bad reputations, poor quality. Nothing. You will get nothing from them unless they want to give it to you, and they'll only give it to you if there is a legitimate reason to. Heck, good luck even getting them to warranty any engine issue without receipts of oil changes or service records.

I will use my oil choice. 5k vs 10k.
22.00 x 20 =440
28.00 x 10= 280
So between conventional and Synthetic as you can see Synthetic is cheaper in the long run if you run OLM out to 10k with Synthetic being Dexos.

There's nothing "Special" about oil that carries the dexos label. Did you know, that even if you use GM's Dexos oil, they can and will deny a claim for excessive oil consumption?. Like the op said , it's a scam to get oil purchasers to use anyone's oil with Dexos on the label. If you don't believe us, call Blackstone and ask them whats so special about GM's oil.,,,

There may not anything "special" but it does have specs slightly different than other oils. I'm not posting it again-but we have all see the "comparison circle" and where the specs fall with Dexos verses non-Dexos oil.

Threads like this are a waste of time when Walmart's Supertech carries the Dexos spec. If you can't afford the Supertech oil-maybe you should find other modes of transportation.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tiger862
I will use my oil choice. 5k vs 10k.
22.00 x 20 =440
28.00 x 10= 280
So between conventional and Synthetic as you can see Synthetic is cheaper in the long run if you run OLM out to 10k with Synthetic being Dexos.

I am not checking your math - but you're not accounting for the fuel economy gain with most synthetic oil.

Originally Posted by kschachn
How do you get a fuel economy gain with synthetic oil?

I think the difference in modern oils is mute but in days of old, I always got better mpg with synthetics.

Only psychologically. Viscosity is viscosity. No matter what the marketing says.

Dexos oil is far superior . All of you people that drive Ford, Chrysler, Asian
are benifiting from using a synthetic Dexos oil. You all should be thanking
GM for it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by nascarnation

Only psychologically. Viscosity is viscosity. No matter what the marketing says.

At all temperature ranges? Cold start to operating temperature?

Originally Posted by 2KBMW
GM for it.

Agree. None of my vehicles require Dexos (or even SN) but they like the Dexos (I asked them!).

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
Originally Posted by 2KBMW
GM for it.

Agree. None of my vehicles require Dexos (or even SN) but they like the Dexos (I asked them!).

laugh.gif

NL7W

Originally Posted by Mr_Jay

Thanks, I just wanted to add one more real story to the mix so people can draw from. I just think what we're being told and what the reality is are two different things. And here in Canada I have been told by a consumer lawyer who is a family friend that we have legal procedures that force dealers to honour warranties without these manufacturer labels. I assume the law is much the same in the US. Dealers and manufacturers may threaten, or may initially deny service on warranty, but when you get a lawyers' office to phone the dealer, typically they cave instantly because they know they have no way to legally deny the claim. 99% of the time you don't actually have to file a claim in court to get them to honor warranties. I have never had to do this, but this particular consumer lawyer friend of mine has handled multiple cases regarding warranty denials.

The more people that get this info, the better.
I understand the warranty law here in the US pretty well. And if Canada is something similar, I can assure you that your attorney friend is not telling you all the truth. Yes, it is true that manufacturers cannot make you use just there stuff, unless they give the service for free. However, it just does not mean you can do whatever you want either. Manufacturers can set a set of standards for a product that has to be used, for the warranty to be honored. DEXOS is not a manufacturer's brand. Its a spec. Any lubricant company can choose to make a products to meet those specs. Yes, DEXOS is a fairly high standard that lubricant companies couldn't get there conventional oil to meet. That why you couldn't find your cheapest oil with the spec. GM can void your warrenty if a non DEXOS oil wasn't used, over an oil related engine failure. Now if its your radio, no they couldn't. Yes, dealer do try to pull the wool over customers eyes, and thats why customers need to be informed and educated.

However, you have done nothing much in informing consumers. All your proof statement is nothing more than what most people already knew. Just go back and tell your attorney friend to study the issue more so he/she can give better advice to there customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back