no GC at autozone...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

I'm afraid that some of you guys with the massive stocks of GC may be disappointed in the future. Oil is always improving and, with the Gas to Liquid technology coming on board, prices of great oils may even drop somewhat due to the lower cost of GTL base oils.

I have to agree, more than a year or two stock is kind of extreme, as oil standards keep raising and improving...

I'm not 100% convinced that oils will always continue to improve in all areas. I think it depends on what standards are put into place that thay need to meet. It seems lately that lower fuel consumption is one of those standards and reduced wear sometimes takes a back seat.
Low wear and high temp/shear stability are what I primarily care about and some of the newer oils seem to have taken a step backward in that regard. I admit that I could be wrong about that, but it sure seems that way.

I picked up 3 quarts of M06 to even out my stash to 30qt - 27 green and 3 gold. Enough for 3 BMW changes and 1 Camaro change - should get me through at least a year.

My normal AutoZone was out of 0-30, save for 2 old bottles of the American made stuff. I tried another AZ nearby that has a much better oil selection and they had plenty of M06 GC. I asked at the store and they said they weren't aware of any plans to stop carrying it.

TTopJohn:

Would you please do me a favor? Would you go back to that autozone, and ask them to check the status of GC in their computer? And specifically ask them if it is on "SELL THROUGH"?

i am 15 different kinds of angry. i just learned about the awesomeness of GC, and all the stores in my area are on Sell Through for GC. I wanted to buy at least 60 quarts during this $4.49 sale, but I just can't find any more to buy.

I thought I would resurrect this thread. I was at Autozone in Margate, FL Saturday and noticed German/green Castrol on the shelf.

Are they getting new stock or is this old stuff? Hmmm. I'm currently using it in my 2004 Acura TL 3.2

I'll see if I can get back by there this week, can probably to it Sat morning - I would like to get to the bottom of this too - whether it's "Sell Through" everywhere, or just regionally, or just at individual stores(since there are store to store differences in what oils they carry - the one that had the old American 0w30 has never carried 5w40 Syntec for example) and what "Sell Through" means.

from what I saw on the computer when they did a lookup for me of local stores that carried it, quite a few stores had stock of it. Whether it was all GC or USA stuff is hard to tell without having them order it in. I had them order in 12 quarts from the Misuwaka(sp) store in Indiana, and 10 of those 12 quarts were GC. A few other stores their lookup did not list (that I know from having people check) have decent stocks of it. I just told the guy who brought them I wanted these 10 quarts, and I was good to go.

I myself will prolly stock up to another 12 quarts. 6 of those will give me my 5th purchase on my rewards card, and the remaining 6 will get the $20 discount
smile.gif

I would bet you could order cases with the SKU #. From checking at the store, the SKU # for a case is the exact same as the individual bottles except one of the 0s on the second portion is replaced with a 6 to indicate a case IIRC

so instead of 79191 00068 a case would be 79191 06068 if indeed it works that way. I'll have to see if they can order it that way.

Confirmed... AZ is discontinuing GC. I found 4 quarts last night in a Saint Louis store. I guess it is back to the hunt for more before the supply goes dry.

beanoil what proof do you have that AZ is discontinuing it. Just because your local AZ might not carry it and your local manager says he won't be selling it anymore, doens't mean all stores will be doing so.

Just a quick note on the AZ rewards card. Their computers are set up such that you can only get credit for one purchase >$20 within an hour. By doing that, you can't walk up to the counter with 15 quarts, pay for 5 quarts at a time and get three separate credits. In order to get 3 credits, they need to be made at least an hour apart.

^^ They must not like you. I make all my purchases (unless Im lazy) @ $20 intervals at Autozone. I've made the purchases, not more than 1 minute apart and I was given the credit..

Just was at the Richton Park, IL AutoZone and they had 6 quarts left....the guy looked it up, and it was indeed labeled Sell Through in the computer. Asked him what that meant and he said once AutoZone was out of it, that's it, no more.
frown.gif

Chuck

Checked at my AZ today. had them bring in 12 quarts from the elkhart(sp) IN store. I asked them about sell-through, and when they checked, it isn't indicated on the 0w30. Must be a regional thing.

Quote:

That whole company makes me want to beat my head against the wall sometimes.

I had a 9 month old Duralast battery that failed... Autozone tried so many different ways to tell me that there was no warranty, that I lost all respect for this company.

And the attitude of the employees in the selling store was really poor. Of course this store was in a bad section of town, so that may have been part of he problem.

I did get a refund after calling the manager and a couple of weeks of hassle.

I scored 10 more quarts of GC from AZ today. They brought it in from the Elkhart(sp) IN store. 2 of the quarts were the US 0w30. Other 9 quarts were M06, and 1 quart was M04 stuff. The m04 is the only green quart I have. Closest was an m05 bottle but it's after the switch. They weren't kidding when they said Green German Castrol
smile.gif
. I now have 39 quarts
smile.gif

And they changed their policy about using their reward card is such close proximity. Purchases can't me made within seconds of each other
frown.gif

Matt

Last edited:
Went to the local AZ to see if it was true. Sadly, in my area (NoVa) all of the AZs have GC listed "Sell Through". Manager confirmed that once its gone, its gone. Asked about ordering and he said they wouldn't be able to do that once its "dead". Oh well, still have 196 qts. of green. But for some reason I was compelled to buy out the remaining 23 qts. of Gold in the area
grin.gif

I tapped out 5 AZ stores in NE Atlanta suburbs today. One store was already dry but I was able to collect 24 quarts from the other four.

All were M05 or M06 (mostly M06) and all were bought at $4.49/qt.

Keep searching, folks. One store had only 2 qts and another 4. I hit the biggest jackpot with one store having 16 qts on the shelf. The bigger scores are out there still, waiting to be tapped.

Quote:

Keep driving south my friend. I cleaned out the AutoZone in Everett (on Broadway)of all 15 bottles they had, including 6 GREEN! Then drove to the Everett store on Evergreen Way and picked up 10 more (all gold)...I even left about 6 or 8 for you!
wink.gif

I have about 34 bottles so enough for at least four oil changes...

sweet, i was just at the evergreen (everett) store and picked up their last 3. since i dont live near any AZ, i just made a day of it and went to almost every AZ from arlington to federal way, except for 2 that i knew had none. at the end of my hunt i ended up with 34 qts. all gold (mostly M06, but a few dusty M05, no green and no usa stuff). i figure 4.49/qt just cant be beat, so why not stock up.

by the way if anyone in seattle is looking for GC, im pretty sure federal way AZ had 2 cases hidden somewhere. the computer said the store had 17 but i only found 5 on the shelf and the very helpfull salespeople didnt seem to want to be bothered to look.
smirk.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back