no GC at autozone...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, sad but true- for whatever reason, AZ appears to be DC'ing GC.

Went to the nearest AZ down in Mount Vernon, WA this afternoon and they had only four bottles of GC left- period. The manager was taking inventory so he zapped my bottle and he pointed to and mentioned that when the word "sellthrough" comes up it means adios.

WHAT GIVES? I mean, AZ was the ONLY place in the United States of America that I know of where this oil could be purchased off-the-shelf. IMO it was what set the AutoZone stores apart from their competition.

AAAARRRGGGHHH!!!

"Sellthrough" That's the word that the managers at all 3 of the Autozone's that I visit use to describe the status of GC. They are not putting it on clearance, but just letting it sell out at whatever their other Castrol Syntec is selling for at the time. In other words, they acknowledge that it is not really a "dead" item but just one with sales slow enough not to warrant stocking it any longer. Life will go on. Many will switch to or return to 0W-40 Mobil 1 or go to some of the expensive European oils. It is sad that most oil purchasers do not understand oil. If they did, they would realize that GC and other 0W-30 and 0W-40 synthetics are fine for most American driving conditions.

Where are you guys finding the rebates for the castrol Syntec oil that I've seen mentioned before? I wouldn't mind getting rebates.
smile.gif

At Autozone, they don't have rebates but they do have the "rewards" card that gives you a $20 credit for every 5th purchase of $20 or more. Better than a rebate because there is nothing to fill out and send in.

Went to two more Autozones in a neighboring State and neither of them had any GC. Strangely they did have quite a few bottles of the old non-German 0w-30 with the 01 date code.

Has anyone actually ordered GC through NAPA?

Quote:

I just picked up 3 cases of GC gold at Autozone. I asked the manager to order the cases and had no problem.

Did you have to show him a bottle of GC in order for him to know what to order?

^^ did he order it or have it shipped from other stores that had supply? my friend at AZ is having 12 bottles shipped to me from another (1hr away) az. Being that the US and German stuff have the same barcode, he will let me check the bottles before buying them.

I told him I didnt want to sound like a crazy person, but I was looking for the specific european formula as it's different compared to the old dusty Stuff, and mentioned the date code
smile.gif

Anyone have the barcode off the case of oil itself? I wouldn't think it would be the same on the case as the bottle. Might be easier to order a case at a time, since I would have to assume there would be more open bottles of US stuff then there would cases?

Last edited:
Quote:

Yep, sad but true- for whatever reason, AZ appears to be DC'ing GC.

Went to the nearest AZ down in Mount Vernon, WA this afternoon and they had only four bottles of GC left- period. The manager was taking inventory so he zapped my bottle and he pointed to and mentioned that when the word "sellthrough" comes up it means adios.

WHAT GIVES? I mean, AZ was the ONLY place in the United States of America that I know of where this oil could be purchased off-the-shelf. IMO it was what set the AutoZone stores apart from their competition.

AAAARRRGGGHHH!!!

Keep driving south my friend. I cleaned out the AutoZone in Everett (on Broadway)of all 15 bottles they had, including 6 GREEN! Then drove to the Everett store on Evergreen Way and picked up 10 more (all gold)...I even left about 6 or 8 for you!
wink.gif

I have about 34 bottles so enough for at least four oil changes...

I have 19 quarts IIRC> but when it's 1.70 off + autozone reward card, I'll try and stock up.. I'm going to toledo OH tomorrow to the Zoo. I've printed maps off for local AZs near the zoo. Better get your GC if you live close, cause if I find it, Im buying it
smile.gif

y'all bringin back fond memories of when I was on the GC hunt. Even with a 145 qt GC Green stash, I still get the urge to pull into AZ stores when I'm traveling out of town and pass an AZ I've never seen before.
crazy.gif

I'm afraid that some of you guys with the massive stocks of GC may be disappointed in the future. Oil is always improving and, with the Gas to Liquid technology coming on board, prices of great oils may even drop somewhat due to the lower cost of GTL base oils.

Quote:

y'all bringin back fond memories of when I was on the GC hunt. Even with a 145 qt GC Green stash, I still get the urge to pull into AZ stores when I'm traveling out of town and pass an AZ I've never seen before.
crazy.gif

I can relate! Every time I see a new AZ sign I'm tempted to pull in a check out the stash!

so Thatwouldbegreat what is the SKU (barcode) or whatever you want to call it off the case of 0w30? Im interested to see if it's different (has to be)

I bought 10 qts of GC today. It was all M06 with European Formula written on the front.

It cost me a hair over 50 bucks. I think I'm up over 30 qts of GC now.

Quote:

so Thatwouldbegreat what is the SKU (barcode) or whatever you want to call it off the case of 0w30? Im interested to see if it's different (has to be)

I'll have to check when I stop at the garage. These cases of GC were for a friend's garage..I still have plenty of Green GC at home.

I just switched one of our 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i's from Green GC 0W-30 to Elf Excellium Full Tech 0W-30...so I'll see how that performs over 10K.

I like GC but I'm not convinced ot is the be all and end all oil some people think it is. I still like Redline, and I keep hoping that newer oils will raise the bar higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back