Nissan threatens to move Its prized Rogue production from TN

As far as cars? Well, Japanese built cars are still well made. Better than everything else? Depends. But they do meet a high standard.

Never said they didn’t, but it’s clear people automatically assume if a car is assembled there it will be higher quality. People claimed it in this very thread.

Somehow you didn’t feel compelled to correct their generalizations.

Except that the workers at that plant are non-union. So... explain to me how the UAW is involved? Or is this just a knee-jerk, anti-union thing?

When VW choose TN over AL, they suggested to TN some form of unionization, and TN almost tanked a deal.
They could get anything, but anyone representing workers rights? No way.

Right now, Nissan is only utilizing something like 52% of total capacity at their Smyrna ..... plants which is disastrous,
+2

Nissan sold twice as many Rogues in 2018 as in 2022, and 2023 was only a little better.

Is that the only vehicle they build at Smyrna?

+2

Nissan sold twice as many Rogues in 2018 as in 2022, and 2023 was only a little better.

Is that the only vehicle they build at Smyrna?
all nissan midsize crossovers i think are built there for the most part; in addition to the leaf.

When VW choose TN over AL, they suggested to TN some form of unionization, and TN almost tanked a deal.
They could get anything, but anyone representing workers rights? No way.
I always find it stunning that working folk will shun pay and benefit advancement due to some strange indoctrination process of being born/raised in the South. I really don't understand it.

I always find it stunning that working folk will shun pay and benefit advancement due to some strange indoctrination process of being born/raised in the South. I really don't understand it.
Well, robots now have a right to work in South Carolina. True right-to-work state.

Well, robots now have a right to work in South Carolina. True right-to-work state.
Some decades ago as a portion of my duties I was tasked with electrically maintaining robots that painted info on huge rolls of aluminum. They would bring in tech reps to do any software revisions. We used G.E. Series 6 plc's for the program execution. The program documentation was in manuals about a foot thick. I hated those robots with a passion. I wasn't in a right to work state, Washington, and those robots spent a lot of time not working. LOL

Not surprising. Nissan always has low balled suppliers. Once a contract is awarded, and launch of the NMY, six months like clockwork, Nissan reps will show up to cut their cost.... Sometimes it is removing a paint process on a plastic part and leave it bare, but they keep coming to the point the supplier is ´at cost´ and can´t recoup the R&D of the product.

Nobody likes Nissan, and nobody has the majority of their contracts with Nissan, cause that would sink your company.

Right now, Nissan is only utilizing something like 52% of total capacity at their Smyrna and Canton plants which is disastrous, so it would be way better for Nissan to shut down at least one of their plants.

That's the reason why Tesla keeps doing price reductions instead of reducing or even halting pro

Everyone already knows that Nissan's product line aren't competitive and that Ghosn's cost cutting had seriously hampered Nissan's ability to compete I guess Nissan has no Mexico plants. Not great foresight, considering.
The Sentra and Versa are made in Mexico.

Nissan issued an ultimatum to its suppliers; Cut pricing by 20% or we are moving production out to Japan.
Rogue is produced at their Smyrna Tn plant, and makes up about 40% production volume from the plant.

Has nissan lost their mind or are they now cutting the proverbial fat?
Tesla is just as bad. Some on here works for a parts supplier and said that Tesla is just as bad. Not sure how Japanese production is going to fix the parts issue

Japan has jumped the shark in manufacturing quite some time ago. People seeking out made in Japan stuff as some sort of holy grail of built quality are living in the past.
This. When I worked at a Lexus dealership there were the occasional people that would come in and want a Japanese built RX vs Ontario. I've parked them side by side and there was no difference either exterior or interior on quality.

The quality of my 2019 Nissan Rogue is FAR above the quality of the 2017 F150 I just started driving as a company vehicle. I forgot how bad Ford became until I started driving that truck after a 4 year hiatus in having an F150 company truck. I’ve already had to cover the brake booster vacuum nipple to stop the check valve from fully releasing the hubs after using 4x4 in the 1000 miles I’ve put on it. It has 83,600 to date.

I hope they can keep the plant open, but still produce a product I can afford, which is why I have a Nissan in the first place. Good quality and decent price. I’m on my 3rd and there is another one in our family. We’ve yet to need a transmission either…..

Bluff,

running and paid for factory with billions in robots / equipment useless for anything else. They’ll stay
Unlikely a hollow bluff. They have twice the factory capacity of current sales.

When Ghosn was in charge, he pushed for massive sales growth. Like I said, he built production capacity for 7M cars globally. I think the most they ever did was 5M. They did slightly over 3M in 2023. They have way too many factories.

The original Smyrna factory was built here to build the Datsun pickup and get around the Chicken tax, which is a non issue for the Rogue - no chicken tax on cars. They also have the Canton MS plant which builds the Frontier and Altima, and there investing in it to build EV's - which I wonder is a mistake but I guess you have to do it these days.

They also build the same platform in Japan, where sales are also down and they likely also have capacity. They likely have higher incentive to keep a Japanese factory full than a US factory.

Either way they likely either need to start selling a lot more cars here, or they have one too many plants. So this might be a test to figure out if they stay with both here or not. I wouldn't count on it being a bluff.

I'm likely missing something, but this seems odd.

I know Nissan takes a beating anywhere you go, but have you guys shopped them in the past 3-4yrs? I don't know of a dealer that can keep Rogues, Pathfinders, Sentras or Versas in stock. They're gone before they take up space in a dealer lot.

What is this process ? I missed the memo ?
I think it is pretty well documented that union sentiment on opposite sides of the Mason-Dixon line are two different animals. I will stop there as I prefer not to devolve this post any further. I initially posted because a person incorrectly blamed the union in the Nissan plant(s) in question. The plants in question don't enjoy union affiliation.

Back