Nissan threatens to move Its prized Rogue production from TN

This is no different than any other manufacturer - car or otherwise. Prices are expected to fall every year. My guess is supply chain issues have caused material costs to rise without much push back the last couple years.

When Ghosn was in charge he had this vision Nissan would sell 7M cars globally, and built the production capacity to do it. They never got close. They have already shut down some in other countries. So it would make sense for them to use whichever factory is cheaper, here or Japan. I certainly don't want to see them leave TN, but they need to right-size or they will likely go under. Hopefully the local suppliers can make it work.

OK, so move back home. How much will that cost? Now you're there. Build the cars / trucks. How much to ship them overseas back to the USA??? How much to store all the vehicles that you ship before they get to the dealers??? I'll bet all this just ate that 20% up pretty good.

OK, so move back home. How much will that cost? Now you're there. Build the cars / trucks. How much to ship them overseas back to the USA??? How much to store all the vehicles that you ship before they get to the dealers??? I'll bet all this just ate that 20% up pretty good.
Move production - not the plant. Nissan sells the X-trail in Japan and other Asian Markets - which is the same platform as the Rogue. So if they have capacity in Japan, they likely already have a line to build that vehicle on.

There certainly is an ROI on shipping, but it doesn't cost as much to ship a car as you think. Also very likely most of their suppliers here are the very same companies that supply in Japan - so they may be equally happy to consolidate production if they have capacity.

Making money in manufacturing is 100% about keeping your factory full. If you do, the rest is much easier.

Anyone and their brother have used every excuse in the book to raise prices, while not adding value. It’s been really bad these last few years. Anyone who can take advantage, has. Nothing wrong with trimming the fat.

And if the suppliers don’t want to, and Nissan can make the cars back in Japan, then they can vote with their wallets just like any one of us. And as much as I’d hate to see American jobs going away, everyone needs to be competitive…

I wonder if they are moving around capacity to finally build their evs in america. Everyone is moving production stateside of evs to get in on the ev credit requirements.

The other big vehicle that could pick up the slack, is the upcoming heavily refreshed qx80. Land cruiser like vehicles are on the menu these days.

I wonder if they are moving around capacity to finally build their evs in america. Everyone is moving production stateside of evs to get in on the ev credit requirements.

The other big vehicle that could pick up the slack, is the upcoming heavily refreshed qx80. Land cruiser like vehicles are on the menu these days.
I love the new Armada / QX80, the whole infiniti branding is a idea that never worked and is foolish. Nissan sold all of 60,000 Infiti's all last year. There wasting there marketing dollars trying to represent two brands. There not Toyota/Lexus. There is no Infiniti in Japan, its a Nissan Skyline, not a Infiniti Q50 or whatever. Sunset infiniti. Roll the lines together. Promote as one brand.

Who on earth came up with this meaningless Q handle car naming anyway.

That QX80 (friends wife got one) never turned my head going by - unless you count the other way 😵‍💫

Yeah! That dastardly UAW and its business killing wages/benefits is gonna send datsun home to Nippon! LOL
Except that the workers at that plant are non-union. So... explain to me how the UAW is involved? Or is this just a knee-jerk, anti-union thing?

Nissan has an unfortunately long track record of playing hardball to get what they want
Let's not forget when they first came to U.S manufacturing

Ironic considering the cold shoulder/indifference they gave Mr.K when they send him here to fail

Except that the workers at that plant are non-union. So... explain to me how the UAW is involved? Or is this just a knee-jerk, anti-union thing?

I am almost certain that sloinker was just joking around. Not being serious at all.

Sorry, I was being facetious about another post that blamed unions on Nissan's motivations.

Nissan issued an ultimatum to its suppliers; Cut pricing by 20% or we are moving production out to Japan.
Rogue is produced at their Smyrna Tn plant, and makes up about 40% production volume from the plant.

Has nissan lost their mind or are they now cutting the proverbial fat?
Personally I'd take pretty much anything made in Japan compared to here in the states or most any other location.

Personally I'd take pretty much anything made in Japan compared to here in the states or most any other location.
I have an Xterra and a Frontier that came out of the Smyrna TN plant in question - Frontier production has since been moved. Build quality on both was excellent - other than the white paint which has had a couple issues and is apparently a problem for many manufacturers.

I also have a Toyota that was made in Japan, and I don't think build quality is any better, although I am happy with it also.

Japan has jumped the shark in manufacturing quite some time ago. People seeking out made in Japan stuff as some sort of holy grail of built quality are living in the past.
As in most things - generalizations are inaccurate.

Some of my tools are made in Japan, some in the US, and some in Germany, and while some of those Japanese tools, like Ko-Ken are the equal of the rest, the Nepros tools are made to a far higher standard than even the best German tools.

As far as cars? Well, Japanese built cars are still well made. Better than everything else? Depends. But they do meet a high standard.

Back