Nissan frontier base model

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for some input on the Nissan frontier s. It's there base model truck. 2.5 4cyl and undecided on transmission choice. Reason for asking is right now I have a 1998 frontier. 2.4 l and auto transmission. Fantastic truck! This older truck will go to my son soon and will be looking to replace it with another frontier I believe. The truck is really only used for errands and such and light towing . How do these newer frontiers compare to the older one I have now dependabily wise?

The EPA rated gas mileage and power is a joke compared to other modern trucks. Some full size trucks with a V8 match the highway number of the 4 cylinder.
You would be blown away if you drove a Ram 1500 V6 for a week.
The older generation Frontiers were better in terms of reliability and owner satisfaction.

V6 Ram with 9 or 10 speed automatic... is nice. However Ram's, it would appear, have a rust issue (from what I can see). Unfortunate.

I like the suspension arrangement on the Ram... I think the rear axle has coil springs and a Watts linkage (or at least a Panhard Rod). Very well located rear axle. Mebe not so much a truck rear suspension, but a nice ride I would wager.

Pentastar V6 is pretty good. Mebe not a truck engine, per se - like the V6 GM - but combined with the 9 or 10 speed A/T - quite a package.

Last edited:
Honestly I wouldn't get the 2.5 Frontier. I would get a lightly used 4.0 if I were you. Fuel economy wouldn't be too much different. By which I mean not great. The 4.0 is pretty bullet proof and old as dirt. Just my 2 cents.

Despite what I said, I do understand and like the size of the Frontier. I just don't like the 4 cylinder version of it.

All the comments about the Frontier not being a new design....are true; however it is a proven platform, and is extremely durable and reliable. I would not hesitate to get another one for yourself, and if I fit, I might get one myself. The four cylinder I don't know much about, but I do know that the V-6 is super reliable for the long haul. Can't go wrong with a manual transmission either… Depending on where you drive of course.

It is my belief that newer trucks, while mechanically reliable like the old trucks, are thinner or lighter everywhere else in order to meet EPA mileage requirements.

So you won't be stranded in a new truck, but whether the overall package will actually last and hold up against wear and tear.. meh. If anything, engineers have gotten even better at making things designed to last a certain amount of time and then fail. Why build something to last 12 years when you now can make it last almost exactly 10?

It would be interesting if one could find the various thicknesses of various panels, glass, and paint on older vehicles versus new ones. I bet a lot of numbers have shrank.

value wise a frontier is prolly a BEST but in whatever configuration you like! i bought a lo mile 2011 SV + overpaid but i love the truck + average 19 mpg after changing all lubes to redline + 75-90 in the dana rear. pickups are grossly overpriced especially 4 wd, simple is better with low upkeep + NO DI issues!! even the king cab my choice is roomy unlike other midsized trucks

Last edited:
I wouldn't expect any big difference between your 1998 and a late model 4cyl powered Frontier pickup if you can find one. They use the same 5spd automatic that the 4.0L 4x4s use, so it's a weezer of an engine bolted to a robust automatic.

You are familiar with them and know what you're getting into. I don't really see much advantage other than it one happens to be a screaming deal over a 4.0L powered Frontier.

Last edited:
Yes, there are better choice. But I betcha they are quite a bit more money to purchase. My brother brought a new frontier last year, he loves it!

The resale value on Frontier's is pretty good. Sort of like Toyota, it almost makes more sense in many instances to buy new. I just purchased a 2019 Pro-4X with the 4.0L. I love it for what it is. I drove all the new trucks and preferred the Frontier. I don't know much about the 4cyl version, but I know the 4.0L has been the JD Powers IQS winner the last 4 years. It's an older drivetrain but proven. Lot of torque available at all RPMs. Don't get me wrong, the new trucks are great in many ways but the current Frontier is really liked by those that want a reliable, rugged truck without a lot of the new technology. I had no intention on buying one. I wanted a Tacoma until I drove it. Are you looking for new or used? The SV model is nice.

I do like the Ram. Someone on here bought a new Ram for $32k. Great buy and value. I paid $31k, but have the off-road package.

I'd get a current gen base model V6 before they come out with the new one and ruin it with a 20 speed transmission and cylinder deactivation.
lol.gif
Look at what they did to the Pathfinder.

Originally Posted by buster
I do like the Ram. Someone on here bought a new Ram for $32k. Great buy and value. I paid $31k, but have the off-road package.
Rams are routinely 25% off MSRP around here in Toronto, that's why you see so many of them on the road. My friend bought a brand new 2017 I think for $37k CAD IIRC. It's a work truck trim level crew cab with chrome bumpers and wheels, but he still got the 5.7 and I assume six speed automatic.

I hate Rams, but they are a much better value than a Frontier if bought on sale.

I also had a 1998 Frontier and it was a great truck. Gave it to my son who's still driving it. But Nissan ain't what it used to be. Not since Renault bought them.

Nissan Frontiers are pretty much everywhere out here. They seem to be the truck of choice for landscapers and pool services pros so they must be doing something right. I rented a 6 cyl SV for a week and thought it was fine. I think I would prefer the 6 cyl with automatic, like the one I rented. Sorta opens up your towing options and makes freeway merging a little less stressful. YMMV.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Originally Posted by buster
Rams are routinely 25% off MSRP around here in Toronto, that's why you see so many of them on the road. My friend bought a brand new 2017 I think for $37k CAD IIRC. It's a work truck trim level crew cab with chrome bumpers and wheels, but he still got the 5.7 and I assume six speed automatic.

I hate Rams, but they are a much better value than a Frontier if bought on sale.

I like the Ram. The value to me is in the Pro-4x model. Stock off-roader is pretty capable for $31k - (rear locker). Comparable Tacoma/Colorado are $5-$8k more. The Tacoma will hold its value the best though.

Originally Posted by JunkdrawerDog
Nissan Frontiers are pretty much everywhere out here. They seem to be the truck of choice for landscapers and pool services pros so they must be doing something right. I rented a 6 cyl SV for a week and thought it was fine. I think I would prefer the 6 cyl with automatic, like the one I rented. Sorta opens up your towing options and makes freeway merging a little less stressful. YMMV.

They stuck with what works. Sales were up this year too.

I assume you are talking about extended cab models? I'd take a hard look at a Tacoma 2.7 for a whole lot of reasons. Or just a full size if that small size isn't super important to you. I never care that my 6.2 Sierra uses more gas than a 4 cylinder truck. I hit the gas on that big engine and can only smile.

Originally Posted by dareo
I assume you are talking about extended cab models?

Later generation Frontiers only come in king or crew cab models. Thing is, a clean late model 4cyl, 2wd model is 'only' a few thousand dollars away from a V6, 4x4, crew cab model. To me, they just don't make sense today. Years ago they did when you could buy a brand new 4-banger 2wd Ranger or S10 for $12K.

Example: https://www.carvana.com/vehicle/1289038

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back