CrossTrek Wilderness or base Outback?

So I'm been shopping for a new vehicle. I am looking for a capable hatch. Right now, I am driving a Nissan Versa Note, and it is killing me that I cannot tow anything.

I'm looking for something that can tow 3,500lbs, I originally passed on the CrossTrek(1,500lb max) and was looking at the Ford Escapes(3500 with the awd version) I looked at the Honda offerings, and I had convinced myself that a 2024 Subaru Outback base model has enough comforts and it can tow.

Now they are releasing the CrossTrek Wilderness, with 3500 towing, lower gearing, crawl gear and better AWD X-modes.

I like a small hatch with capable towing, I think it is better to tow a trailer rather than dump that money into a pickup truck.

Thoughts?

My beef with Subaru is base and premium models are all close in price and the Outback seems like the best deal in base or premium. Plus the mpg in the Outback is stellar too.

For a daily and fun on&off the pavement I'd grab the CrossTrek.
For a daily that does tow occasionally - Outback. Should be more stable, and roomier.
OR....this...
speeding-caravan.gif

This was my solution…
View attachment 149149
There we go! Afterall - Holden Utes tow all over Australia without issues. In Europe little 1.0L-1.5L Diesel powered hatchbacks out-tow most of what is being towed around the USA with a F-150 and random BroDozers lol. Towing with normal size cars should be normalized. Heck, even 660cc Kei cars tow around Japan, and they got plenty of hills to play with. Need VS Want.
I'm getting carried away here... I guess the point is - @Vern_in_IL buy whichever you like more, they'll both tow your stuff. I'd change the CVT fluid every 30k miles.

Last edited:
op,
Some Subarus used to burn oil. Not sure which hatchback. Friend of mine had a new one (not outback) few years ago and traded it after they gave him a new engine but still was burning oil.
Do they all have the same engine? Something with faulty rings ...
I would make sure they've resolved the issues.

It’s always amazing to me how some brands’ faults turn into internet legends even when they’re fairly rare, yet other brands somehow manage to have their problems memory-holed even though the number of affected vehicles was exponentially higher.

It’s even more of a kick in the junk when the former has a higher overall reliability and resale value than the latter.

4 used and 2 new Subarus in over the past 18 years, regardless of all the overblown problems that keyboard warriors parrot blindly on the internet, the most expensive thing I’ve ever had to replace/repair on these vehicles was CV axles, and only on ones on the far side of 175k. Both the 2009 Forester and 2018 Forester never had anything more than brakes, lightbulbs, and fluids changed. My ‘01 Forester, ‘08 Tribeca, and ‘07 Impreza have gone well past the 175k mark with nothing major; the ‘05 Outback finally needed a center driveshaft bearing at 18 years old; $450 for a complete DS and an afternoon on ramps.

But yes, OP, drive them both before deciding. Definitely different driving experiences and vehicle classes!

As everyone said, drive them all. However, regardless of a brand, I wouldn't max out towing rates with a CVT trans, no matter how robust Subaru's CVTs are. If you are planning to pull 3500 lbs, you should have a car with 5000 lbs towing rate IMO, especially if it's a CVT.

Also, base engine Outback is painfully slow even without towing anything. If I have to pick one from your list, I'd get the Crosstrek with the bigger engine. Behind the wheel, the differences are minimal, they all have (new ones) the same dashboard design and common parts. The biggest difference is in the back.

I'm sure you can find something better if you prioritize towing. If you just want a Subaru and nothing else, the Ascent has 5000 lbs towing and a much better turbo engine, at least that'll give you the safety gap.

It’s always amazing to me how some brands’ faults turn into internet legends even when they’re fairly rare, yet other brands somehow manage to have their problems memory-holed even though the number of affected vehicles was exponentially higher.

It’s even more of a kick in the junk when the former has a higher overall reliability and resale value than the latter.

4 used and 2 new Subarus in over the past 18 years, regardless of all the overblown problems that keyboard warriors parrot blindly on the internet, the most expensive thing I’ve ever had to replace/repair on these vehicles was CV axles, and only on ones on the far side of 175k. Both the 2009 Forester and 2018 Forester never had anything more than brakes, lightbulbs, and fluids changed. My ‘01 Forester, ‘08 Tribeca, and ‘07 Impreza have gone well past the 175k mark with nothing major; the ‘05 Outback finally needed a center driveshaft bearing at 18 years old; $450 for a complete DS and an afternoon on ramps.

But yes, OP, drive them both before deciding. Definitely different driving experiences and vehicle classes!

I see people replacing cv axles on older suby for wobble, they buy new or reman axles and it still wobbles. The typical answer is to use OE axles only but guess what many times there is still a wobble. Most of the time its a weak transmission mount, it does not have to be broken but just weakened is enough to cause the issue, for this part OE only.
For bad axles I have been using these, believe it or not they work better than anything I have tried inc OE remans. These are made by a Chinese company Wonh and branded Trakmotive (Trakmotive is the Wonh aftermarket brand), GSP, FVP and others, they are all the same. It replaces the plunge cv inner joint with a Rzeppa style with a sliding shaft. This is interesting, this joint is patented by GKN and Wonh is not an off brand in China, I cannot say for sure but I strongly suspect these are GKN joints being made under license, the quality appears good. Look at their..

Fixed Ball Joint – SIO plus Ballspline​

TrakmotiveETAxle.JPG

We lived in Colorado years ago as the little Subarus first came out. They seemed to be a 'cult car' and you saw them everywhere.

I see people replacing cv axles on older suby for wobble, they buy new or reman axles and it still wobbles. The typical answer is to use OE axles only but guess what many times there is still a wobble. Most of the time its a weak transmission mount, it does not have to be broken but just weakened is enough to cause the issue, for this part OE only.
For bad axles I have been using these, believe it or not they work better than anything I have tried inc OE remans. These are made by a Chinese company Wonh and branded Trakmotive (Trakmotive is the Wonh aftermarket brand), GSP, FVP and others, they are all the same. It replaces the plunge cv inner joint with a Rzeppa style with a sliding shaft. This is interesting, this joint is patented by GKN and Wonh is not an off brand in China, I cannot say for sure but I strongly suspect these are GKN joints being made under license, the quality appears good. Look at their..

Fixed Ball Joint – SIO plus Ballspline​

View attachment 149213

Spot on as always, Trav. Trakmotive even mentions the trans mount on their Subaru axle page! 🤣

Back