CrossTrek Wilderness or base Outback?

So I'm been shopping for a new vehicle. I am looking for a capable hatch. Right now, I am driving a Nissan Versa Note, and it is killing me that I cannot tow anything.

I'm looking for something that can tow 3,500lbs, I originally passed on the CrossTrek(1,500lb max) and was looking at the Ford Escapes(3500 with the awd version) I looked at the Honda offerings, and I had convinced myself that a 2024 Subaru Outback base model has enough comforts and it can tow.

Now they are releasing the CrossTrek Wilderness, with 3500 towing, lower gearing, crawl gear and better AWD X-modes.

I like a small hatch with capable towing, I think it is better to tow a trailer rather than dump that money into a pickup truck.

Thoughts?
Base Outback all day long.

Base Outback is a better car and will get way better mileage too. Longer wheelbase also better for towing and it will also be easier to source one. Unless you actually need Wilderness capability this is a no brainer.

Subarus are tough little tanks. Great in bad weather. I'd lean towards Outback in terms of overall value, but I prefer the look of the Crosstrek.

Not that I have anything against carry on.. but sure-trac are a nice step up from most of the models you will see at lowes, TSC etc.
I bought my 5x8 galvanized from Chucks trailer in medina.. Great place.
3500lb easy grease axle, A frame front, fold flat gate with spring assist, Led lights, radial trailer tires.
Its a winner. Mostly I tow 2000-2500lb scrap or about 1000 of equipment (deere 316+ tools)
Its coming up on 5 years old and looks a little weathered (stored outside) but if I power washed the trailer it would look nearly new.

I have pulled it quite abit fully loaded with my jeep cherokee and now my subaru forester wilderness.
The subaru I generally put it in sport mode if I have any kind of headwind otherwise the rpms go up and down alot.
but CVT towing isnt awful.. just takes some getting used to. It also has 8speed manual mode if I want to use that but usually sport is better.

If it has to be a Subaru, you might as well get a Forester. It has that huge sunroof and is available in green :D

My wife’s
BC2AB5A4-F0FE-46AC-8220-D88E842D3685.jpeg

Back