Buying a used but reliable 4WD/AWD vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Might want to take a look at 2005-2006 Acura MDX. Nice V6, AWD came standard, very reliable. We purchased a 2006 MDX to replace our totaled 2000 Olds Bravada (also AWD). No comparison, the MDX is very reliable, and very affordable.

As someone who has had a few 3rd gen 4runners and 1.5 gen xterra, the xterra is the more reliable vehicle. The 4runner is better.

At 230k miles the 4runner feels as tight as a new vehicle. But it always seems to need some small electrical part replaced. Nothing that strands you, but it will annoy you.

The xterra will rattle, it will make all sorts of noises. It will sheer oil down in 4k miles. But it never needs anything fixed. Ever. It just kind of works.

My vote is going to be for a Subaru Impreza or Legacy with the 2.2. I had one that i drove for a living back in the late 90s. I dont think the 2.2 has any of the issues that the 2.5 did. Easy to work on and not much ever seemed to go wrong. 31mpg was my pretty consistant average.

A Honda CR-V would be another good choice, preferably a mid to late 2000s model with the K24. The previous 2.0 might be a little too underpowered.

I personally would look for something with less miles. Does it snow that much up that way on I68 that a front wheel drive car wouldn't work? I mean you are only looking at 18 more months right....so basically 1 more winter?

I'd like to say the 4 Runner but I would have trouble trusting something with that many miles, not knowing the service history. It might be different if it had been me that put those miles on it or if I knew the previous owner(s).

I would look at a Honda CR-V, Toyota Rav4, or Ford Escape if it were me.

Used Mitsubishi Montero's can be found with lower miles and very dependable. They will shift on the long climbs but do fine. A little hard on gas but will get you through most anything when you need it to. Tires are still very important even on 4wd. 4wd wild bald slicks are far worse than FWD with good tires.

In your price range with Awd pure luck if reliable vehicle.

My 2007 Acura MDX is incredibly reliable at 174k and owned since 84k. A drive belt and abs sensor along with broken exhaust bolts have gotten me to $400 in repairs in 7 years ownership.

And power, yep it has a lot plus some. Poor MPG too averaging 18MPG.

If you can find one at a reasonable price, a Toyota RAV4 V/6 AWD would be my recommendation. It is reliable and durable, it is relatively cheap to maintain, it is roomy and comfortable but not too big, and has plenty of power for what you need. Another very good choice would be an older Highlander 3.3L or 3.5L V/6 AWD.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wag123
If you can find one at a reasonable price, a Toyota RAV4 V/6 AWD would be my recommendation. It is reliable and durable, it is relatively cheap to maintain, it is roomy and comfortable but not too big, and has plenty of power for what you need. Another very good choice would be an older Highlander 3.3L or 3.5L V/6 AWD.

Toyota has admitted issues with the RAV4 in the vintage you speak of related to AWD. My sister got handed a $2400 repair estimate for an AWD (diff) replacement and went to Honda dealer and traded it in for a CRV. I believe she was 1k miles or a month over the extended warranty on this very fault Toyota put service campaign on.

https://www.toyoheadquarters.com/threads...on-lsc-zf4.554/

I think the Echo and that 4runnner have pretty much the same power to weight ratio, but the 4runner will burn 3 times as much gas bogging up a grade at 4k rpm...
Can you fit 13" rims on your Echo? Get some 155/80R13 snow tires and it will be the best car you've driven in the snow, plus you'll get some gear reduction which will help.
Anyways, given insurance and registration and maintenance of another vehicle, I don't see how buying another old car can possibly save money? Maintain the two you've got and if one is junk replace it.

Jeep XJ or ZJ. They can be had fairly cheap if you look around, and the 4.0 is a solid motor. Mine has 200k miles with very little done to it. Best option would be to find a manual XJ (if you want a stick). The 4.0 has plenty of pulling power for hills, provided you're not towing. Parts are super cheap as well.

Originally Posted By: madRiver

Toyota has admitted issues with the RAV4 in the vintage you speak of related to AWD. My sister got handed a $2400 repair estimate for an AWD (diff) replacement and went to Honda dealer and traded it in for a CRV. I believe she was 1k miles or a month over the extended warranty on this very fault Toyota put service campaign on.

Honda has had problems with the rear differentials in the AWD CR-Vs as well. The diff fluid needs to be changed regularly if you want to avoid having problems with them. In the CR-V forums, owners recommend that the fluid should be changed every 20k miles. Make sure you tell your sister about this.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
Jeep XJ or ZJ. They can be had fairly cheap if you look around, and the 4.0 is a solid motor. Mine has 200k miles with very little done to it. Best option would be to find a manual XJ (if you want a stick). The 4.0 has plenty of pulling power for hills, provided you're not towing. Parts are super cheap as well.

OP... "I am currently looking for a used and reliable 4WD/AWD car".
After owning an economical/reliable Toyota product, IMO the OP would not be happy with the reliability or economy of a Jeep product. The experience that you have had with your Jeep is an exception compared with what the average Jeep owner experiences.

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper

Otherwise in that $5000ish range you could get a used Jeep or Land Rover

And, IMO this is REALLY bad advice!

Last edited:
I don't know, my XJ has been very solid in reliability with no issue ever stranding me. Parts are cheap and it's easy to work on so I'd recommend one rather than an overpriced, timing belt equipped 4runner with a zillion miles on it.

x2. Funny that the Jeep bashers think their infinite wisdom trumps anyone else's experience.

You say you've had a good Jeep = you're a lucky dummy, they're all bad
You say you've had a bad Toyota = sometimes you get a bad one

They ignore that there's millions of satisfied owners of both and either properly maintained will be a great vehicle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: madRiver

Honda has had problems with the rear differentials in the AWD CR-Vs as well. The diff fluid needs to be changed regularly if you want to avoid having problems with them. In the CR-V forums, owners recommend that the fluid should be changed every 20k miles. Make sure you tell your sister about this.

I have been following the maintenance minder on my wife's 2008 CR-V since new. My differential fluid change code comes up every third oil change, which equates to every 30k miles for my driving habits. The car now has 145k and I have not had any issues with the rear differential. Takes me about an extra 30 minutes to dump the diff fluid and refill it. If I had a lift it would take as long to put it on the lift as it would to change the fluid.

That generation of 4Runner is legendary for durability, but certainly not infallible. You will be nickled and dimed to death unless you are willing and able do a big chunk of the maintenance DIY as others have said.

My uncle in Colorado actually had a 96 or 97 that he used almost weekly for fishing trips in the front range, and I drove it up there a few times too. As I recall, going up I-76 through the Eisenhower wasn't exactly a cake walk when it probably had all 180 HP available. 15 years later...well, it's probably not magically a more powerful engine, but rather the opposite.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I'd skip the Matrix idea since it's slow and even worse with the AWD option. Plus it's narrow and taller than most cars so it really moves around on the hwy from cross winds. Which is another factor you will encounter on I68. You would be much better off with an 05 or newer Camry. Power is fine, wider and lower than the Matrix. Factor in some decent rubber and you will be golden.

The Matrix is better suited for zipping around town. The Camry is much, much better on the hwy.

My last trip with my Echo did encounter severe cross winds on I-68 which was precarious under high speed. My Outback could feel slight cross winds without affecting driving probably due to its weight and the lower center of gravity of its boxer engine. I will eliminate Matrix from my list of consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back