Subaru Outback Wilderness

The all-new Subaru Outback Wilderness. The first of our Wilderness family has just arrived, and it’s taking Subaru capability to new heights. With even more ground clearance, a turbocharged SUBARU BOXER®engine, and a drivetrain tuned for serious climbing, Outback Wilderness lets you go farther than a Subaru has ever gone before. The standard Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive is paired with aggressive new wheels and tough all-terrain tires, and the dual-function X-MODE®has new functionality for rugged terrain. Inside, you’ll find our most technologically advanced interior yet, clad in durable StarTex®upholstery and showcasing an 11.6-inch standard touchscreen. With all the many upgrades and modifications, standard EyeSight®Driver Assist Technology[1]and other safety features have been re-tuned to match the new vehicle height and off-road capabilities.

Outback Wilderness features a standard 260-horsepower direct-injection turbocharged SUBARU BOXER engine that delivers 277 pound-feet of torque and 3,500 pounds of towing capacity. The drivetrain features retuned gearing with a revised front and rear gear ratio for improved low-speed climbing – up to a 40-percent grade. It all powers our trail-proven standard Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive and makes the Outback Wilderness the most capable Subaru we’ve ever built.

It reminds me of the old 2005-2008 era models which I loved and always missed. It even looks like a wagon again instead of an SUV!

More ground clearance, a new X:Mode setting and better offroad tires. I’d bet there are no other practical differences between the normal Outback.

I’d LOVE for it to come with a partial STI drivetrain, with LSDs front and rear, but that’s a pipe dream.

I kinda dig it, having owned slightly lifted wagons years ago. But they’d have to get the gearing and programming right if you’re crawling up something nasty. I’ve ‘wheeled my subarus in the past, but it was plain easier in a solid axle Jeep an AT and low range. Now, if subaru would bring back the real t-case with 4L like they had 40 years ago.... when they ditched 4L, they simply didn’t have the gearing to tackle hard stuff slowly, and were too fragile to use momentum.

Surprisingly lots of people already modify their Outbacks with a small lift and off road tires. I think until 2012 or so Subaru did offer a dual range transfer case in Australia in the Outback so maybe they brought that back with this vehicle? I find the overhangs pretty big for anything tougher than semi-washed out logging roads in our area and I don't think a 0.7" lift is going to change too much. A true dual range transfer case would be nice though and a less jumpy throttle for creeping around... I guess out west there is more of a rated off road trail network you could explore with something like this, and expect to keep it in one piece.
Around here in the woods I liked the old 03 Tracker for exploring, even the small size increase of our 06 CRV made it less fun trying to keep the mirrors on, and the Outback is too big to explore many unopened concession roads.

A revised rear differential with a final drive ratio of 4.44:1 was fitted, and the Lineartronic CVT® (Continuously Variable Transmission) was modified to achieve an equivalent final drive ratio at the front wheels. This combination improves available low-end torque at the wheels, resulting in a superior ability to climb grades up to 40 percent on a gravel surface. The addition of a pressure sensor improves control accuracy at low speeds. Standard dual-function X-MODE includes Snow/Dirt and Deep Snow/Mud modes. Exclusive to Outback Wilderness, a new advanced feature for X-MODE allows the vehicle to switch automatically from low speed managed driving to speeds over 25 mph without interruption of power or performance.

The increased ground clearance, along with redesigned front and rear bumpers, contribute to the vehicle’s ability to navigate rough or uneven terrain. Approach angles on the SUV have been extended from 18.6 degrees to 20.0, ramp breakover angle shifts from 19.4 degrees to 21.2 degrees, and the departure angle soars from 21.7 degrees to an impressive 23.6 degrees.

A little heavy on the plastic on the outside, but the interior looks good. I wish it wasn't a CVT, but otherwise it looks like a really cool SUV.

I've had front and rear lsds, and found no advantage to them vs mybcurrent awd system unless doing stuff like rock climbing but on loose surfaces subarus system should do great. My daily commute involves 27% gravel grade. My mazda does fine, and uses a similar system.

Back