SUBARU ANNOUNCES 2021 CROSSTREK WITH NEWLY AVAILABLE 2.5 LITER ENGINE

Originally Posted by walterjay
An improvement but still a bit anemic as far as power.

Actually the 152HP version puts out anywhere from 142 to 160 WHP. Its seriously under rated. But lets face it its a friggin grocery getter like any other car in its class.

Originally Posted by IndyIan
https://www.motortrend.com/news/15-non-sporty-family-cars/
A 2015 Subaru Outback we tested with a 2.5-liter four-cylinder went around our figure eight in 26.3 seconds at 0.63 g (avg). What else completed our figure eight in 26.3 seconds? A 2004 Cadillac CTS-V, a 2013 Subaru BRZ, a 2003 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra (yes, the Terminator), and a 2015 Mini Cooper S Hardtop four-door. Those all posted a higher average g number, but from start to finish, the numbers don't lie. The Outback is mighty capable.

I think when they went with the CVT as their automatic they did shoot themselves in the foot in terms of acceleration numbers, but I find the Outback isn't that bad to hustle down a windy road. It turns in quite sharply really and if I could figure out how to fully disable stability control, it can be drifted quite easily on snow or gravel. In the stoplight GP its no good but that's OK, it gets good mileage and passing isn't an issue IMO.

The CVT should actually be faster than a conventional automatic, as it can keep the engine in it's optimal powerband all the time, which is born out by CVT Subarus being virtually identical in acceleration to the manuals, despite being heavier. It's also lighter and will have less mechanical loss than a torque converter auto.

Subaru seems to do their CVTs right, too, not programming in a shudder to simulate shifts like most brands.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by littlehulkster
IndyIan said:
Subaru seems to do their CVTs right, too, not programming in a shudder to simulate shifts like most brands.

Actually they do. But its only during hard or moderate acceleration that you feel it. But it is not "fake" it jumps ratios. It does this else when it got up to redline it would have to stay there until the driver got off the gas. I think it would be to hard on the engine. As it is once it hits 5900 rpm iot "shifts" drops down to 5000 rpm..etc.

The CVT uses a chain vs a belt.

I have no issues with the Subaru CVT in the Impreza. I actually like it. A lot of complaints come from people that don't like automatics or how many automatics shift. A good CVT, like Subaru, removes that "gear hunting" or jerky shifting.

Originally Posted by buster
I have no issues with the Subaru CVT in the Impreza. I actually like it. A lot of complaints come from people that don't like automatics or how many automatics shift. A good CVT, like Subaru, removes that "gear hunting" or jerky shifting.

Originally Posted by Al
Originally Posted by littlehulkster
IndyIan said:

Actually they do. But its only during hard or moderate acceleration that you feel it. But it is not "fake" it jumps ratios. It does this else when it got up to redline it would have to stay there until the driver got off the gas. I think it would be to hard on the engine. As it is once it hits 5900 rpm iot "shifts" drops down to 5000 rpm..etc.

The CVT uses a chain vs a belt.

Our Outback is set up be fully variable at light throttle, it will sit at 1800pm to from 0 to 100kmh . So you can have max fuel savings if you want, and if you drive "normal" it feels like a normal 7spd automatic. The main issue is off the line, especially if the trans is cold, the CVT can only handle so much torque and the torque converter multiplies torque until its locked. Also I think it has a strategy of leaving the TC unlocked on cold starts to help build up the trans fluid temps quicker. I don't find it too annoying but if you are someone who likes to leave rubber out of the parking lot at work, a CVT isn't for you.

Back