Ford Ranger or Nissan Frontier

This ranger looks pretty good.
IMG_20221202_121004.jpg
IMG_20221202_121013.jpg

Another 2022 Frontier owner here. I've only owned it a couple of months but so far I like it a lot. Mine is a crew cab 4x4 short wheel base, so the turning radius is nothing like my FILs 2017 Frontier CC LWB.

The hydraulic steering on them feels heavy if you're used to EPS.

The 2022+ have 3.69 gears and M205 axles which supposedly helps for towing.

Great power and decent fuel economy with the new 9spd jatco built 9G tronic.

Neither, the Ford and Nissan and Tacoma in this size are not particularly comfortable vehicles.

Not my idea of long distance pulling vehicle but maybe not your use case.

Good luck .

I know you posted you don’t want a full size, but I would suggest a Ram 1500 with the six cylinder engine. It will pull the trailer with ease. Will be better in windy conditions. Cost will be about the same.

I know you posted you don’t want a full size, but I would suggest a Ram 1500 with the six cylinder engine. It will pull the trailer with ease. Will be better in windy conditions. Cost will be about the same.
Yes, entry level full size trucks are excellent choices, and won't strain as much.
Ram/Silverado/F150, without megabloated options, can be found at a similar price points.

Some of us don't have the driveway/garage space or care for the bigger truck and would prefer the Frontier/Ranger/Tacoma/Colorado. I am not surprised by the bloated option packages that move these small trucks into monster pricing category. But, one can get the bigger fullsize trucks for ~$40k if one watches the options/packages, shops around, haggles.... I can easily lipstick the smaller trucks beyond $50k which I really don't see the point. I can't even consider a Toyota with what the local dealers are doing for markup.

Other than size, and options, I don't think the MPG penalty is much of an issue either, unless critical for the buyer.

Yes, entry level full size trucks are excellent choices, and won't strain as much.
Ram/Silverado/F150, without megabloated options, can be found at a similar price points.

Some of us don't have the driveway/garage space or care for the bigger truck and would prefer the Frontier/Ranger/Tacoma/Colorado. I am not surprised by the bloated option packages that move these small trucks into monster pricing category. But, one can get the bigger fullsize trucks for ~$40k if one watches the options/packages, shops around, haggles.... I can easily lipstick the smaller trucks beyond $50k which I really don't see the point. I can't even consider a Toyota with what the local dealers are doing for markup.

Other than size, and options, I don't think the MPG penalty is much of an issue either, unless critical for the buyer.

Those 17" mirrors on the RAM were a deal killer for me-just wouldn't fit in the garage and not power fold.

Some of us don't have the driveway/garage space or care for the bigger truck and would prefer the Frontier/Ranger/Tacoma/Colorado
This is me. I would like the comfort of a full size but even the smaller quad cab of every brand is 2 feet longer than my 4 door Frontier and won't fit in my garage nor in a city parking garage easily.

Your right about pricing though, and no way I pay what there asking now. The current model 4 door S 4x4 has most of the needed options and MSRP is under $34K. If we ever get back to an inventory position you will probably find one for $30K OTD, which I think is how Nissan designed them to go. I'll wait a few years.

Op didn’t specify why he didn’t want a full size so I just threw it out there. I prefer a bigger footprint when towing enclosed trailers.

This is me. I would like the comfort of a full size but even the smaller quad cab of every brand is 2 feet longer than my 4 door Frontier and won't fit in my garage nor in a city parking garage easily.

Your right about pricing though, and no way I pay what there asking now. The current model 4 door S 4x4 has most of the needed options and MSRP is under $34K. If we ever get back to an inventory position you will probably find one for $30K OTD, which I think is how Nissan designed them to go. I'll wait a few years.

My 2022 Frontier handles like it is on rails and the braking and steering is excellent. It is a lot easier in parking lots as well vs how my Ram 1500 classics were. The major difference to me is the ride comfort. My Frontier is punishing compared to the smooth, cushy ride of the Ram. Every bump jostles your body in the Frontier where you wouldn't even feel it in the Ram.

Like you say, it's the only truck on the market you can get with crew cab, 4x4 and a ton of standard options for ~$35K.

Oil changes and basic maintenance are pretty easy on the 2022 Frontier. They put a little drip chute under the oil filter to route spilled oil out the access hole in the metal splash shield. It looks like you can get at all 6 spark plugs and coils w/out removing the upper intake manifold as well. Axles and T-case are pretty much untouched since ~2009 and all easy to service. No electronic front axle disconnect on them either. All 4x4 functionality is done in the T-case.

I'm not up on the newer small pickups.

But I bought new 1991 and 1997 Nissan hardbody trucks. Both reliable, but were rust buckets and were rotted away in 10 years. But I live in Iowa. We had some cheap old Fords at my work back then, they faired much better and were still running 300,000 miles later.

Maybe Nissan has kicked up rust prevention since then.

I'd go with the Frontier. While I'm not entirely sure how reliable the new 3.8L Nissan engine is, (4.0L was very reliable), the new engine seems to be getting good reviews along with the 9 speed automatic. With Ford having major reliability issues, I'd probably pass on the Ranger.

I'd also look out for the new Colorado with the 2.4L turbo and new 8 speed automatic.

My Frontier is punishing compared to the smooth, cushy ride of the Ram. Every bump jostles your body in the Frontier where you wouldn't even feel it in the Ram.
Another 2022 Frontier owner here. I've only owned it a couple of months but so far I like it a lot. Mine is a crew cab 4x4 short wheel base, so the turning radius is nothing like my FILs 2017 Frontier CC LWB.

The Frontier has a real truck rear suspension. The Ram trucks do ride very nice with the coils, but trucks really need leaf springs if they're getting used as trucks.

The 2022+ have 3.69 gears and M205 axles which supposedly helps for towing.

Kinda weird how they're all different variants of what's marketed as the Dana 44.

I'm not up on the newer small pickups.

But I bought new 1991 and 1997 Nissan hardbody trucks. Both reliable, but were rust buckets and were rotted away in 10 years. But I live in Iowa. We had some cheap old Fords at my work back then, they faired much better and were still running 300,000 miles later.

Maybe Nissan has kicked up rust prevention since then.

Nissan must have done something starting in ~2009 with the 2nd gen Frontier. I hear what you're saying about the Hardbody and 1st gen Frontier. They've all been long gone in the rust belt.

Even in the PR of NY, I don't think I've ever seen a rusty 2nd gen. They've never been a popular truck in my area, but the ones you do so may be beat up, but not rusty.

although i like VAG volkswagen auto group no eco boost anything for ME. the VQ40 in my 2011 SV 4 WD 6 spd manual is GREAT torquey V-6 + tha manual allows ME to decide the best gear. lots of info on the frontier forums to compare + beside the auto tranny pollution from the cooler fixed in 2010 no real issues. my lo miler from Massachusettes has no rust surprizingly, just turned 50 thou last week as its running GREAT, i average 19 in the summer in my hilly mostly local driving after changing all drivetrain lubes to Redlines real synthetics + use typical group III fake synthetic 10-30 in Pa weather. my crashed out 08 anemic 4 banger colly only got slightly better mpgs on the highway as it was a thou lb lighter!! the NON DI is a plus IMO that changed to DI in the newer 3.8 model

Back